maezi birthday & updzte

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
wandaMaeZi
Pet name: Maezi
My name: wanda

maezi birthday & updzte

Post by wandaMaeZi » 17 May 2020, 16:38

Hello all
tis been a long while since updated Maezi Journey
We recently celebrated her omg 10th birthday
she's been doing great active healthy happy & holding a very good weight-
we go for walks everyday and she loves goin fishing w me & her lil sister Tikka

We had both girls in for spring checkup & geriatric work up on maezi
our vet noreen been work w us right from start -9years now
her tests came back w high liver enzyme levels & with her drinking more & huge appetite & pee more -it was recomended test for Cushings
It came back positive & shw was put on trillostane for 2 weeks --restested levels still too high
so put on higher does for 3 weeks -she was retested on friday & her levels are still high -
vet is consulting resources to see how to proceed

any experience with this ?????

heres pic of us on her birthday-went to secluded lake fish & picnic in this crazy new covid world

my name is Wanda & my girl Maezi is a blue heeler from BC Canada
Our EPI story/journey is featured under "EPI4DOGS story"> EPI Reports> EPI Tails
DX at age one-- feed 1cup now fresh senior w 1 tsp enzyme diane 6x twice daily
She is the most loved & spoiled catteldog on the Planet 8-)

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: maezi birthday & updzte

Post by Olesia711 » 17 May 2020, 20:25

Hi Wanda,

Wishing lovely 10 year young Maezi a VERY Happy Birthday!

Ahh.... Cushings. Been there done that... hopefully my experience may help.

One of my dogs, Rico, had Cushings too. He passed away last year at 16 years old and had Cushings for 11 years! He did very well with the treatment AFTER they figured out the right dose for him.

He was on LYSODREN for years and years.... and then the last 2 years of his life I switched to generic Lysodren ( Mitodane).
The other good drugfor Cushings is Vetoryl.
My understanding is that these are the two best drugs for Cushings and that not all Cushing dogs respond as expected to Trillostane... so you might ask your vet their thoughts on trying LYSODREN or VETORYL.

You can also control the Cushings somewhat with diet, but IMHO, you really need the medication.

My dog started losing hair and my vet had me put him on Melatonin 3 mg twice a day (Rico was a 60lb dog) .... AND... I also gave him stinging nettles... between the Melatonin and the Stinging Nettles, they stopped the hair loss... which was pitiful cuz he was a Spanish Water Dog which has curly hair... so I couldn't even do a "comb over" when he lost his hair..................

One thing I avoided was high protein foods (like organ meats) and i stayed away from commerical kibble that had a high protein content... i kind of stayed with the "middle of the road" protein content foods..

Personally I would ask the vet to try Lysodren or Vetoryl and see if that works better.
HOWEVER... (warning) it is EXPENSIVE!!!! To save money, I went to a family owned pharmacy and ordered the WHOLE bottle of Lysodren, 3 years ago it was costing me $500 for a bottle, but he only took 1/2 pill 3 days a week, so it lasted quite a while.
If you order it for just 30 or 60 days dose it will cost you a lot more since the pharmacist has to break open the bottle. IN the end though, my thoughts on Lysodren is that it is well worth it.

Hope this helps!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 18 May 2020, 20:15

Hi and Happy Birthday to your girl! Thank you for the update although I'm sorry to hear she's now been diagnosed with Cushings. Olesia is the best to give advice on managing EPI and Cushings. I hope you're able to get her stabilized quickly. Please keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 19 May 2020, 15:46

Hi Wanda and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAEZI!
Kiya's vet uses Anipryl to treat Cushings and Canine Cognitive Dysfunction.
Good luck and stay well.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 19 May 2020, 16:48

Hi Wanda! It is so good to hear from you! I can't believe that Maezi is 10. You are a very good mum.

I am sorry to hear she has Cushings, but as I read Olesia's post, I realized once again how lucky we are to have all of her knowledge. It sounds like you have quite a few good questions when you take Maezi to the vet to figure out her protocol. It is quite a journey we embark on when these pups steal our hearts, isn't it?

Please let us know how she does.

Barb