Poop

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Poop

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 28 Dec 2019, 17:52

Tucker, my EPI dog, and Sasha, my hound mix, each poo 5 or 6 times a day. They have good poos, their weight is good, they are happy & energetic, but I must be doing something wrong! Tucker eats Blue Buffalo, with all his supplements, and Sasha eats Canidae w/fish oil for her skin. They also get turkey bone broth & sometimes turkey. I read other posts, where people say their dog is still pooping 3 times a day & they are worried, so that makes me think this is odd. I am so tired of picking up big dog poop! Any advice?
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Poop

Post by jilbert57 » 28 Dec 2019, 18:33

I have 2 non EPI dogs. Both eat Royal Canin Dental.
The 13 year old Aussie has always pooped at least 5 times a day. This was whether she ate grain free or grain. Our 4 year old jack poops 2 times a day.
Did Tucker poop that much before EPI ?
I just think it depends on the dog.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 29 Dec 2019, 12:16

Hi Jill--Yes, I do believe Tucker has always pooped a lot, even before his symptoms started. At the height of his sickness, he did pass an enormous amount, much more than now. When we got Sasha, non-EPI, she was skinny, so I beefed up her portions & she's filled out, but even after cutting back on her meals she's still a poop machine. Thanks for the input, Jill, I guess this is just my life! It's all good <3
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 Dec 2019, 18:59

Yes poop is your life with these dogs LOL LOL. As for your non-EPI dog, is the poop firm? Like a #2 on the poop scale? My non-EPI dog only poops 2 times a day - occasionally she will poop 3x but it's rare - her poop are perfectly formed, firm tootsie roll logs. She eats Science Diet Adult Perfect Weight - she tends to be a fatty patty but this has helped keep her weight down.

As for my EPI dog, Doc has always had big poops but then again he's a 95lb German Shepherd. Before EPI his poops although large in size, were perfectly formed, firm tree trunks - at least I call it a tree trunk when comparing it to a tootsie roll LOL LOL LOL. He usually poops 3x a day - I'm totally fine with 3x a day as long as they are firm and formed. When he's pooped more than 3x a day it's because he was dealing with SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) and then he poops 4-5x a day and they are not good poops.

SO, if you have #2 poops on the poop chart then I would not worry at all. However, if you do not have #2 poops on the poop chart, then you might need to try adjusting something, for both dogs. You could try Diggin Your Dog Firm for your non-EPI dog and Slippery Elm Bark Powder for Tuckaboo.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 31 Dec 2019, 08:10

AHA! Madelon, they are both #3. I have slippery elm, and will look for Diggin Your Dog Free. Thanks!---Pam

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Jan 2020, 09:30

Ohhhh, Ms. Madelon, you are a sorceress!!!! Slippery elm for Tucker changed everything, immediately!!!!, and I looked up that Diggin' stuff, which has pumpkin in it, and just started giving Sasha a spoonful of pumpkin w/ her meals, and VOILA! Their "number twos" are both #2!!! Thank you!!!!!---Pam

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Jan 2020, 09:37

BUT, I am wingin' it, giving him about 1/4 teaspoon because the directions were torn off the bottle, mixing it in with his meal, turkey broth, etc...Does that sound like a good dose for a 70 pounder?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 03 Jan 2020, 10:24

Hi Pam,
Great poop report. Here is a link from this site on Slippery Elm:

https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 04 Jan 2020, 08:28

Thanks, Jill. He is also on Tylan--is this ok?

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 04 Jan 2020, 09:24

Hi Pam. Sorry I've been offline - trying to get things done around the house while off from work. Yes you can give slippery elm with Tylan - my boy is on his 3rd round of Tylan right now battling a bad case of SID that started this summer and I give him his slippery elm 2x a day. If the poop starts to go soft again, try adjusting the slippery elm dose - I actually give Doc a little less than what's recommended because the regular dose was too much. Just be sure you mix with a little bit of water a tablespoon or so mix well and then put on the food just before serving.

Doing the happy poop dance for you here in Tennessee.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.