Leaking oil at a fast rate

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jackskat
State: Wisconsin
Pet name: Jack
My name: Kat

Leaking oil at a fast rate

Post by Jackskat » 31 Jan 2020, 19:59

I’m new. My dog Jack is a large (normal over 100 pounds lean) German Shepherd and is almost 8 years old. We’ve been battling diarrhea since October and suddenly about a month ago jack dropped from 103 lbs to 73 lbs rapidly. We had been trying prebiotic/probiotic (provable forte digestive health supplement- still on) and metronidazole and they helped at first but then it got bad. He was eating 10 cups of food per day and nothing stayed with him.
Got the diagnosis of EPI a few weeks ago and added a b12 injection weekly and 1 teaspoon per cup of prozyme original formula. I mix it with water and let it sit 20 minutes before he eats.

It seemed like a miracle. He could sleep through the night, put weight back on, his poo didn’t smell as rotten and was starting to firm and even change from the yellow color.

Now, all of a sudden he’s leaking yellow oil from his butt 24 hours per day and his flatulence has returned. His poo is softening again. I’ve called the vet, brought in a fecal sample and from what I read it seems likely that it’s SIBO? Maybe he needs more metronidazole or an antibiotic?

I’m looking to see if anyone else has battled the smelly yellow oil, as I wait for fecal results and a call back from the vet, this oil is coming out a very fast pace. I keep cleaning him. I’ve fashioned a diaper but it’s not ideal.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Leaking oil at a fast rate

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Jan 2020, 20:04

Have you or your vet checked to see if Jacks anal glands are full? This will cause leakage.

Prozyme is a plant based enzyme and not strong enough for EPI. Your dog needs porcine enzymes with any food he eats.

https://epi4dogs.com/enzymes-in-brief/

Was your dog diagnosed by the Tli test and if so was B12 and folate checked? Please post the test results, it will help us better.

Can you tell us your dogs current diet?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

pommymommy
State: California

Post by pommymommy » 31 Jan 2020, 23:24

This happened to us early on and it turned out chicken was the culprit. My Romeo cannot eat any fowl, and when he does....oily, stinky mess to clean up. It looks bright nuclear yellow with a tinge of green?? Are you by chance feeding chicken?

When I changed proteins, the mess went away :)
Suzy - Greatful for finding this forum and meeting such nice and helpful people.

Romeo, DOB 04/23/2004- healthy weight 11.1 pounds (I should say overweight); EPI weight 5.8 Pounds :(..Currently 7.2 :)

11/18/13 results: TLI: 1.3 (5-35), diagnostic for EPI. Folate 17.2 (6.5-11.5). (Consistent with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth or vitamin supplementation). Cobalamin 458 (249-733)

Pepcid AC, 2.5 mg as needed

Update 11/2/2016 started using Creon 10,000. Update 1/7/2017...the Creon is working. Gained almost a pound in one month! Keeping fingers crossed :)

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Feb 2020, 08:50

Kat, is Jack taking Tylan? It's an atibiotic that helps control SID(small intestinal dysbiosis), which EPI dogs seem to have, too. Taking it longterm is OK. Also, what food is he eating? Don't worry, the people on this site will help you figure it all out. Share as much information as you can, and don't feel bad asking questions & giving details. It is their passion to help people and their EPI dogs. Take care. Oh, and I buy my porcine enzymes from Enzyme Diane, my Tylan from Foy's, and Wonderlabs B12 from Amazon, for after you finish with injections (I think you said he was getting B12 injections.). These are all top quality, and much cheaper than what you'll get elsewhere. Hang in there---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 01 Feb 2020, 08:53

I forgot to say that Madelon recommends trying slippery elm before Tylan, to see if it works. I didn't have luck with it, so Tucker still takes Tylan.---PH
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Feb 2020, 23:04

Hi and sorry for the delay in responding. Was Jack diagnosed with EPI through the fasted blood test? If so, what was the TLI, B12 and Folate scores? What food are you feeding? Sorry for the questions but it will help us be better able to make suggestions.

There are 4 cornerstones to properly managing EPI:

ENZYMES: Most of us use EnzymeDiane Pancreatin 6x - WAY less expensive than the enzymes from the vet - use 1 level teaspoon per cup of kibble, mix in a little warm water until dissolved then add kibble and wait 20-30 minutes before serving

B12: Most EPI dogs have low B12 at diagnosis and if not they will develop it. You can either do weekly injections or use WonderLabs B12 Pet Factor pills but supplementing is for life with these dogs as they cannot maintain their B12 levels on their own - they need to be in the high side of normal 600+

ANTIBIOTICS: In the beginning we suggest giving the proper dose of enzymes, B12 and food a few weeks to see if the gut will correct itself and if not then try Slippery Elm Bark Powder or Tylan antibiotic (45 days and slowly wean off)

FOOD: We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less and avoid peas - grains and peas can interfere with the efficacy of the enzymes. Feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be not the weight your dog is but in smaller more frequent meals.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 02 Feb 2020, 11:19

Anal glands smell , I had this issue wih Kara and it was chicken that caused the leakage, are we talking a lot of oily substance ?

might be worth taking a specimen to the vets

j
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 03 Feb 2020, 18:52

Leaky glands do smell, and infected fluid is black.
If you are using a plant based enzyme, the pilasters in it is not strong enough to digest oils and fats. You really must use the more expensive proper ones made from pigs pancreas.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Jackskat

Post by Jackskat » 15 Feb 2020, 13:16

So thanks to this forum and our rescue we moved Jack from the plant based enzyme to enzymediane 6x, if helped with the leaking- which was definitely NOT anal glands (I know that smell, and the quantities were way to high to be that). Smelled just like yellow EPI poo.

Jack was tested blood test fasting but I never saw the results from the vet. They clearly don’t know a ton about this, but have moved from from the metawhatever to Tylan at this point.
So he’s on a grain free food that’s low in fiber but it does have some peas so I’m going to look to transition him to another one,

He eats about 10 cups of food per day in 4-5 servings. Each one has 1 teaspoon of enzyme per cup. With warm water soak for 20 mins.
He’s on a probiotic/prebiotic daily, the tylan skant 1/4 tsp 2 times per day, a b 12 shot once per week for 6 weeks and then they’ll test levels again. (2 weeks until retest)

The yellow liquid was definitely stopped when I moved from the plant based enzyme to enzymediane, but when he ran out of probiotics the lose stool came back but it’s not yellow.

I don’t have this figured out yet but am getting closer. He normally eats 6 cups of food per day, but the weight gain has been slower than expected with all the different diarrhea causes we are tackling.

Jackskat

Post by Jackskat » 15 Feb 2020, 13:20

Also- jack ate a chicken based grain free food before EPI but could not eat any chicken or poultry the second he had EPI. He’s currently on beef based. I’ve tried salmon and lamb but they didn’t work as good as the beef. I think I might try bison or venison based next, but it’s really gonna be whatever I can find in low fiber without peas or legumes as the number 2 priority after no poultry as number 1