Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
teleftheriou
Pet name: LEO
My name: Tasoulla

Post by teleftheriou » 03 Feb 2020, 14:09

Hi to all,
We are new to the group even though not new to the condition. I have a 15-year-old yellow lab and we have been straggling with gastrointestinal disorders for a long time now. Initially, the condition was ruled out by our vet but now my dog has dropped to 20kg from 29-30kg. In my country there are not vet specialized labs, any routine blood work is done my vets but they do not do any specialized tests. We are now discussing for doing the lab work with specialized labs in any of the surrounding countries. Initially, we tried switching to low-fat prescription diet: he does not like hills so we ended up with Royal Canine (EU version). He seemed ok for a couple of days but then he started vomiting so I took him off the prescription. I believe is because of the corn that is in the recipe – but unfortunately, that is the only one available here. I put him on a home-cooked diet chicken, rice and some vegetables in combination with Lypex that helped a bit but of course has not resolved our issues. I bought lots of books on the canine diet but as I am new to this I am so overwhelmed and have no idea where to start from. I was going through the posts in the forum and many things sound like Chinese to me  so I would highly appreciate your help.
- I read that when it comes to fiber it should be at 4% or less. What 4%? Dry matter or % of calories. If it is on dry matter how do you translate this on a home-cooked diet?
- I have read the recommendations that you do not need to switch to a low-fat diet. If not how many grams of fat/1000 kcal is considered normal?
- When it comes to lean cuts what does this mean exactly e.g. 5% fat 10% fat etc. In our country meat products are not labeled; you just go to the butcher and ask for parts that you want e.g. pork ham leg etc
- Is there any standard on how many grams of protein there should be per 1000 kcal?
- When it comes to starting at 150% of body weight does this mean 150% of his calories?
- Does anyone have any experience in using Lypex spread out in 3 different meals? Lypex is so tricky. At the moment I believe I have found the dose the next day he seems to be bloated on the same dose and is all over again from the beginning. Perhaps we should give powdered enzymes a try.
I apologize for the long posting but I am so stressed about the situation. I am not even sure if I am asking the write questions for formulating a home-cooked diet. So any input on how we can start will be highly appreciated. At the moment eggs and fish do not seem to agree with him so we rely on meat only. Finally, bone meal seems to be giving him tummy trouble. Does anyone have experience with calcium carbonate?

Patsy

Re: New member

Post by Patsy » 03 Feb 2020, 17:25

An amazing age for a Labrador!!
Now, IF it is epi! a lot of questions, have you found the Diet section on the drop down menu on the top right hand side?
It’s easy to get confused by percentages in dry v. wet foods, because of the water content being 70%.
In dry food, fibre should be under 4%, and fat between 8 to 18%. The enzymes happily digest the fat, but not the fibre.
Hills and RC both are high in rice and cornstarch, which as you said, are unsuitable.
My daughter lived in Zakynthos, and pet shops there kept good German brands of dried food, including grain free. I’m sure Cyprus will have similar.
Home made food is excellent, using meat, 20% offal, 20% cooked vegetable like sweet potato, broccoli, green beans. I added ground eggshell for calcium if you can’t get food grade bone meal. Only ever use use raw larger bones or chicken thighs. My dogs haven’t coped with much bone at all, so I ground up eggshell. However , I was nervous about getting the levels right.
Calories...I read the back of a tin of dog food for recommended calories and ratios of ingredients because they have legal limits. Fresh meat is excellent, but I found lamb to be very fatty. Then get a little liver or kidney.

Lypex..I used 2 per meal for my large spaniel, but I think a Labrador needs 3 per meal. You can probably get a cheaper enzyme capsule or powder sent from England, at Chemeyes .co.uk . They have an epi dog themselves and are members here. All food and treats need enzymes.

The 150% refers to adding an extra 50% of your normal food allowance to help your dog regain weight.
Has your vet prescribed antibiotics? Also all epi dogs lose vitamin B12, and benefit from a course of injections, from your vet or he can show you how to do it. My daughter used to buy them at pharmacies in Greece for a few euros.

Ask any questions, anything you can’t translate into English, I can ask my son in law (Greek) to help, he now lives in the UK.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Feb 2020, 18:14

Tausoulia---I am private messaging you a video that talks about homemade food. I am not sure if language is an issue...I apologize if the fact that it's in English is a problem. You may find it helpful. Good luck---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 03 Feb 2020, 18:44

Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.