Any information on Reglan/Metoclopramide

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
TroyGM
State: Texas
Pet name: Troy
My name: Jeanette

Any information on Reglan/Metoclopramide

Post by TroyGM » 06 Jun 2020, 22:29

So about 2 weeks ago, when Troy was throwing up which seem like every day or so, so the vet prescribed CERENIA and Reglan. The Cerenia was only 4 tablets but the Reglan was a full prescription; We stopped both of them after the 1st day because he become very lethargic. (He was taking about 3 other medication as the time) His vomiting stopped soon after so we didn't think about giving them to him again. Well I notice the last 2 days, he is burping alot and even vomitted a bit (it was very little). At least that is what I thought, until he did it again earlier today after burping. After that, he made me think it is reflux. Do you think The Reglan would help with that?

The first thing on my to do list Monday morning is to call the vet, but I was thinking to give him half a tablet (full tablet is 10mg) in a pill pocket to see if it would help get him through the remainder of the weekend. Anyone have any thoughts on that??

thanks!

Jeanette

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Any information on Reglan/Metoclopramide

Post by Jean » 07 Jun 2020, 12:51

Hi there from the UK

Reglan

never used this drug, but lethargy is one of the side effects, sounds a bit scary to me

Ok the vomitting, is it white froth, or brown liquid, or full on food vomiting

This sounds like what my Kara had and it was diagnosed as reflux

Can you tell me how often how often after food this is, it and what times if the day, if its first thing in the morning , then it might be an empty stomach bile

What about as a rumbling tummy ?

Jean
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 07 Jun 2020, 14:11

Metoclopramide (brand names Reglan® and Maxolon®) is used in dogs, cats, and small mammals to stimulate stomach and upper small intestinal movement to prevent esophageal reflux, a condition where stomach acid backs up into the esophagus (the muscular tube connecting the throat and stomach) and throat.

Kiya was just on Cerenia for 3 days and it also made her lethargic. It is one of the side effects.

If it was me since both can cause lethargy I would just do one or the other. Since the above statement says Meto is for acid reducing you could try that. And yes call vet in a.m.

Cerenia info:
https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/cerenia.aspx

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

TroyGM

Post by TroyGM » 07 Jun 2020, 20:40

Thank you!!

It was just a little light/clear when he would spit up. And I say spit up because it didn't seem like a full blown vomit. And both times it happened at night.

I gave him half a tablet of the Reglan and today he is definitely not him self. Hasn't eaten and it just slowly walking around. I just don't know if that is due to stomach issues or sadness. He is really close with my daughter and she is "his person". She went to go spend the night with her cousins last night and he has been waiting by the door ever since she left. But I can hear his stomach making noises. So again, i don't know if he is having stomach issues again or he is just missing my daughter.

Hopefully we can get him to eat when she gets home as I hate for him to have a set back. He was doing so good last week, and now this week, he hasn't eaten much and seems to be losing more weight.

Prayers we find the right combination for him as it breaks my heart to seem him like this.

Jeanette

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 08 Jun 2020, 07:27

i asked the question because Kara used to bring up white froth, and that was reflux, we gave her ranitidine 30 mins before food, it worked for us but run it past the vets

its sad when they have separation issues, one of my Shepherds did with me, but I made Derek take him out alone so he would lose the elastic !

I would try to feed from your hand, it might get him to be closer to you
does he sleep with your daughter ?

the noises from his tummy is likely to be Small intestinal Dysbiosis and that in simple terms, is an upset gut due to bugs

we recommend a 42 day course of Tylan which is weight dosed

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

the recommended is twice daily with maybe 12 hours between, usually with food

let us know what you think

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

TroyGM

Post by TroyGM » 08 Jun 2020, 11:23

So we just got back from the vet, and they gave him an injection of Cerenia and some fluids. And sent us home with Amoxicillin and Metronidazole.
He threw up a number of times throughout the night and is so weak right now. He can barely walk and when he does try to move around, he walks into things. We are trying to get him to lay down and rest, but he keeps trying to get up.
My heart aches for him. I don't know what to do either. Every time he gets up, he falls back down and I know that has to hurt since he is just bones.
Much prayers for him would be greatly appreciated.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 08 Jun 2020, 11:47

Did they say why the two lots of antibiotics, and do they know he is falling over

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

TroyGM

Post by TroyGM » 08 Jun 2020, 12:24

Well when this happened about 2 weeks ago, they prescribed both antibiotics. He bounced back and was getting better. he had gained a few pounds, was eating great and was very active. We finished with the antibiotics on Wednesday and on Thursday is when he started going downhill again. Stopped eating by Saturday evening. So that is why they put him back on those 2 antibiotics for his intestine. Couldn't find any other reason for him to relapse like this.

Yes, they took him inside the clinic and saw how he was acting. So they know about his behavior. And when we got back home, I called them again to ask how long should this behavior last. With the antibiotics, hopefully he will want to eat soon and will get his strength back. I guess all we can do now is pray. And hopefully we can get him to just lay down and sleep a bit since he was up all night.

The only other change we had happen this past week was changing from the enzymes the vet gave us to ones from Diane Enzyme.

We are doing the b12 shots and using the enymes. What more should we be doing?

You all have been great with all the information. THANK YOU.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 08 Jun 2020, 14:45

I am so sorry you and Troy are going through this. Is it possible that he is having a reaction to the metronidazole? I know he has had it before, but it might be worth asking the vet if that is a possibility.

Barb

TroyGM

Post by TroyGM » 08 Jun 2020, 15:17

So we just got back from another trip to the Vet as he just had a seizure. That was the scariest thing I have ever encountered. They are not sure why it happened but they are keeping him for a few hours for observation.
My heart just aches....