Bad poops are back - Kira’s story

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bpcooper14
State: Virginia

Re: Bad poops are back - Kira’s story

Post by Bpcooper14 » 06 Aug 2018, 20:41

This sure escalated quickly! :lol:
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Aug 2018, 23:15

Doc is quite the unique pup with his propensity for flies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Aug 2018, 14:13

We love to laugh here.......remember the song from Mary Poppins.......oh, my age is showing.......

Barb

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 07 Aug 2018, 14:54

Welcome to the group and Kira is gorgeous. Dizzy has the occasional throw up. I just keep a close eye on her that day, and she's usually just fine. Dizzy is a yard scavenger, so I never know what she eats when I'm not looking.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 09 Aug 2018, 16:06

Olesia711 wrote: 03 Aug 2018, 17:29 Hi Kristina..... OMG Kira is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! wow!!

Okay.... what i suspect you are seeing is SID (formerly called SIBO).... the latest is that all dogs with EPI have SID and so far, even when we think all is fin cuz poops are normal.... the SID is still there in an EPI dog, just well controlled.

My experience has been that when you see the poos start becoming larger... very often it is usually that the food is not 100% optimal. ......BUT....sometimes that food, although not 100% optimal, is actually the best that you have found up to this point. So sometimes it is worth changing, sometimes it is not.....

The other thing is that you stopped the Tylan and Probiotics.... some EPI dogs need multiple courses of Tylan ..... and then some even need to stay on Tylan (just a small maintenance dose) for the rest of the lives.

Also.... what they have recently discovered is that EPI dogs do NOT (1) have enough bacteria in the gut (2) nor do they ahve a big variety of bacteria (some strains are actually missing) .... so if you give a probiotic, be sure that there are prebiotics in the product also and if not, give prebiotics. Prebiotics is food for bacteria.
Here is a picture that explains Probitoics and Prebiotics:

So....there are various ways to address this,

One option is put Kira back on another course of Tylan. If you do this, I would also put her back on the probitoics jsut be sure there are prebiotics with it Then when you get towards the end... slowly reduce the amount like you did before ..... and then when completed, again...watch to see if the poos start to get a little larger again... if so.... this might be your clue that Kira would be best to be kept on a maintenance dose of Tylan.... you can go with as low as 5mg/kg if she appears to be a lifer with Tylan.

Or.........do your research into different foods... Usually TOTW-Pacific STream works very well with "most" of our dogs" as it's fiber content is nice and low at 3% (if i remember correctly) but every so often there is one that it just doesn't agree with it...

If you decided to try changing the food.... you can do trial and error with different brands of commercial food and different composition... but.... althou it sounds like a little more work, in the end it is actually a short cut.... if you do want to change foods... make your own, but start with limited ingredients, like baked, skinned and defatted chicken breast (maybe 75-80%) and mashed sweet potato (maybe 25-20%)... watch her poo... and then add 1 ingredient at a time (after a few days... and this will help you identify what works with her system and what triggers it. If you decide to stay with home-prepared, you cannot just give food ... after 3 weeks or so, you will need to start adding a quality doggie vitamin and some sort of bone supplement. My gal did best on higher protein and lower carb foods... however, once my gal became a diabetic and i had to increase the sweet potato... to compensate, i had to increase the enzymes by a pinch.

SO.... that is yet another option.... you can not change anything you are doing now and just increase the enzymes by 1/8 of a tsp..and if it helps but not 100% then increase by another 1/8 tsp..... and continue until you get the desired results.... but in this case, i would consider still adding the probiotics with a prebiotic to help things along. ...

OR........... another thing you can try is not change a thing but introduce slippery elm to encourage bacterial growth and get that SID under better management. Check out the SLippery Elm page.... for dosing guide... but jsut know that this prebioitc has a lot of SCFAs in it and too much can also give loose stools so sometimes with Slippery Elm less is even better. Always get powdered Slippery Elm...not capsules, cause you need to be able to control the dose.

SO many choices... eh??!!!! See which one you think would be best to try first, and KEEP NOTES!!!!! that will help you see what helps or hinder Kira.

Hope this helps a little!
thank you olesia for this valuable suggestion .......
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 09 Aug 2018, 16:13

Kristina, a warm welcome. Yes, Kira is beautiful :D

I was reading the comments over here and all the advises are very much useful. One think I can tell you that we have to keep patience and it is very important to fight against epi and sibo. I am cheering up all members for their fighting against epi and thanks to all again for sharing their valuable experiences.

Samir
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 10 Aug 2018, 08:58

Hi and welcome to our EPI Family! First of all.....Kira is absolutely gorgeous!

My Piper was a Tylan lifer as her poops would start to go off the rails as soon as I'd stop it so I finally just keep giving her about 1/8 tsp per meal and it was good.

My non-EPI dog, Koda, throws up bile now and then in the morning and it's usually always if he's gone too long without eating but I used to panic because being an EPI parent makes us worry warts when we weren't before :) . Koda takes Pepcid for his belly when it gets upset.

You have joined an amazing family right here and this website/forum is responsible for saving the lives of countless dogs. My Piper would not have had a chance if I had not found this site back in January of 2014. I will be forever grateful.

I hope Kira is doing well
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.