Mom to 10 year old GSD Rayne - trying to figure everything out

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Raynes-mom

Mom to 10 year old GSD Rayne - trying to figure everything out

Post by Raynes-mom » 15 Mar 2020, 11:26

Hi folks -

Thank you SO much for the creation of this board and group! The situation here (and apologies for gross details):

Our 10 year old GSD Rayne has suffered increasing and inexplicable bouts of uncontrollable diarrhea for the last year or so. No particular trigger we've been able to identify.

EPI was mentioned by the vet at one point. We've had an ultrasound done, no notable organ abnormalities. And SO FAR, the pancreatic bloodwork's come out normal. There's been NO change in diet to explain the flare-ups. (And poor Rayne does try to eat the stool.. which he never, ever did before.) There's been a bit of weight loss, too.

We're open to trying anything/everything else re: diet, tests, supplementation. There's much we don't have identified yet. Any thoughts would be very welcome. BTW - here's our baby! (We had a professional photo done.) He's a saint: loves dogs, cats, kids - the world. He's even a minor celebrity throughout our neighborhood. :)
Rayne in Snow - small.jpg
Rayne in Snow - small.jpg (120.47 KiB) Viewed 3626 times

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Mom to 10 year old GSD Rayne - trying to figure everything out

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Mar 2020, 12:49

Has Rayne been tested for giardia?
Here is a link another member posted for a IDEXX diarrhea panel:
https://cms2.netnews.cz/files/attachmen ... panels.pdf

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 15 Mar 2020, 17:00

Hi Jill -

Thanks for the response! WA state? We're NYC... but I briefly interned in Port Townsend, after college. :)))

I just asked, and Rayne's Giardia came back clear. They're now stating that the ultra-sound shows minor dilation in the small intestine, and they're recommending Cobalequin supplements for six weeks, followed by a new blood panel. Fingers crossed. We also need to up his calories - the poor baby is looking thinner. :(

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Mar 2020, 18:49

We are about 50 miles south of Pt. Townsend on 101 going to Olympia!
Let us know how the supplementation goes. What food are you feeding?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 15 Mar 2020, 19:08

OMG - small world!! :)

ATM - we're feeding Rayne Blue Buffalo Basic - grain free, Salmon and Sweet Potato formula. Out of desperation, I just picked up some Wellness Complete Health Whitefish and Sweet Potato to try something different.

And - on vet's orders to stabilize the diarrhea, he's been getting a sprinkle of rice and boiled chicken on top of that, too.

On a non-medical issue, I see you have a Jack named TJ. Rayne's adopted brother, Thunder (yes, intentional name matching...) is a Decker Rat Terrier that was found as a stray in KY. I'm willing to bet Thunder and TJ have similar attitudes and jumping abilities. :P

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 15 Mar 2020, 22:48

Do you plan on having Rayne tested for Epi at some point?
Yes, my first Jack, Mickey brought me to this site in 2012 with his chronic pancreatitis. He passed in 2014 at 15yo. We waited a year and got TJ. He jumps high and both of them have attitude!

Jill

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 16 Mar 2020, 10:15

Hi Jill -

We did obtain bloodwork on Rayne's pancreas; I had assumed that also covered EPI. (EPI's been discussed back and forth with the vet, so it should have been something they were looking for. I'll have to call and specifically ask.)

Mickey made 15?!? Bless you - and him! I recently saw a video of an allegedly 20 year old German Shepherd. I keep telling Rayne: we're gonna best that milestone, bud... :lol:

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Mar 2020, 12:24

I am not sure this would cover the specific Tli test. It is a fasting test. You might ask your vet specifically.

Jill

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 17 Mar 2020, 11:37

Hello and welcome from me in UK

The cTLI EPI test is specific as Jill says and is 8-12 hours food fasted, so you need to ask questions

I really feel for you my Kara was some protein intolerant , so you might have to try a novel protein

Please let us know

Other than that what has the vet sugested
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Raynes-mom

Post by Raynes-mom » 18 Mar 2020, 07:26

Hi Jill, Jean - thanks for the information... I'll call them up and ask today! He *did* do a fasting test, but I don't know for a fact which one it was. I'll keep all informed as to what we hear.

(Needless to say, things are now possibly getting complicated re: food options for him- we're in NYC, which is edging towards quarantine and some empty shelves, due to the virus.)