Just got the diagnosis of EPI.

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Andrewp
State: Oklahoma
Pet name: Chloe
My name: Andrew

Re: Just got the diagnosis of EPI.

Post by Andrewp » 06 May 2020, 02:16

I just bought the a ports dog elite sled dog food with is Buffalo and sweet potato. I chose that one cause its 526 calories a cup with with save on enzymes. She was on metro for 10 days, her poop was getting better r now that she is off seems like its a little more runny. I haven't got the new food yet I'm hoping that will fix it. I should have the food this week. Should I wait to see if that makes her better since she's eating grain food. Or should I order tylan, whats the dosage on that in case I need to do that.
Thank you all for the replies.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 06 May 2020, 12:34

My suggestion is to buy some Slippery Elm powder (it's cheap and a jar lasts forever)
https://www.wonderlabs.com/newshowitems ... ippery+elm
and since the poos got better but are not optimal, and you just finished the course of Metro, before implementing Tylan, i'd try giving Slippery ELm powder (which is good to have on hand anyway with most EPI dogs) because Slippery Elm is a prebiotic, a mucilage and we suspect it prevents bad metabolites from breaking thru the gut lining, it also is loaded with SCFA that helps prevent SID. Sometimes if the SID is not raging, SLippery Elm is a nice all natural remedy that can get SID back in check in an EPI dog. The reason why i am suggesting this at this juncture is because if SLippery ELm works, you won't need the Tylan antibiotic. Dosing instructions for Slippery Elm are on this page:
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
Also ...If you want there is a 15% coupon for EPI members when buying stuff from WOnderlabs. Just type in "EPI4Dogs15"

However, if the SLippery Elm doesn't fix things enough (and you will be able to tell in 1 to 3 days... if it is going to work, it works VERY fast) then i would talk to your vet and definitely do a course of Tylan. The dose instructions for Tylan are on this page. It is according to weight. Twice a day. 45 days and then taper off over the next few weeks afterwards. Always give with food.
https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Since the poos are starting to go south already without anymore antibiotic... i suspect you will need something to get the SID back in a manageable state and then i suspect (this is what usually happens- -but not always, jsut giving a fair warning... sometimes we have to try a few things before we find the right balance of stuff) that the lower fiber food will then help keep the SID in check.

SO..... if you do decide to try SLippery ELm first before trying another antibiotic... i would give that as soon as you receive it, because it is very fast acting. If the new food come in first, then give that first and record your observations in a EPI journal as was recommended
https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/
... and then if need be (and it probably will be needed) add the SLippery Elm when it comes in.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 09 May 2020, 23:06

Do you guys give slippery elm at every feeding or just once a day. What dosage should I start with. Thank you

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 May 2020, 12:29

I never used it Kara didnt get on with it, I will leave it the others
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 12 May 2020, 21:44

Hi. Slippery Elm should only be given twice a day and the dosage depends on weight - here's a link to our dosage but also keep in mind sometimes you can use less - just always keep an eye on the poop
https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

I give my 100lb boy 1/2tsp twice a day - be sure to mix with a tablespoon or two of water and put directly on food before serving.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 24 Jun 2020, 15:35

Hello, I'd like to give an update on chloe. She was 42 pounds when diagnosed. We put her on enzymes at 1 tsp per cup. We were giving here a decent amount of food. She went up to 46.3 pounds last month. We went her weighed today she's still the same wieght. I feed her 3 cups of day with sports dog elite which is 526 calories a cup. She should be gaining some wieght.i also reduced the emzyme to 3/4 tsp to cup. My question is if you reduce enzyme what will that do just affect the poo. Or will that effect wieght gain as well. Just trying to add wieght on her and she's getting decent amount of calories to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrewp

Post by Andrewp » 24 Jun 2020, 15:36

sorry I forgot to add that she gets one cup in the morning with a b12 and multivitamin. Do you think k she would need b12 twice a day?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 25 Jun 2020, 04:30

it could be the calorie content, maybe she needs more , Kara had to have high calorie as she was so lively, personally, I wouldnt reduce the enzymes, the ratio to food is critical, and not forgiving, until, if ever they need less , as Kara got older the ratio increased bit by bit

but Kara didnt gain much weight for a long time, so dont get hung up, it was probably a year before she got over 66 pounds, we then changed enzymes, and we had lift off, she went up to 90 ish, and maintained that to when we lost her in 2019

the enzymes we used are here in UK , but Diane's enzymes are brilliant and widely used

its all about tweaking

keep your diary, and take care

Jeanxxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 25 Jun 2020, 10:25

I was just going to write something very similar to what Jean said. Some dogs are slow gainers. When Kolby was first diagnosed, he stopped losing weight, but he did not gain right away, maybe a pound or two. It took him a year to get near his target weight But it was a steady process, slow but steady. You are still early on in treatment, so give it some time. Keep your daily log up to date. It will be your guide.....along with the poos.

The hardest part of EPI treatment is developing patience. Hang in.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 26 Jun 2020, 22:55

As Jean and Barb said some are just slower to gain the weight back. As long as you are not losing weight and poops are good I would stick with what you are doing. Reducing the enzymes could affect the weight but you will see weight loss and loose poops because they are not digesting the food because of not getting enough enzymes. Typically we don't recommend reducing enzymes until the dog is stable - weight goal reached and good poops for a few months. So, you need to ask yourself if there's been a change in the poop since reducing the enzymes - if you think the poops have gotten a little loose then I would go back to the full dose of enzymes.

And patience is the hardest part of epi :). Trust me I'm the worst!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.