Vet appointment

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Angboys3
State: Texas

Vet appointment

Post by Angboys3 » 30 Jul 2018, 13:05

Our standard poodle Bella had her vet appointment this morning. They did a full GI panel including EPI and B12 test. We will get the results in 2-3 days. I will try to figure out how to post her in house blood work. The vet said everything was normal but ALT which was high. She doesn’t think diabetes. She agrees some kind of malabsorption probably EPI.

They will get more enzymes tomorrow so we can start her on them. I also ordered the sample from Diane so we can get going on which ever works better because her symptoms have gotten worse over the weekend.

Thank you for the help! I was able bring my girl in fasting with a fresh stool sample. So I think that helped speed up the process.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Vet appointment

Post by Madelon » 30 Jul 2018, 13:15

Thanks for the update. So glad you got the test done - waiting is the hardest part. While we never want EPI, compared to lots of other dog diseases/conditions, it's one of the easier ones. You said her symptoms got worse over the weekend - is she currently getting enzymes? If so, how much and how are you preparing?

I know your overwhelmed and stressed beyond belief right now, but when you get a chance if you could include a signature with your profile with current symptoms, food, enzymes, etc. it will help us be able to offer suggestions better and hopefully not have to keep asking you the same questions over and over :)

Please keep us posted and remember you're not in this alone - we are all here to help you!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Angboys3

Post by Angboys3 » 30 Jul 2018, 13:56

No enzymes yet. Vet was out till tonight. I ordered from Diane as well but we won’t know for sure if she has EPI for a few days. But going to start enzymes anyway as soon as we get because it seems so likely.

As far as symptoms, she is just losing more weight. Pooping a lot despite eating several times a day. TOW pacific. Down another 1lb and a half in the last 10 days for a total of like 6 lbs probably more like 9 lbs though.

Fingers crossed we can get her diet figured before she loses anymore weight.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 30 Jul 2018, 16:26

So sorry your pup is struggling so. I'm so glad your vet tested for EPI, hoping you get the results soon.
It's fine to start enzymes for the short term before your blood work comes back, it won't hurt anything if she doesn't end up having EPI, but you wouldn't want to treat long term without a diagnosis.
As far as the diet goes, are you just referring to getting enzymes on board? Or are you wanting to change her food?
TOW is a viable option for EPI dogs, my girl eats that now. So if you are wanting to change foods, I would leave it for now until enzymes are on board and see if it will agree with her. If you need to change foods, you can address that once you have her on the new routine.
Once you get the enzymes going-to help her regain weight, feed 150% of what the recommendation on the bag is for her goal weight, not her current weight. This will help her catch back up on the weight she has lost. Once she regains, you can gradually reduce until she is again eating the normal amount of food based on her weight.
Please keep us posted when you get your results.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 30 Jul 2018, 16:44

I am sorry you are going through this with Bella, but glad you have done the testing. This will give you a definite answer about EPI. This is the hardest time, when you are watching your pup lose weight and feel like you are not helping her. As Lis said, you can start the enzymes before you get the tests back.....they won't hurt her and it will only be for a short time if she doesn't have EPI. If she does, you will be getting a head start.

Let us know what kind of enzymes your vet gives you so we can help you with the dose. Usually, we recommend 1 teaspoon of powder per cup of kibble, I add a small amount of warm water (not hot) to the enzymes, stir or shake to dissolve and then pour the enzyme water mixture over the kibble and mix thoroughly. Let soak for 20 to 30 minutes, then feed. There may be different directions on the ones you get, so let us know what they are, so we can help.

I know this is a very tough time for you. We have all been where you are and remember what it feels like. If Bella has EPI, we will help you manage it, so try not to feel too overwhelmed.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 30 Jul 2018, 23:25

Sorry your pup might have EPI. You have been given some good tips already, so i won't repeat, but i did want to mention that if this is EPI, it is very typical that the ALT will be elevated.... that usually happens because SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) is in play.... and it just indicates that there is an infection going on.. which is what happens with SID and especially with many gastrointestinal conditions.

No big worries, if this is EPI, then the elevated ALT is from SID and it will go down once you get the SID under better management. either with prebiotics and if that doesn't work, then a course of Tylan antibiotic is the 1st antibiotic of choice nowadays to treat this :)

Please keep us posted on ow things go and what the test results are.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Jul 2018, 10:20

Let us know the results of the bloodwork when you get them. If you go to the homepage and through the 3 tabs upper right click to bring up all the tabs, go to Enzymes. If you read through there is a section on "enzymes in a pinch" that you can get at the health food store. I think one is Now foods porcine enzymes . They aren't as strong but they will help until Diane's come in.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Angboys3

Post by Angboys3 » 01 Aug 2018, 10:42

Thank you! Good to know. We were able to get 14 tablets of Pancreplus as a trial from the vet as the EPI is such a likely diagnosis. She doesn’t want to give us more yet till the blood results come in but at least it will tide us over till Friday when the other comes in.

I am going out of town on Friday! Not the best time but at least my college age kids are going to take care of her at home while I am gone, I have a fear of going out of town as I had a dog that had a major health issue when we left for a few days. We couldn’t save him but then he was in a kennel.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 01 Aug 2018, 16:12

Hi...Leave your kids instructions for the dog....we all have done it many times. We can help them if they have questions... please post the results when you get them!
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.