new to EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: new to EPI

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Jan 2020, 05:45

I'm not sure I have the exact answer to your question, Carrie, but a few minutes ago, when I was outside letting my dogs have their morning "relief", in my flashlight I caught a glimpse of Tucker and his muscles. When I see him running, I always think of a race horse...he is ripped! And it reminded me that when he was in the throes of begging to go outside to eat his own yellow runny poo (this is what finally made me start doing research), he always had a bunch of energy, which is different from what others have reported. Now, mind you, my vet diagnosed Tucker through symptoms, only, and through the process of elimination over a couple of months, he felt confident beginning the epi protocol without a blood test. And Tucker is thriving, so I am trying to find a way to justify the expense of further labs---we will be doing the EnzymeDiane stool test sometime soon, which will be useful, if not exact, a tip I got from Madelon. Sorry! To your point, your BEAUtiful Josie may be heartbroken if you stop throwing her frisbee for her, and since you are working not only on her weight, but also her overall health, I believe you should allow her to continue doing what she loves best. Mental health for these working dogs is a big part of their well-being, you know? Also, extreme exercise is a big part of human body building, right? I do feel for your husband; Josie is lucky he loves her so much. OH, and I'm about to try Sport Dog Food Elite, another tip from here. Ordered from Chewy. Tucker has done well on Blue Buffalo 4% fiber, but we're gonna see if he can do even better on this. A little pricey, so we'll see, and we'll let you know how he does. Hang in there---Josie will be ok. LOVE THOSE EARS!!!! ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Jan 2020, 09:58

Hi Carrie,
We recommend you feed 150% of what is suggested split into maybe 3 meals a day. So am, pm, and before bed. Or however you want to break it up.

Here is a link to some recommended diets:

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/

Let her play. Just up the food😊

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Jan 2020, 11:49

Hi Carrie, do you have the results from the Tli test and also B12 and folate if they were also tested? This might help us more. Thanks.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

carrie_m
State: Oregon
Pet name: Josephine (aka Josie)
My name: Carrie

Post by carrie_m » 17 Jan 2020, 14:01

Thank you Jill and Pam we will let her play..
We did the blood test for the EPI and b12 I don’t have the exact results. We just started, doctor called said she has EPI and B12 Deficiency we then started with the enzymes and b12
We are now keeping a log book of meds, feedings and poop
Her poop was a 5 this morning and a 3 this afternoon

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Jan 2020, 15:14

Good on the diary. Maybe at a later date you can have your vet .pdf you the results. I keep all my dogs labs reports in my file cabinet for easy access.
Keep up the good work.

Jill

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Jan 2020, 11:43

Hi Carrie. No reason not to let your dog be a dog :) . We have police dogs with EPI, sporting competitively dogs with EPI, etc. etc. Until her body is fully healed from the inside, however, she might not have quite as much energy as before but once she's stable she should be back to her full energy.

I never asked for records from my vet until we were diagnosed with EPI. Now I get a copy of every test/record/note the vet has on my dogs - EPI or not - so I have a quick reference should I need it. It's also important to have the B12 level from the original test so that when you have the B12 retested you know if you are supplementing enough or if you need to make a change.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.