Struggling with persistent SID

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Struggling with persistent SID

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Feb 2020, 13:53

With the addition of enzymes, B12, proper food and antibiotic the dog starts feeling better. He gets rid of the unhealthy and brings on a new one.

Did you look at our recommended dog foods page?

https://epi4dogs.com/dog-food-options/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Feb 2020, 14:06

Hi and welcome to the family :) . Your GSD is GORGEOUS!!!

A couple things stick out with me - it could be that the B12 shots were not enough for your dog. Some do better on methylcobalamin, which is in the WonderLabs pills than on the B12 shots of cyanocobalamin. Once you are done with the shots please do not wait a month to give another shot - we see too many dogs having set backs during that time because the B12 level dropped. If I were you, I would go ahead and start the WonderLabs Pet Factor pills. They also contain intrinsic factor which helps with B12 absorption.

The other issue as previously stated could be the food. Even the new food you are switching too while it has low fiber it contains grains and most EPI dogs do not do well on grains. Jill gave you the information from here on grain free and DCM - in my opinion you need to treat the life threatening condition you know your dog has first.

What is your goal weight? One food that many seem to do well on and is affordable is Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream.

As for itching - it could be the old malnourished fur falling out and as it's replaced with new nourished fur it can cause some itching. HOWEVER, you said you noticed it last year and GSD as I've come to find out are plagued with allergies. I finally had my boy tested and he's allergic to EVERYTHING - literally!!. Our dermatologist recommended bathing with Duoxo Chlorhexadine shampoo - really cheap on Amazon. I also use Zyrtec but I would not advise using it without consulting with your vet first. The other thing you need to be ware of is food sensitivities - my boy's itching started when I switched his food due to his EPI - the itching, yeast infections, paw infections, fistulas were HORRIBLE - turns out he's allergic to several foods but the main culprit is white fish. Yes he has BOTH environmental and food allergies - but he's the most gorgeous, goofy, loveable boy in the world and I would trade him for anything!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ehellriegel
State: Georgia
Pet name: Fi
My name: Eleanor

Post by Ehellriegel » 11 Feb 2020, 14:30

Hey Kellie!
I have the same issue with my GSD, she has terrible allergies around this time of year and is always chewing on her legs and haunches. This is the first time I've had her for this season (she's only 11 months old), but I definitely notice a difference from the summer! One thing that has worked for me are the Zesty Paws Allergy-Immune Bites - you can find them on Amazon. While they do have some flaxseed and garbanzo beans in the ingredients, it is an extremely small amount so I'm not too worried about it long-term since her food is so good (Sport Dog Elite Herding - Buffalo and Sweet Potato in case you want to look into it). I have been giving two a day for a few months and the difference in her itching is extremely noticeable! I took them away for about a week after she was diagnosed with EPI in case they caused issues, but after slowly working them back in over the past few days, her itching is better and her poops are still on the up and up since diagnosis! Maybe give them a shot? But I agree with Madelon, it could also be the shedding of the fur! Dogs excrete a lot of toxins through their skin. I am interested to see if anyone else has experience with the Zesty Paws brand!

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 11 Feb 2020, 16:32

:D Thank you everyone. That is alot of great info. Get excited when I see responses because I have come to realize everyone truly wants to help each other with this crazy epi mess. I am going to make a decision on the food. I hate that he is on RC Gastro it's soooo $$$$ and the ingredient list is kinda junky imo-
Everyone Thank you again, what a great group of people!
Kellie and kohle

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Feb 2020, 16:59

Kellie, here's another vote for Sport Dog Elite for herding dogs! Tucker is doing GREAT on it, and the bag says his portion should only be two cups per day, but I can't do that to him, and I feed three cups. It's an expensive bag of food, but for my 70 pound-er, the bag seems to be lasting forever. ---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 11 Feb 2020, 17:41

I too used SPORT elite whitefish dog foo.... NO PEAS and my gal did great on it.
https://www.chewy.com/sport-dog-food-el ... /dp/172137

Also... with regard to the itching.... my dog starting itching everywhere too once i started on the grain free food when she was first diagnosed with EPI..... well... my EPI dog thankfully does not have any food sensitivities.... so i tried introducing cold pressed organic coconut oil (started with 1/2 tsp cause it is very rich... watched the poo for a few days and then increased to 1 tsp per meal.)

ANyway... if this is not some sort of food sensitivities.... and jsut dry skin from the diet.... if Kohle can handle coconut oil.... that might be another thing to try. it took about 3 weeks for my gal to stop itching,.. but it worked like a charm
Afterwards i put my other two dogs on the same quality grain free that my EPI gal was on..... they too got itchy and when i started giving them coconut oil.. ditto... within 3 weeks problem was solved.........

The oldest lived to 16 yrs old on grain free....and my EPI gal is knocking on 15 years old........... and she has been on all kinds of grain free foods for 13+1/2 years (she was diagnosed with EPI at 1+1/2 yrs old)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 11 Feb 2020, 18:10

Awesome Pam, Thank you for that recommendation on the food. I don't know .why I haven't made up my mind yet. I thought I had picked a good one before I saw the food list here on the site, and others thought that I should avoid rice which is understandable and being new to the forum, I haven't had much chance to browse everything, and my internet is really spotty. I mostly use the Wi-Fi at work.
Thanks again!
Kohle and kellie