Poop consistency

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Poop consistency

Post by Olesia711 » 29 Jul 2018, 16:19

Yea... i think we all go thru 1st the "freak out" stage, then the 2nd stage where we try too hard/read too much and "exhaust" ourselves... but the good thing is as people chime in and share their experiences AND when you start keeping a log... all of a sudden you will start to see trends/connections Image

Please be sure to let us know what the vet says !
Attachments
litebulb.jpeg
litebulb.jpeg (6.24 KiB) Viewed 5766 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 29 Jul 2018, 21:08

Just chiming in here - you've been given GREAT advice from some of our best experienced members. The only other thing I would suggest is to feed smaller meals - is there any way you can do 2cups of food with 2tsp enzymes per meal? Not sure how many times you are feeding but my boy used to get 6 cups of food so I divided them into 2 cups each as it's easier on EPI dogs to eat smaller, more frequent meals - I fed 6am, 6pm and 8pm.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 29 Jul 2018, 21:10

Oh - if the bobbing for kibble isn't working have you tried feeding on a flat plate and using a wash cloth to wash the muzzle area?

EPI can be frustrating but I promise you will get there!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 29 Jul 2018, 21:58

I can't believe I forgot to add feeding on a flat plate, and that's something I actually do! lol
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 29 Jul 2018, 22:03

Mickey was such a messy voracious eater I used a glass pie plate so the meal didn't end up on the floor!
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Rudysmom

Post by Rudysmom » 30 Jul 2018, 09:08

So, by taking in some suggestions from here and the vet, I've started to mix the enzymes in a small amount of water (just enough to moisten and make a bit of a liquid) and let it sit for 5-10. I then mix that in with the canned food and have it sit another 10 min. I add the dry kibble and mix, letting it sit for another 5-10. Since doing this method, I haven't noticed any bleeding. His poops are pretty good...most of them are a "3" on the Purina scale but I've had a couple of "2" and a couple of "4". I've kept feeding twice a day since that's been our normal schedule but will consider dividing up meals if anything changes or things don't further improve. At this point, I will keep this course for a bit as I think I need to see if he settles a bit. I have had to make changes over the last week and things are currently "ok". I'm away for a couple of days and my husband will be managing it all so I'm not sure how much detail I'll get, but fingers crossed all goes well.

Thanks all!
Oh, and I'll bring Rudy to the vet for a weigh in and I'll try to talk to the vet when I'm there. If not, I'll shoot him an email about the Tylosin and slippery elm. As I'm away, I won't likely be able to report back to you for a few days :)

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 30 Jul 2018, 09:14

Sounds like you have a workable routine going right now. I think waiting and seeing how things go is a good idea. It will give time to see how the changes settle in.
Good start!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 30 Jul 2018, 09:15

That is great no more mouthsores! Glad you got to an enzyme routine that works! Yes please give us a update after the vet visit.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 30 Jul 2018, 09:29

I'm glad to see that you are getting into a routine and are beginning to see some results. When we first start trying to manage EPI, we feel like the treatment is haphazard and we are all over the place......I think because we are trying to balance so many things at once. As someone else mentioned, keeping a log really helps us to see valuable information and patterns that begin to emerge. There is something about writing it down and then looking at what we wrote that helps us look at things in a different way.

Let us know how everything goes.

Barb

Madelon
Staff

Post by Madelon » 30 Jul 2018, 13:25

So happy to hear there are no more mouth sores!! You're doing a GREAT job managing his EPI - it can be a bit tricky but having patience is the hardest part (and something I'm not very good at LOL). Your hubby may surprise you and give detailed information - we are three years in and mine still knows to take poop pictures if I'm not around so I can see what's going on LOL. You never know what's going to pop up on my phone :lol: