Another Finn Update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Re: Another Finn Update

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 07 Aug 2018, 15:06

I don't have any experience with canines using Xarelto, but my husband took it for a little while and it made him tired. I'm glad to hear that Finn is wanting to play.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Aug 2018, 11:59

Hi Stacie, Hope your hubby is doing better now!!!!!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 14 Aug 2018, 11:56

We got positive news regarding Finn's heart ultrasound results today. Normal cardiac function, no DCM. :D Thankfully, we won't need additional heart medication for him. We've always been worried about his heart because of elevated Cardiopet results. The Cardiologist says higher proBNP levels may be related to some reduced compliance of the ventricle that may be secondary to systemic conditions or renal function and to look into glomerulonephritis. The Internist already has and his kidneys seem ok.

He had blood work taken today to see if the Xarelto is working. We'll know more in a week or two. The clot is in the left femoral artery.

His appetite has decreased a bit again so maybe hunger was a temporary side effect of the Xarelto or the Plavix. He whines at 5 am to wake us up and go for a walk. He's a morning dog, too bad his parents aren't morning people. He would like us to walk him longer on his walk too, so his energy levels are still good. We've increased his Tylosin back up to 4 pills a day because he's getting a bit of gas and poop just a little more soft. Maybe the pills are affecting his GI a bit. Hope that doesn't worsen.

I hope your husband is better Stacie.

And I forgot to ask about a study using Xarelto. That's a really good idea as a cost saver. We'll see once we know if it's working.
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 14 Aug 2018, 12:18

I haven't asked the Internist yet, but was wondering if Finn's BNP levels have gone up and down, which indicates the heart muscle is stretched and pumping harder, and his IDEXX kidney levels are sometimes elevated and then sometimes not, plus the history of rear leg lameness which also goes away would be signs that he's had clots in the past and they perhaps were reabsorbed by his body. Just a thought. We'll never know I suppose.
Adopted Finn 4 years ago. He's 7 maybe 8 years old? Reoccurring diarrhea, picky eater and loss of appetite from day 1. Low B12 causing hind-end weakness in July 2017. B12 injections didn't help his appetite, diarrhea or energy like we thought they should have. I found this wonderful forum and learned about EPI, which he doesn’t have, and SIBO/SID which he does have. On Tylosin and B12 pills with intrinsic factor long-term. Blood clot in his left femoral artery in July 2018, which Clopidogrel and Xareltro helped clear up, also long-term. Latest problems since fall 2018 are food sensitivities and (misdiagnosed) UTI causing incontinence.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Aug 2018, 13:31

Glad to hear the good report on Finn....no abnormal heart issues. You must feel very relieved. Fingers crossed that the Xarelto is doing its job. Let us know when you get the blood work done and the results. Hang in there. We are rooting for Finn.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 14 Aug 2018, 13:36

Glad to hear things are going much better. Keep us posted on how things are going - it takes a village with these pups
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 14 Aug 2018, 13:38

I have no advice ...... I am just following this post.. Rooting for you Finn !
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 14 Aug 2018, 23:25

That is FANTASTIC new that there is no DCM... WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And sure hope the Xarelto works it's magic..... of course if you could only get the Xarelto a wee bit cheaper, that would also be magical too!!!

Please continue to keep us posted.... and Madelon is correct, it takes a village with these pups... we are all here for you.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

worriedparents

Post by worriedparents » 27 Sep 2018, 16:32

Finn had his follow-up ultrasound today and his clot is gone. :D They said a bit further down from where the clot was there is an area where the wall is thickened but the blood is flowing through well. We'll know more when the Internist gets the report and we hear how she wants to proceed but we are happy to know the meds broke up the clot. Sounds like he may need to stay on the meds, maybe long term, but will see what she thinks about it all.

He's not as interested in his food the last couple days but still eating ok, and was having some gas so we'll have to let her know that but that could be reflective of just about anything with this stomach issue prone dog as anyone on this forum understands. His appetite has increased and decreased of this drug with his diet unchanged.

The other night he was being really silly and wanting to run and play. We've been keeping him pretty subdued and I think he's ready to get out and play more. I'll post after we hear from the vet. Each day we have with him is a blessing.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Sep 2018, 19:32

Thankyou for the update, so great to hear the clot is gone! Keep us updated.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.