Pancreplus

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Angboys3
State: Texas

Pancreplus

Post by Angboys3 » 31 Jul 2018, 18:31

Okay, the vet gave us Pancreplus enzyme tablets to use till we get back the test results on the EPI and gastro panel.

It says 2 tablets a day. Do I crumbled them up one for breakfast and one for dinner. Then wait to activate like the powder. We didn’t get any instructions with it.

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Re: Pancreplus

Post by Riley's Mom » 31 Jul 2018, 19:12

Hi and welcome to the forum

Glad you asked about the tablets. Sadly, most of the prescription enzymes both powder and tablets don't have the correct instructions.
I don't use them, but we do have some members that successfully do. I do know that a typical amount would be 1 tablet per cup of food, plus one for the bowl. So for example if you feed 2 cups of food, it would be 3 tablets total, per meal. Enzymes are based on amount of food given at each meal. You would need to crush up the tablets and incubate like the powder.
Could you tell us a little about your feeding routine? It will help us help you better :)
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 31 Jul 2018, 19:33

Elisabeth gave you the right dosing information. We do recommend crushing them and letting it sit for at least 10 minutes mixed in with a bit of water and food before serving.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Angboys3

Post by Angboys3 » 01 Aug 2018, 10:18

Thank you for the instructions! How much water would you add for a cup of food?

We are currently giving her the TOW pacific with Stella and Chewy duck patty crumbled. I am crushing the tablets and mixing them in the food then waiting 20 mins with warm water mixed in (like a 1/3 cup of water per cup of food or a bit more until it’s wet. )

We ordered a sample of Diane’s enzymes. We are just trying to get through when they arrive. Not sure if I will have enough tablets to get us through Friday at 3 a serving but I did try 3 tablets this morning with her morning breakfast. She seems to like it and was eating well.

I also have some Slippery Elm coming. Pretty sure that SIBO could be a problem. ( Odor coming from the poop, grumbling sounds from her tummy after eating. ) ALT was also high. How many days of enzymes before I add that to her regime?

I am just praying something works. We are pretty broke from the vet bill and money spent on testing. It couldn’t have happened at a worse time of year. My husband just yelled at me for the money I spent but I am not going to watch my dog and my kid’s dog starve to death without a fight.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 01 Aug 2018, 12:49

Hey there. Yes those blasted vet bills do add up quickly - if you haven't already, you might want to talk to your vet and see if they will let you do a payment plan.

As for the water, you just need enough to mix things together with - I use about 3oz for 2cups of kibble with the powder enzymes. Bottom line is if your dog is eating and having good poops then keep on doing whatever you're doing :)

With regard to the Slippery Elm, I would wait a week or two of giving the proper enzymes (dose, incubation, etc) and B12 and see if the gut corrects itself on it's own. Then if it doesn't try the SE. Be sure to keep a detailed log of the changes and take poop pictures - gross I know but when looking at lots of different poop it helps to have pictures to compare them.

Keep us posted!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 01 Aug 2018, 14:00

Hi there..... question for you did the vet also test the B12 level or not? The blood test is called a Cobalamin test- -they are recommended to do this blood test along with the TLI blood test to determine if this is EPI...but some vets don't..

The reason why i am asking is because over 80% of all EPI dogs have insufficient B12 levels... but first thankfully you can now treat at home with special B12 pill that works on EPI dogs and second thankfully.... these specific pills from Wonderlabs.com (Trinfac or Pet Factor B12... same stuff) are cheap too :)

as far as how quickly EPI treatment starts taking effect all depends on how quickly you find the right balance of treatment for your pup.

enzymes right kind administered correctly
a diet that best agrees
B12 supplementation if needed
SID well managed (1) try 1st with Slippery Elm (2) Tylan antibiotic if needed

I know this sounds like a lot, but we will help you every step of the way... and once you find the right balance of stuff.... you'll be amazed at how manageable EPI really is............

Please keep us updated so that we can help you :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Riley's Mom
Staff
State: Virginia

Post by Riley's Mom » 02 Aug 2018, 08:01

I know it seems crazy expensive and overwhelming at the beginning. Glad you are planning to try Diane's enzymes. They were a life saver for us. I was shocked and afraid at the cost when I got my first tiny bottle of enzymes from the vet. If you use Diane's and the B12 from Wonderlabs, your cost will drop and hopefully things will be more manageable for you.
Elisabeth

Riley is a 10 year old Labradoodle. She was diagnosed with EPI in 2014.
She currently eats Taste of the Wild, I cup in the morning, 2 cups in the evening, each meal with 1 Wonderlabs B12 sprinkled over her dinner. Enzymes are EnzymeDiane, 1 tsp per cup of food, mixed in home made bone broth. No other supplements or meds at this time.
Riley currently weighs about 44 pounds, which is pretty heavy for her.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 02 Aug 2018, 08:51

At the beginning, it seems like every time you turn around, there is another bill. We also had a dog who needed a Prescription food to stabilize, so we have to buy our food from the vet. But once you start using Diane's enzymes, and get the B12 from Wonderlabs, you are going to notice a big savings. Keeping a log and seeing the results, watching your dog improve and gain weight, will also help you to see that managing EPI gets easier as you get used to the steps as part of your daily plan.

Hang in there.

Barb

TerryBin
Staff
State: Washington

Post by TerryBin » 05 Aug 2018, 22:40

Did you have enough enzymes until Enzyme Diane's powder arrived? How is it going? In terms of the vet bills (we probably all have horror stories!) I was advised about CareCredit our last cat (has since passed over the rainbow bridge) was in the vet ER (talk about an expensive bill!)....it allows you to defer payment up to 6 months interest free if you meet a certain limit ($250 at our vet). So every month I pretty much have a payment but no interest! Just make sure to pay off the expiring amount or the back interest is added in.
BTW we have used tablets since the beginning (since Dec 2009) with great success. It's gotten a bit more expensive over time but since we had such great success with the tablets we have never made the change.....I've not priced it lately but I remember in the beginning it worked out to just a little bit more than EnzymeDiane's powdered enzymes.
Currently 2 Shiloh Shepherd Pups! Two Shilohs that passed over the Rainbow Bridge.
Taiko was born 6 September 2006 and had EPI; she passed over the Rainbow Bridge 10 April 2019 NOT EPI-related.
Pharaoh born 24 November 2007 and had EPI. He passed September 2020 NOT EPI-related.
Moku born 15 April 2014 and was dx with EPI in January 2019.
Hoshi born 6 July 2019 and does not have EPI
Taiko and Pharaoh were half siblings through their sire; their sire is Moku's grandfather through his Mom. Moku and Hoshi have the same sire.
Moku uses PancreaPlus tablets and receives weekly B12 shots at home.

Angboys3

Post by Angboys3 » 06 Aug 2018, 13:34

We were able to make it till Diane’s enzymes came in. We only ordered a small bag though. We are still waiting to get the blood results back in. Today is 7 days so I am hoping to hear back soon.

So far, her poops seem firmer and not as frequent. She also has more energy since she started enzymes six days ago. She seems to not be quite as starved. So I think EPI is likely. We haven’t done b12 yet though I ordered the pet factor from wonderlabs. She is still having some reflux.

We are still paying carecredit from my own autoimmune medical bills. But, I agree carecredit is awesome!