Few options for enzymes in Canada

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tag

Few options for enzymes in Canada

Post by Tag » 24 Mar 2020, 22:00

Hello
Just wondering what you guys think. I'm absolutely desperate. The only source for enzymes has been one manufacturer in Canada and they stopped production quite a few months ago.

They received new health guidelines and are still trying to come up with a product that is effective and complies. The product is Pankaid. This enzyme worked great.

Since this began we sourced one final container of Panksid and then were stuck. We managed to get a container of Virbac's Pancrezyme. This enzyme worked great.

Tried again recently and the shipment was confiscated at customs. No enzymes, no monetary return.

Now between the pandemic, border closure and health Canada there are zero options.

I've spent the last week contacting companies in the states, no one can ship successfully.

I'm sure you can all understand what a horrible feeling it is to have zero options.

I went with the only quick option because now after waiting on delivery that's not coming we're in a bad spot so I ordered Thomas Labs Biocase.

Someone please tell me that this might be an ok option.

Sorry I stressed and was hoping someone could tell me they've used the Biocase with success.

Thanks. Stay safe. I know the world has bigger problems with the pandemic but this one is huge to me too.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Few options for enzymes in Canada

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Mar 2020, 22:17

Hi, Yes Thomas Labs Biocas is the right kind of pancreatin (porcine) powder.

THe only few things that i do not like is that they (1) include probiotics (Lactobacilius) in it and some probiotics does not agree with some of our dogs (it will give them cramps and loose stools)
(2) they include B12.... well a dog's weight/size should determine how much B12 the EPI animal gets..... this is a one-size-fits-all.... kind of useless.
(3) the Lipase is a wee bit under (at 57,000 USP units) what we generally give our dogs (which is usually around 71,000 USP units)..

But it is the right stuff, just a little light. My suggestion when you receive it is to start with just 1 level tsp per 1 cup of food (be sure to moisten the food with a little water or something, mix, let sit for 20 minutes, then serve. And all should be fine.
If you find that after a few days the stools are still a wee bit too loose, then increase the amount of enzymes by maybe 1/16 to 1/8 of a teaspoon more .... per cup. That should fix it. Just don't increase right from the beginning in case your dog doesn't need more.

THOMAS LABS BIO CASE: Guaranteed Analysis per scoop (2.8 g):

Vitamin B12 (min).............................................. 1000 mcg

*Lipase (dried porcine pancreas) (min)...................... 57,000 USPa

*Protease (dried porcine pancreas) (min)................. 407,000 USPb

*alpha-Amylase (dried porcine pancreas) (min)........ 475,000 USPc

*Trypsin (dried porcine pancreas) (min)...................... 453,000 USPd

*Lactobacillus acidophilus (min)........................ 1 Billion CFU
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tag

Post by Tag » 24 Mar 2020, 22:32

Ok thank you. I appreciate the advice.

I didn't get the Biocase with probiotics because we did have an issue with another probiotic previously.

We also give B12 but injection so I stuck with the Biocase not the Biocase Plus.

I've attached the enzyme values. I think your advice would be the same?

Ok...finally a small sigh. Thank you.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200324-223803_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20200324-223803_Amazon Shopping.jpg (528.23 KiB) Viewed 3737 times

Tag

Post by Tag » 24 Mar 2020, 22:33

Shoot. It appears it's even less.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Mar 2020, 22:58

Nah, don't worry about that... the decrease in lipase from one BioCase product to the next is very minimal... so YES.... just stick to starting with 1 level tsp of these enzymes, give for a few days, but if you notice the stools aren't really good enough (a little too mushy) then increase these enzymes by another 1/16 tsp to 1/8 tsp.

At least you are able to get real powdered pig enzymes... when i first started reading your initial post i was thinking, oh, dear... this person is going to have to raw pancreas or a script for CREON....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tag

Post by Tag » 24 Mar 2020, 23:30

Very thankful I was able to find an option.
Some suppliers here in Canada have suggested that since the Biocase isn't a regulated product that there's no guarantee what's actually in it. That admittedly had me concerned.

Raw pancreas wasn't really an option. We're raw feeders but again health canada requires that you have a permit to purchase or obtain animal organs.

Creon seems like a complicated option however with the Coronavirus pharmaceuticals are also being dispensed very carefully.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Mar 2020, 13:17

I really feel for you

I spoke to the manufacturers some weeks ago, and it appears that they cannot get the product ingredients passed for production by the Canadian government

so it would look as if Pank Aid is a non event for some time

the alternative that you and Olesia have found is a relief

I no longer have Kara and I would havee moved mountains to get her supplieslet us know how you get on

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Mar 2020, 14:56

i am so glad you found an option. These are such hard times for all of us. I can only imagine how stressed you have been, thinking there is no alternative. I hope you can continue to source these enzymes.

Think of you.

Barb

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Mar 2020, 19:27

If you run into future issues with sourcing the Bio Case enzymes in Canada, please contact us so that we can see if we can help you find another source..........

Tag

Post by Tag » 25 Mar 2020, 20:25

Thank you so much to all. In the midst of the Coronavirus it's really hard to get anyone interested in a lack of enzymes and I understand that too.