Question about boarding epi pups

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Roy
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Oliver
My name: Roy

Question about boarding epi pups

Post by Roy » 28 Jan 2020, 15:46

We are going out of town for a few days next month and I have our puppies scheduled for their sleepover camp.

I feel fairly confident in their ability to follow directions when feeding Oliver and using his enzymes. He's stayed over with the camp for 1 night since he was diagnosed. I usually separate each meal into a ziplock bag... I was wondering if it's okay to go ahead and put the enzyme powder required for each meal already in the bag? It is dry dog food. It shouldn't do anything until water activates it right? Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Roy

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Question about boarding epi pups

Post by Madelon » 28 Jan 2020, 22:16

Hi there. Yes you can put the enzymes in the bag with the kibble. Don't be surprised if you have a some loose stools when you get back just because of the stress, etc. If so, try using Slippery Elm Bark Powder . https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. It's always hard on us when we have to leave our babies.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 31 Jan 2020, 09:14

Yes, I too measure everything out and put it in bags for whoever is watching my pup. It works fine, they can add the liquid when it's time to feed. Have a good trip!
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Roy
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Oliver
My name: Roy

Post by Roy » 31 Jan 2020, 15:30

Great, thank you both!