Pancreatitis cleared now, I think she really has EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Pancreatitis cleared now, I think she really has EPI

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2018, 13:18

Paige's Guardian wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 09:14 guess what????

She ate the tylan in the cold pumpkin...no problem at all...... AND, she now has completely normal poop this morning. It happened that fast.

So, only slight downside is that I don't think the Tylan will last 45 days which means I have to contact the vet and not have a poor stool sample to submit since she is now pooping normal.

I am gonna put in for a Tylan order on allivet and email the vet. Hopefully, she will be ok with that and authorize the order.

Wish me luck!!
Hi Conny..... same thing kind of happened to us..... when my Izzy was 1st diagnosed, vet put her on Enzymes + Metronidazole....after a few days he called to check on us... and i said "No Improvement :( " this went on for 2 whole weeks!!! Then the vet took Izzy off Metronidazole and put her on Tylan.... OMG the very next day, perfect poops!

SOooooo YES... do try to get more and please explain to the vet that with an EPI dog you need to have a small supply of Tylan on hand cuz it is not "if" but "when" there will be a set-back and you don't want it to get out of control cuz then it is harder to get SID back under good management ......... and as we are now learning.... all EPI dogs have SID going on.... the trick is to keep it under good management............or at least this is what we need to do now until more research happens and maybe we will then learn how to eventually eradicate it.

Let us know how it goes!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Aug 2018, 14:06

Hi Conny,

Glad to hear the tylan is working well. It sounds like your vet will want to do what is best for Paige. Let us know how it goes.

Kolby would never take tylan without a capsule......so glad Paige is more flexible......

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Aug 2018, 14:05

Hi Conny - glad to hear the Tylan worked so quickly. Hoping the vet approved your rx
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 09 Aug 2018, 15:53

good news that your girl is doing well.................
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Post by Paige's Guardian » 12 Aug 2018, 20:23

Paige is doing really well and has a great appetite. She is still eating the Tylan in the cold pumpkin. I am so happy since she is such a picky dog. She is running around the dog park and digging craters in the back yard. Digging is one of the only things that really gets her super happy so, I never had the heart to stop her.

The weekend vet approved the Tylan prescription. We met that vet at Paige's f/u cPL test on a weekend which is easier for me to get her there. And, that vet is a TAMU grad so, I lucked out when I called to get the script approved, she was in the clinic. I think we will be seeing her in the future.

Thanks for the suggestion. Once again, such a great group here.
Conny
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Aug 2018, 23:33

I am so glad you got your Tylan prescription. It will come in handy.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 13 Aug 2018, 20:15

Sounds like a great vet - so glad you got the Tylan approved!! I wouldn't have the heart to stop the digging either - the joy they give us seeing them do what they love is sooooo worth it sometimes
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Kodis Mom
Staff
State: Washington

Post by Kodis Mom » 14 Aug 2018, 13:42

Congrats on your vet !!! I will have to try the pumpkin idea for Tylan. Continued sucess!
Kodi
B. 8/19/2010 Diagnosed at 11 months.
Kodi is now on Natures Logic turkey and/or pork kibble, 2 cups with 2 teaspoons of enzymes, 1/8 teaspoon of ground coriander, 1/16 teaspoon of cinnamon and ground fennel seed (for tummy upsets) twice a day, plus one one B12 capsule from Wonderlabs. She has been very stable and on occasion needs a dose ofTylan.
She is our second GSD with EPI. It was not so scary this time ! And thank goodness for epi4dogs.com ! 💝 Kodi passed on August 25, 2023 just after her 13th birthday.💝 Forever grateful to Olesia and epi4dogs. She live a long and adventurous life with EPI.