New EPI Dog Scottie throwing up

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
mkazin
State: California
Pet name: Scottie
My name: Maia

New EPI Dog Scottie throwing up

Post by mkazin » 16 Apr 2020, 12:00

Hi again,
Thank you all so much for your help so far. Just got Enzyme Diane's shipment in yesterday and happy to be switching from the viokase- it's very expensive and smelled much more chemically than Diane's.

Scottie (around 1 year old GSD/pit mix probably)started throwing up when we started giving her enzymes about two weeks ago, so I called the vet and he said to go down to 1 teaspoon of enzymes for a while and give her much more wet food to mask the taste. We did that, and she was doing much better, until we found some more bile-y throw up last night and then she threw up yellow bile again this morning.

Is this normal? I'm switching to Enzyme Diane's pancreatin this morning and I'll see if it's the Viokase specifically. Also calling the vet.

Thanks!

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: New EPI Dog Scottie throwing up

Post by Montgomery » 16 Apr 2020, 12:54

How often are you feeding her? Sometimes if the animal's stomach is empty too long, the stomach acid builds up and they become nauseated, and then you see the bile vomit. You may need to offer her a small meal with enzymes before bed.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Apr 2020, 19:47

Ditto to the advice above (empty stomach) can trigger bile/acid..... BUT.... when you see that yellowish bile.... it "usually" means that there is a bacterial upset in the gut that might need an antibiotic to clear it up.... or.... it could be typical SID/SIBO (all EPI dogs have SID to one degree or another and we only treat when needed... to get it under control) ... do you have any Tylan on hand? if so, i would call your vet, tell him about the yellowish bile and ask him if you should first try "calming" things down with a prebiotic & mucilage like Slippery Elm powder ... or would he/she prefer you to just go ahead and treat with Tylan (100 gr. Tylosin Tartrate soluble powder) antibiotic made by Elanco ...actually originally made for honey bee, chickens and pigs, but now used on dogs for SID.
The good thing about this yellow bile/stomach upset, is that it is not serious and once treated, it passes in a few days.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 16 Apr 2020, 21:12

We actually did get Tylosin but discontinued it temporarily because we and the vet initially thought that could be the culprit. But I'm guessing we'll start it back up, since she's still throwing up without it.

Vet told us to give her pepcid half an hour before meals, so we started that.

She hasn't wanted to eat her breakfast very much, so maybe it is that her stomach is too empty.
We also gave her a new nylabone recently and she's going at it more than ever and swallowing lots of the tiny pieces- could it be that?
Thanks!

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 16 Apr 2020, 22:59

I personally don't like nylabones for the very reason you mentioned... some gnaw on them so much that they break of itty bitty tiny pieces that they swallow... not so sure that that's such a good thing.

If she doesn't want to it, it could be because her tummy hurts... SID in some dogs make them feel sick, and yet with other dogs, they can have raging SID and you'd never know... it's crazy!

Anyway.... what i do know though is make sure you always give Tylan with some food.... cause giving it on an empty stomach can make them feel yucky. SHould always be given with food.

If your dog doesn't like the taste of Tylan (some don't.. mine would eat for 2 days the first time i sprinkled it on her food... i think she thought i was trying to poison her!) ANYWAY... what you can do is pour the Tylan powder into an empty gel cap, then cover the capsule with a little dab of cream cheese and give the it to the dog after they eat some of their meal....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Apr 2020, 18:47

Hi there. Just wanted to check in and see how things are going. My boy throws up yellow bile from time to time in the morning - he used to do it all the time in the beginning of diagnosis so I gave an extra meal before bed now he does it so rarely that I don't have to give the bedtime meal anymore.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

mkazin

Post by mkazin » 28 Apr 2020, 03:07

Thank you for checking in! Feel so supported here. She threw up once more but then stopped... it worried us but since it’s sporadic and not too often (and we brought a stool sample in to make sure it’s nothing more serious), I’m feeling more calm about it. She’s eating, her poops are normal! (And we’re ramping up the pancreatin really slowly so still only at about half of the eventual dose) so im cautiously optimistic. Thanks for the idea about an extra meal-‘she does seem better when she hasn’t waited long between meals

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Apr 2020, 19:20

glad to hear the positive update!!! Thanks and looking forward to hearing more good reports !