If you had a choice of enzyme, which would you pick?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
CanadaJen

If you had a choice of enzyme, which would you pick?

Post by CanadaJen » 04 Apr 2020, 11:26

Hi All,

I'm a fairly new member (from Canada) who's been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks now gathering info about EPI.

I have an elderly Pomeranian mix who we suspect has EPI/SID.

We are having the TLI test done this week.

But, in preparation for it coming back positive, I would like to start thinking about what enzyme to purchase (especially with COVID-19 affecting things).

IF you had a choice about what enzyme to try first, what would be your choice? And, second choice?

I've read that Creon is particularly tricky to get 'right' but is it worth the effort more than other choices?

Thanks for the help and stay safe everyone.

Jen

Michaela
State: Texas
Pet name: Nikki
My name: Michaela

Re: If you had a choice of enzyme, which would you pick?

Post by Michaela » 04 Apr 2020, 12:50

What worked for us:

1. Viokase - it works great but it's expensive.

2. Pancrezyme - worked just as good as Viokase

3. PancrePlus - I'm not 100% sure if this is the one since it's been a few years but one gave Nikki mouth sores, other than that it worked great. http://www.vetone.net/Default/CatHeader ... a70ad325c4

4. Pan-tenex - we are using these currently and so far no issues.

These didn't work for us:

Pancreatin 6X from Enzyme Diane - I was not able to get normal poops on these, we are in the minority since they work for most dogs.

Creon: It took a while to get normal poops but after a couple weeks her EPI symptoms returned and I went back to powdered enzymes.

R.I.P. Nikki 11/21/2009 - 05/23/2023

Nikki was diagnosed with EPI in 2010
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat canned
Slippery Elm syrup for stomach issues
1 tsp Pan-Tenex enzymes with each meal
Weekly B12 shots, pills didn't work for her
Tylan for life

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever."

CanadaJen

Post by CanadaJen » 04 Apr 2020, 14:14

Hi Michaela!

That is very useful! Thank you!

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 04 Apr 2020, 14:48

Hello and welcome,

We used Viokase at the very beginning because our vet sold it to us, but it was so expensive, we switched to Enzyme Diane's Pancreatin and used her enzymes for 10 years. They worked beautifully.

Barb

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 04 Apr 2020, 17:05

we used EnzymeDiane's 6x for 13+1/2 yrs and NEVER had any issues. If anyone has questions or issues, they can contact Diane and speak with her directly. the good thing about EnzymeDiane's enzymes is that they are USDA (American) sourced... where as a lot of the other generic enzymes the pancreatic glands are sourced from China .... the brand names, although good... are much more expensive then the generic brands.

However... because you have a small breed dog, although the brand names are more expensive, you do not use as much as someone with a large dog that has to use more... so expense, although an issue, is not as big of an issue as it is for some.....

When i first started using enzymes i was given Pancrezyme.... and they were good but expensive. That is why i switched to EnzymeDiane.
99.9% of the time when folks think there is an issue with the enzyme it is either not being administered properly, the food is not optimal and usually what they are really seeing are SID symptoms ... not that the enzymes are not working. If SID is not fully controlled (and ANY little thing can throw it out of whack!) it can look like the problem is the enzymes cause it coincides with a change in enzymes.

Problem though, is if you are in Canada, there could now be a problem with getting the generic enzymes shipped to Canada from the USA or other countries...... so you very well may have to start with brand name enzymes until all this virus stuff is done with and supplies are more plentiful.

In running this website & forum for 12 years and from working closely with the veterinarian researchers, what i can share with you is that overall powdered enzymes like the brand name enzymes and generic enzymes are much more stable and consistent to use in treating an EPI dog. CREON works, but is tricky to get right for each individual EPI dog... but the reason why we are thankful to have the CREON option is because not all countries around the world have access to the powdered enzymes like we do in the western hemisphere. So that is when CREON is used and is used successful but after much trial and error. Also... some dogs with severe allergies to pork actually do better with CREON vs. trying the alternative beef pancreas enzyme products. Also.... just in case you get pills, no matter what brand, they will need to be crushed into a powder and extra given. However, with CREON or any other "enteric" coated product you do not crush the pill or incubate it...

Raw pancreas can also be used, but with raw, the potency of the gland is not consistent from one gland to the next which you always have to be aware of and ready to up the amount given.

Considering everything that is going on right now and the fact that you are in Canada.... for now if your dog is EPI positive, i would go with a brand name, any one of the ones that Michaela mentioned......at least until things settle down, and then if you want, check into the generic brands later....depending on what is available and what you can get into Canada.

Hopefully this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

CanadaJen

Post by CanadaJen » 07 Apr 2020, 15:53

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Very informative and useful.

Yes, unfortunately, depending on the test results, with this Covid-19 situation, I may not have a lot of choices. But, hopefully I can be as prepared as possible.

Take care and stay safe!
Jen

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Apr 2020, 23:39

Hi Jen,

Hoping you and your family stay &healthy/safe too!

If your choices become limited and you have to get CREON... just let us know and we can help you figure out what the best administration of it is for your dog....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Apr 2020, 21:36

I've been using EnzymeDiane 6x for 5yrs - she saved my wallet and my dog :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 13 Apr 2020, 11:30

Hi. I believe that I have tried them all for my dog Kohle, and it's definetly Enzyme Diane for us

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Apr 2020, 08:48

Hi Jen,
The vet sent us on our way with a bottle of Pancreazyme and instructions of 1 teaspoon with every meal. Well Mick was 18lbs, had pancreatitis and ate 4 meals a day of 1/3c kibble per meal. I kept thinking oh no at 4 teaspoons per day this bottle won't last long and price will be ruinous!
Did some research and found this group in 2012. Got on the right dose of enzymes(1 teaspoon enzyme per 1 cup kibble, not per meal!)Finished that Pancreazyme bottle and was so relieved to order from Diane. Cost was a great savings plus you can try a sample bag for a small price. Mickey was on enzymediane.com 6x strength for 2 years and worked great.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.