Maybe not EPI?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Nking2121
Pet name: Jax
My name: Nate

Re: Maybe not EPI?

Post by Nking2121 » 20 Jan 2020, 17:39

So the results are in.

Looks like no EPI. TLI was normal. However B12 and Folate were both elevated.

TLI - 22.9
Cobalamin - 791
Folate - 15.7

Our vet suggested powdered Tylan and a hydrolyzed food. I guess the trial and error will continue a little longer. Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 20 Jan 2020, 19:44

Here are Cobalamin and folate levels for dogs:

https://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/service/assays/b12folate/

Range:

Cobalamin: 251- 908
Folate: 7.7- 24.4

Can you have the vet send you the test results .pdf?

Yours look in range to me.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Nking2121
Pet name: Jax
My name: Nate

Post by Nking2121 » 20 Jan 2020, 21:00

I have it. It’s from Antech. The value ranges are as followed.

Cabalamin 249-733
Folate 6.5-11.5

I would much rather go with TX AM than Antech on this. So maybe it’s just food sensitivity. Think we may still try the slippery elm bark and see what happens. Still concerned we can’t get him to gain weight.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 20 Jan 2020, 21:25

Not sure why Antech and TAMU folate are so different. My vets use IDEXX and they are in line with TAMU.

JILL
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Jan 2020, 21:32

Hi there. It looks like the folate and B12 are with in normal range so I don't think you are looking at food sensitivities. If the Folate were higher than reference range it would be an indication of SID if there were other symptoms displaying as well. I'm not sure why Antech has different reference ranges but I would use the reference ranges from Texas A&M.

If your dog continues to have symptoms of weight loss, diarrhea etc. then I would talk to your vet about other possibilities such as IBD, etc. That being said it takes time for the pancreas to atrophy soooo it's possible your dog was tested early enough that the pancreas is still functioning - that happened to me. Doc was tested at 3mos because of yellow cow pie poop - it was negative for EPI and he was treated for SID - he was fine until 10mos old he started to slowly lose weight - he was tested again at 13mos old and it was definite EPI. So if the symptoms pursue and other things have been ruled out, you might want to test again.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.