Opal the corgi - vomiting and bloody runny stool

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bri S
State: Washington
Pet name: Opal

Opal the corgi - vomiting and bloody runny stool

Post by Bri S » 14 Mar 2020, 11:39

Hello!

I have updated my signature to the meds that opal takes daily, and has done so well with in the past! For seemingly no reason about two months ago she started having squishy stools with blood again. In the past a combo of endisorb and Metronidazole had gotten her back on track. We did one week of the two added meds, didn’t clear up. So we thought maybe the bad guy health hadn’t cleared up.... so we did them for two weeks. The blood in her stool was minimal, and more solid. However recently since removing those two meds for the past couple weeks her stools are very sporadic. Sometimes she’s going two or three times, each time gets worse. Then sometimes she has a solid stool. It’s odd.

So I called the vet two days ago and told her about the sometimes bloody, runny inconsistencies in her stool. She suggested doubling opals tylan. She takes 1/16 TSP of tylan two times a day normally, so we did. Things have gotten much worse since trying this. Opal rarely vomits, she did once last night and twice this morning. She’s only had runny stool with blood since increasing the Tylan. So clearly that isn’t helping but making things much worse.

I will call the vet to see if maybe we put her on endisorb and Metronidazole for a week.... to straighten her out a bit. But I don’t know what else to do? She’s done so well on everything before, so the sudden change a few months ago that we can’t get under control is very upsetting.

Suggestions?
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Re: Opal the corgi - vomiting and bloody runny stool

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Mar 2020, 12:17

I am sorry Opal is having issues. Maybe the rice in the I/D isn't agreeing with her for some reason now even though she has been on the food?
Maybe the enzyme dose needs to be increased.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 14 Mar 2020, 12:41

Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate it! ❤️ We are open to a food change, to get her on something that is grain free!

Any food suggestions? We’ve been doing lots of research to keep her on a chicken flavor if possible.... here is the GA for her Hill’s food now. I think I’ve been told peas are a no go for EPI dogs?
536CCBCC-6BAD-41F8-935C-B281F5717FC5.png
536CCBCC-6BAD-41F8-935C-B281F5717FC5.png (957.86 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
My name is Bri and I have a Corgi named Opal who was born on 09/05/17. We live in Washington State and Opal was diagnosed with EPI in September of 2018 shortly after she turned 1 year old. Opal currently takes the following daily: Pancreapowder Plus 1/16 TSP 3x day - Proviable DC Capsule Probiotic 1x day - WonderLabs Slippery Elm Prebiotic 1/16 TSP 1x day - WonderLabs B12 w/Intrinsict Factor 1x day - Tylan antibiotic 1/16 TSP 2x day - Eats Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food / Dry Kibble / Low Fat i/d 3 x day 3/4 cup

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Mar 2020, 12:50

My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 14 Mar 2020, 13:05

If you can't get if figured out you may want to run this diarrhea panel. https://cms2.netnews.cz/files/attachmen ... panels.pdf

Many years ago Nikki came down with bloody diarrhea which had nothing to do with her EPI, it was Cryptosporidium.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 14 Mar 2020, 13:09

That’s very interesting about the diarrhea panel. I’ll mention that to my vet. Thank you!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Mar 2020, 22:36

Thank Micheala for posting that. As i was reading thru all the posts, i was just about to suggest to test for a bacterial infection as this sounds like it could be something other than EPI related.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bri S

Post by Bri S » 15 Mar 2020, 00:20

We went to Opal’s vet today and her usual vet wasn’t in, we have an appt with her Monday hopefully to get some more answers.... in the meantime Opal is back on endisorb (every time she eats - 3 times a day) and Metronidazole (2 times a day). She seems to be doing better, isn’t asking to go outside so often!

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Mar 2020, 08:40

Let us know how the Monday appt. goes.

Jill

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Post by Michaela » 15 Mar 2020, 09:24

Michaela wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 13:05 If you can't get if figured out you may want to run this diarrhea panel. https://cms2.netnews.cz/files/attachmen ... panels.pdf

Many years ago Nikki came down with bloody diarrhea which had nothing to do with her EPI, it was Cryptosporidium.
You're welcome...I hope you get it figured out!

The panel if I remember correctly is around $200, so it's a little expensive but worth it to get some answers.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."