Any information on Reglan/Metoclopramide

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Any information on Reglan/Metoclopramide

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Jun 2020, 15:49

Yes, as Barb says the Metro can cause neurological issues in some animals.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 08 Jun 2020, 19:23

Just read your posts, and i too would like to suggest to stop the Metronidazole.... and please ask the vet if they can prescribe Tylan instead.
The seizures can actually be caused by Metronidazole... and it can happen to any dog that was perfectly fine on Metro before.

Or... the seizures can be from something else.

But because of the lack of being able to walk and the seizures are both a toxicity reaction to Metro..(if this is a toxicity reaction issue) we just cannot confirm that this is the cause of the seizures, but best if stopped immediately... just in case it is the culprit..

The good news though, is that if this is being caused from the Metronidazole, as soon as you stop giving the metro, things should improve. If severe enough of a reaction, the vet can give some valium and that should take care of fixing the toxicity issue
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TroyGM
State: Texas
Pet name: Troy
My name: Jeanette

Post by TroyGM » 08 Jun 2020, 21:13

OK. I will definitely not give the Metronidazole tomorrow. The vet did give him a shot of Valium so he is pretty out of it.

Unfortunately, he just had another seizure (they happened about 6 hours apart). Luckily, the vet gave us a shot of Valium to take home in case it happened again. So we gave him that and he settled down. I just hate to see him so drugged up. The emergency hospital is about 15 minutes away so I pray it doesn't happen again.

Thank you for the advice on the Metronidazole.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 09 Jun 2020, 04:18

God love him

you said they sent him home with fluids, what were they ?

I am not a fan of Metronadazole, it has side effects which are sometimes severe

http://www.vetcontact.com/en/art.php?a=572

I personally am intollerant of it and have been admitted to hospital, lovely !

says it all when the vet possibly saw the seizure coming, and gave you Valium which is the answer to reaction to this drug

please let us know

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2020, 09:20

Ahh... so they gave Valium.. VERY telling....... personally i would stop the metro and ask for something else.

And please keep us posted. on the off-chance that these seizures are not metronidazole related, we do have a section here on idiopathic seizures where they are finding that an appropriate diet may help reduce the level of seizure activity.... https://epi4dogs.com/seizures/... might want to read. even if it doesn't help it won't hurt......
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

TroyGM
State: Texas
Pet name: Troy
My name: Jeanette

Post by TroyGM » 09 Jun 2020, 15:18

It breaks my heart to write this, but we had to Euthanasia Troy this morning. He ended up having 3 more seizures throughout the night.
We had him admitted into the hospital overnight. The doctor called us early this morning stating the medication wasn't working and she believed he had a stroke. We believe He just wasn't able to absorbed the medication and got worse as the night went on. The Dr couldn't see his quality of life getting better as we tried everything we could.
He was only with us a few weeks and made a great impact on our lives. He is now out of pain and we will always be so grateful for the time we had with him.
Thank you all so much for all the support you gave. This community is a blessing and I wish you all the best.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 09 Jun 2020, 15:26

I am so sorry to read this. You did the best you could for Troy.
God speed little Troy💔

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Jun 2020, 21:05

I am so sorry - I know you must be heartbroken right now.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 09 Jun 2020, 23:18

Oh Jeanette,

I am so sorry to be reading this. Your heart must be broken. You did everything you possibly could to help Troy. Having three more seizures had to be very hard on Troy's body.... sometimes we just don't know why something happens... but you gave him the biggest gift of love .... peace.

Sending you many comforting thoughts...............

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Post by Jean » 10 Jun 2020, 04:42

i have no words Jeanette, just love and hugs across the miles

Love

Jeanx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx