Aggression from enzymes

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tag

Aggression from enzymes

Post by Tag » 25 Mar 2020, 11:31

Is it possible that an enzyme can make a dog aggressive?

He was diagnosed with EPI 2 years ago. We used the same enzymes until recently when it became unavailable. The most recent enzyme was Pancrezyme by Virbac.

He has a B12 injection of 1 ml every 2 weeks after determining his need through series of bloodwork with our vet.

We went through a trial initially of probiotics which we stopped and an acid reducer which we stopped after neither was making a positive difference.

We've had a real problem with finding enzymes so there's been a need to try whatever we can find.

We're having a problem with aggression that's highly unusual for our dog. He's a Bernese Mountain dog and has always been nothing but patient, kind and relaxed. His aggressive behavior is very new. He's 5 years old.

I'd appreciate your input. I can't seem to find any information on whether the enzyme could be contributing.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Aggression from enzymes

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Mar 2020, 11:50

I have never heard of aggression from enzymes- -nor have read any research to support this..... and to date, i have read thru tons of research and heard thousands of EPI experiences over the course of 13 years....... HOWEVER.... i have also learned never to say never....

Over the years ... the few cases of sudden aggression in EPI dogs that showed up all turned out to be either low B12 or another health issue...so, yes, you may need to increase the B12 (or not)..... but if i was a betting person... i would first have the vet check him over for some other health issue possibly going on...........My reasoning is that even thou it could be B12 and you might need to increase it, the fact that he is already receiving some B12 and even thou it might not be enough, at least he is still getting some B12.

From what you described, it also does not sound like a learned behavior from lack of sufficient B12 that now needs behavior modification.....

I hope this helps a little and please let us know what your vet says..............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Aggression from enzymes

Post by Jean » 25 Mar 2020, 13:03

can I ask if the b12 you are using is the generic and darp pink in colour
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx