Any Experience with Raw Diet?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ehellriegel
State: Georgia
Pet name: Fi
My name: Eleanor

Any Experience with Raw Diet?

Post by Ehellriegel » 22 Apr 2020, 12:01

Hello everyone!

Now that we have gotten Fi's poops/SID back under control, we are thinking about switching her to a raw diet. We had tried it once before her diagnosis with little success (probably because we tried a cold-turkey switch and started with chicken - both no-no's that we now understand don't work with her EPI), but we want to try again since I believe it is ultimately the best diet for her. I have done research for the past six months and feel entirely prepared, but my only question has to do with her enzyme dosing! Do I stick with the 1 teaspoon per cup of food? Her raw food will ultimately be more dense than kibble, so I was wondering if it would be based on weight rather than cups? My reasoning is that a cup of ground meat contains a lot more food than a cup of kibble because there isn't as much air space.

Does anyone have any experience feeding raw to an EPI dog?

(Side note: I know others have fed raw pancreas with success, but it would be much more expensive to get the amount she needs than sticking with the powdered enzymes. Plus we know the powdered ones work well for her. EnzymeDiane for the win!)

Thanks!
Eleanor and Fi

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Any Experience with Raw Diet?

Post by Olesia711 » 22 Apr 2020, 23:24

Hi Eleanor and Fi!

I suspect you will be very pleased feeding Fi raw food... and hopefully it goes well this time.

I fed all kinds of foods and combinations to my dog....but when i did do all raw briefly... (i only stopped because i had 3 dogs and it got a wee bet too expensive) i ground the raw into ground meat (i actually bought a heavy duty meat grinder to do this and feed my dogs!!!! ) the formula i used as my starting point was 1 level tsp of powdered enzymes per 1+1/2 cup of ground fresh meat (with sweet potato & organ meat & a little veggie) .... HOWEVER.... if i remember correctly, i was able to reduce the amount of enzymes to 3/4 tsp per 1+1/2 cup of ground fresh meat, etc.. So you can try starting out at 1 tsp of enzymes per 1+1/2 cup of fresh food... and just see how it goes... if a little loose after 2 to 3 days... then up the enzymes a little bit (by 1/8 tsp observe, if better but not optimal, then increase by another 1/8tsp)... if poop looks great you can leave it at 1 tsp per 1+1/2 cups of food or try reducing it like i did... just a wee bit.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Ehellriegel
State: Georgia
Pet name: Fi
My name: Eleanor

Post by Ehellriegel » 24 Apr 2020, 15:20

That's just what I needed, thank you so much!!

As for incubating, did you just mix the enzymes straight into the meal and let it sit as with kibble? Do I need to add any water or does the food have enough moisture to absorb the enzymes?

Thanks!!
Eleanor and Fi

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 24 Apr 2020, 20:22

I always added a few tablespoons of water... even though the combo with real meat had moisture in it.
But don't add too much water as sometimes that in itself turns a dog off from eating... just enough to make sure the powdered enzymes are moisten enough :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Apr 2020, 13:02

Let us know how it goes. I was going to suggest as Olesia did - start with 1 level teaspoon but you may end up being able to go with 3/4tsp.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.