Mom to 10 year old GSD Rayne - trying to figure everything out

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Mom to 10 year old GSD Rayne - trying to figure everything out

Post by Jean » 18 Mar 2020, 10:45

Hi

It's the same in UK

horrible
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Mar 2020, 11:01

Maybe go with Chewy.com.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 18 Mar 2020, 18:03

Good news! (Mostly.)

I just received a call from the vet. They did do the EPI test last year, and found it normal. They've recommended Cobalequin B-12 supplementation for the next 6 weeks, followed by bloodwork (and will do a new EPI test with it.)

Fingers and paws crossed.

**On the virus situation... everyone, stay safe! On our afternoon walk, we passed the local supermarket. Even through the window, you could see there was no bottled water, and the shelves with pasta and paper products were both stripped empty. :/

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 Mar 2020, 18:39

Hi Janet - sorry I'm so late in posting. Your girl is beautiful!! GSD are prone to gut issues unfortunately. You said she was tested a year ago for EPI and it was negative - sorry to be a pain but this would be REALLY helpful - can you please get the TLI, FOLATE and B12 (cobalamin) numbers. If it's been a year it might be worth testing again - my boy was tested at 3months old and his TLI was 16 - perfectly normal - he was tested again at 13months old because of symptoms and his TLI was less than .4!

So, what to do for now. Whether or not it's EPI, it definitely sounds like you're dealing with SID (small intestinal dysbiosis). If I were you I would do the B12 supplementing - I'm assuming the B12 was low which is why your vet suggested it - you can either do shots or use the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills which most of us use.

Next, I would not give chicken and rice - rice doesn't digest and can ferment in the gut so although it's been a long school of thought when they have a gut issue/diarrhea to give chicken and rice it can actually perpetuate the problem. I would try Slippery Elm Bark Powder (you can get it at your local health food store, WonderLabs or Amazon). Here's a link to dosing and instructions https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. If you don't see immediate improvement in the poop (within 48hrs) then I would ask your vet for Tylan antibiotics - you'll use it for 45 days and slowly wean off. Here's a link to dosing https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/ .

Please post the old results and I would definitely consider re-testing but I'm also curious about the FOLATE results in case you're dealing with possible IBD.

Hang in there, we'll help you :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 19 Mar 2020, 10:50

Madelon -

Thanks!!! :)) Rayne's actually male, but he's such a sweet, sweet angel and so handsome! We adopted him when he was 2.5 and really lucked out. He'd been raised with complete love from his family (with three little kids), and they only gave him up when they lost their house, and had to move into city housing... which doesn't allow pets. To keep from breaking the kid's hearts, Rayne's first Mom told them that "he needed to go work with the police and help people." A few years ago, we also enrolled him in a hospital therapy program. Unfortunately, the certifying judge was overly focused on pure obedience. During a sit, he lay down (staying put otherwise) - and she flunked him. But he brings joy wherever he goes...

Great advice, and thx!! On the test last week, Rayne was officially low on B12, and borderline normal on Folate. After 6 weeks of the Cobalin, we'll be bringing him back for another blood test. Tons of appreciate re: the info on rice, chicken and Slippery Elm Bark. I'll also be doing research on small intestinal dysbiosis, thanks to you. Our vet is *theoretically* very good, but it's the first I've heard that term, and this has been ongoing for at least a year and a half now...

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 20 May 2020, 08:51

Hey guys -

An update on Rayne. We had *more* bouts of uncontrollable diarrhea last night and this morning. :|

In the last few months, we've had him on B-12, a bland diet, and I was supplementing with Dr. Harvey's Runs Be Done (which has slippery bark and pumpkin in it.)(https://www.drharveys.com/products/dogs ... supplement)

The vet has now scheduled for a lower intestinal endoscopy and biopsy tomorrow.

Any thoughts on other tests I should ask for? :( The vet tells me that last year's EPI CTLI test was fine.