Schebo Test

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Schebo Test

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2020, 19:21

So, I've received the Schebo test, Tucker is three full days off his liver pills, and here is our current situation----Diane's Enzymes, 3t/day, Wonderlabs B12 1/day, Tylan 1/5 t/day, Sport Dog Food Elite 3 cups/day. Everything looks great, and I want to use the test soon. Diane, personally, has assured me the enzymes he consumes will not interfere with the accuracy of the test, so if nobody tells me anything different, I am gonna get a yes or no answer sometime this weekend. Wish me luck. I'm terrified. --Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Tuckaboo Pam

Re: Schebo Test

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Feb 2020, 21:05

OOPS! Another question---Tucker is due for vaccines. I'm sharing this because my only concern is, when we get them, should I expect any kind of reaction involving his EPI? --P
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Patsy

Post by Patsy » 15 Feb 2020, 09:10

A difficult question. Marti was ill after hers.lying around , miserable. A kennel cough vaccine required by boarding kennels gave her kennel cough. She was in early bad stages of epi.
She was old enough to have built up immunity to some of the constituent diseases , the vet felt she was ok to just make do with leptospirosis, a necessity. We are in the countryside, away from other dogs., but plenty vermin. When I was eighteen, one of our dogs contracted lepto, and was pts, and everything he’d touched was burnt as people can get it.
Marti had other autoimmune problems, and whether it was part of epi or caused by that last multi booster, we never knew.
It’s hard to select individual vaccines, drug companies like to package them into 5, or usually 7. I didn’t use flea/tick treatments on her, and only occasionally wormed her, because in the U.K. we really only get tapeworm and roundworm. The occasional tick was twisted out .
There are too many nerve poisons loaded into dogs.
Boarding kennels and insurance often insist on everything being given . My nice vet said he was willing to write a disclaimer for her, knowing she had nothing contagious.
Sorry this doesn’t help you, it depends on individual circumstances.
Springer spaniel Marti had Epi, PLE , MMM just to confuse me. She lived till 12yrs, chubby and happy despite eight years of epi.
Capsule enzymes suited her best. B12 supplements made her into a new dog!
After a cocker with PLN kidney disease, I now have two healthy rescues, a lively, suicidal , small ginger terrier, adopted with pneumonia, and gum disease needing nearly all his teeth out, and a fluffy grey toy poodle/terrier from Greece.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Feb 2020, 09:32

Thanks, Patsy. This helps. A friend lost her beautiful white shepherd to lepto, and she lives on a golf course. I guess you never know. Our vet is holistic, and only gives what is necessary, as she feels pets are over-inoculated, so I guess we'll see. I can't help but feel his immune system might be compromised to some degree. Take Care---Pam

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 15 Feb 2020, 09:59

Pam, Hi. You have helped me in the past, so I hope this will help return the favor I have used this Schebo test, ordered from Enzyme Diane before I did the actual "confirmation" CtlI test (sent to TAMU).

The test was very easy to use, and it showed a positive for EPI result in my dog. And as my dog was showing all of the classic signs of EPI, I started the treatment on my own with help from this forum. My vet at the time (I have since changed vets) Chastised me for buying the Schebo test, calling it a waste of $$$, to which I replied, "well, you keep telling me it's Ibs, or Ibd, and he is not improving so I am going to do what I need to do to get my dog on the right track" THANK GOD FOR THIS FORUM. I believe my dog would have wasted down to critical if I didn't keep pushing for answers and had only went with that original vets advice. I'm not saying he's terrible, but vets need to be more "open" to possiblities, you and you alone know more than anyone when something is wrong with your dog. I am so glad Diane carries that test. I believe it helped me to keep pushing for my dogs actual correct diagnosis. As I have said in another post the vet he had was Not pushing for the actual blood test that confirms EPI. As a result of the great people on this site and my insistance my dog is well on his way to stable. I wish the best for you and your dog truly. Just read the directions and make that determination based on the dogs symptoms, and that test.
Good luck to you!
Kellie and kohle

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Feb 2020, 11:38

Thank you so much, Kellie.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Feb 2020, 12:52

Kellie! I'm reading the instructions, and I know it's crazy, but I still need additional directions. If you can remember from the pamphlet, after you give the tube one last shake, and you remove the tip from the tube, how do you also get the cone out, in order to insert the pipette? In the beginning when you turn the tip counter clockwise, it leaves the cone in place, so this time do you have to pull on the cone? I really don't want to blow this. Thank you so much. Pam

Kohlesmomma

Post by Kohlesmomma » 15 Feb 2020, 13:17

Pam, from what I remember, I shook the mixture (stool sample + reactant) gently to blend it .the tip is sort-of turned to remove it, insert pipette, use the pipette to remove the mixture by squeezing the enlarged part of pipette, the pipette end goes directly over indicator circle. The correct # of drops is placed in that indicator and then you let it sit for I believe 15min
That is from memory of 3 months ago. I wish I had it in front of me. I could help you more if it was.
I know the test is invalid if it sits past an hour.
Gosh I hope you can get it. I looked for a tutorial on the Schebo site. Of course nothing.. I'm going to keep looking as like I said I did this test like 3 months ago.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Feb 2020, 15:44

Thanks, Kellie. I emailed Diane...my question is, when you remove the tip to collect a sample, the cone stays in the cylinder, but in the picture where you extract the wet sample the cone is out. I see myself spilling it all over the place. I am someone who can't open bottles of Gatorade & laundry detergent, so I anticipate getting this wrong, too. Grrrr. Please don't spend any more time on me---I'm just being neurotic.

Kohlesmomma

Post by Kohlesmomma » 15 Feb 2020, 15:51

Gosh, I wish I could help more. It seemed to me that it was a tad bit to remove that one peice. But I felt over all it was pretty easy to do. But I was nervous doing it believe me. And you not neurotic. Your communicating with someone who lost her car keys, and later found them in the refrigerator, and it's just me and the dog. I can't blame the dog. Anyway, I am hoping you get good results with it. That test just pre-confirmed what I felt I knew all along, and 3 months ago I was so lost with all this because my was sinking, and his vet he had at the time was so not helpful.
Anyway. I really am hoping things turn out for Tucker for you. Will be praying.
Kellie and Kohle