Newly adopted dog not gaining weight

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
EJ32

Newly adopted dog not gaining weight

Post by EJ32 » 05 May 2020, 16:09

Hi everyone
I just adopted a 7 year old dog, Banner. He has EPI that the foster tried to manage without proper enzymes. ( She meant well)
My new vet is onboard to learn, so that is good.
I have had him 3 weeks today! He has had 2 B12 injections, and Wonderlabs B12 is on the way. I started him on Creon, which worked well, but expensive. Tried Diane's enzymes today. He is taking a probiotic daily. He is one the Costco food Nature's Domain, salmon and sweet potato (%4 fiber). Small amount of salmon oil on top of food.
He is not eating well, or gaining weight. He is at 54 lbs, and best said he should be 80 lbs.
I would love suggestions.... If he doesn't eat, he cannot improve.
Thank you.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Newly adopted dog not gaining weight

Post by Madelon » 05 May 2020, 20:39

Hi and welcome to our EPI family. Thank you for adopting Banner and giving him a chance to live his best life. Do you by any chance have the test results with the TLI, B12 and Folate results? What dose of enzymes are you using/how are you preparing?

There are four cornerstones to properly managing EPI:

ENZYMES: Most of us use EnzymeDiane 6x as it's less expensive - the recommended dose is 1 level teaspoon (if using 6x) per cup of kibble, mix in luke warm water, then mix in kibble and sit 20-30 minutes before serving.

B12: B12 supplementing is for life with EPI dogs and they need their B12 on the high side of normal 600+. Low B12 will inhibit weight gain and effect mood, appetite, energy.

ANTIBIOTIC: If dealing with SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) we recommend giving the food, enzymes and B12 a few weeks to see if the gut corrects itself, If it doesn't then we recommend a 45 day course of Tylan and slowly wean off.

FOOD: We recommend grain free with 4% fiber or less and feed 150% of the food for the weight your dog should be but in smaller meals throughout the day.

To specifically address the non-eating you're dealing with:
- it could be mouth sores - have you checked to see if there are sores around the muzzle from the enzymes?
- if the B12 is still really low it will affect the appetite so I'm glad you have the WonderLabs coming
- how are the poops? if they are not solid and good you might need a course of Tylan - the SID can affect the appetite as their tummy is not feeling well
- try feeding on a flat plate so the muzzle is not being put down into a bowl
- try using a stinky topper like parmesan cheese

Keep a detailed log of everything you give and the resulting poops and don't worry we are here to help guide you along the way.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 05 May 2020, 22:34

Madelon gave you some really great suggestions and guidelines.... but.... i am wondering.... if you are feeding just kibble? If so, since e doesn't sound overly enthused about eating..... instead of just adding a liquid to the kibble to mix in the enzymes- - (or some people use non-salty broth for this) what you might want to try is adding is like parmesan cheese like Madelon suggested or some real meat, or cook some chicken liver (cheap) and crumble some of that into the food with some liquid. Some dogs also do well with cottage cheese mixed in.

The above is to hopefully entice him to eat.

HOWEVER.... after you get him to eat a little better,,, you might want to try adding 1/2 tsp of organic (cold-pressed or extra virgin) coconut oil.... this is a MCT fat and is usually very well tolerated by EPI dogs, and it is good for the skin, hair, itchies AND it is loaded with calories :) When trying though do watch the poos for about 3 days to make sure they don't go sloppy again ... if all is fine, then up the coconut oil to 1 tsp breakfast & dinner.

Oh... another thing to try is to feed smaller portions, but more meals throughout the day (if your schedule allows). AND with an EPI dog, we highly recommend feeding approx 150% of what a normal dog their size would require. We recommend this until they gain back most of their weight (a problem that you don't have yet) or are starting to back off their food cause their bodies are satiated.

And last but not least, please know that some EPI dogs put back weight fairly quickly while others can take up to a couple of years of more.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 07 May 2020, 03:44

A huge welcome from the UK

I too had a picky eater, what breed of dog do you have ? and thank you for adopting, how did the previous person treat the condition, was the diagnosis by blood test ?

do you notice any tummy rumbles, could be a sore belly

you could try feeding from your hand

Good luck
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 09 May 2020, 14:51

Hello and welcome to our EPI family. How lucky is Banner that he found you! Congratulations!

I totally sympathize with you trying to get Banner to eat. Our Kolby did not like the enzymes at all. The beginning was a struggle. We extended the amount of time incubating the food and we increased the water because he did get mouth sores at first. Not all dogs get them. Those two thingsreally helped and he eventually got used to the enzymes and the sores disappeared. We also fed him on a flat plat and even by hand at first until he got used to everything. Let us know if any of the suggestions work. Don't forget to keep a log/journal so you can tell what works and what doesn't.

Barb