How much Beef Pancreas?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: How much Beef Pancreas?

Post by Madelon » 10 Jan 2020, 13:09

Hey there!! Glad Olesia chimed in with her expertise - she's the BEST and we'd all be lost without her! With regard to the food preparation, some EPI dogs can handle having their food prepared ahead of time and put in the refrigerator, however, in my opinion I would not try that until her EPI is stable - the reason being if the poops go south then you know she can't tolerate having her meals prepared ahead of time. Some EPI dogs do just fine having meals made ahead of time - some do fine eating it cold - others (and what we recommend) do okay with it being brought to room temperature slowly in a bowl of warm water - and others can't tolerate it all. So for now, if you can, I would just prepare them at each feeding.

Keep us posted on your sweet girl
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: How much Beef Pancreas?

Post by Olesia711 » 10 Jan 2020, 20:05

I second what Madelon suggested.... my first recommendation would be to just prepare the food for each meal vs. preparing ahead and placing in the frig.

Regarding how long.... 20 minutes is the average incubate time... some do less some do more. The ONLY thing i caution folks on is to not incubate more than an hour, actually i think 45 to 50 minutes should probably be the max and the reason why is because you don't want to food to sit their and let bacteria set in and then these compromised EPI dogs get more sick.........

OMG... her Hematocrit is is at GREAT levels. WOW!! that is awesome. Izzy never got into the 50's just the lower 40's and i was thrilled! IMHA is scary.... but i al so glad to hear that Lady is now in remission. PHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOunds like your little girl got great treatment. My vet was nervous cause he said he never treated a dog with both EPI + IMHA together.... but we got her thru it.... and that was 7 years ago! Crazy times!

Anyway... please feel free to pop on any time and ask questions.... we all try to pitch in and help as needed :)

IN the meantime, since you are starting with these suggestions, not only ask questions, but please keep in touch with us and give us updates to let us know how things are going... at least until you are comfortable with this EPI routine .
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........