Calcium/Phosphorus content for puppy

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
furmama

Calcium/Phosphorus content for puppy

Post by furmama » 06 Aug 2018, 13:09

Hello everyone,

I recently adopted a 12 month old GSD puppy who was diagnosed with EPI at 10 months. I just read Dog Food advisor's page on best food for large breed puppies and I am trying to reconcile that information with keeping fiber content to a minimum. Should I be focusing more on the EPI fiber parameters vs. the parameters from the large breed puppy page? I of course want to get his EPI more stabilized, but I also want to make sure he gets everything he needs as a growing puppy. I became very confused when I looked into Orijen Large Breed Puppy--calcium/phosphorus levels were ok per article, but fiber content is 6%.

Link to page mentioned: https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog ... uppy-food/

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Calcium/Phosphorus content for puppy

Post by Olesia711 » 06 Aug 2018, 15:42

In most EPI cases (although not 100%) when you feed a food that is higher than 4% fiber content- -and sometimes even less fiber content is required before you see optimal improvement in an EPI dog or pup.

Many of our EPI dogs simply do not do well until they try low fiber content food....personally my EPI dog cannot handle Orijen food, although it is an excellent food, just not well suited for some of our EPI dogs..... and yet there are others that do okay on it.

Also... many of our EPI pups do horribly on foods even if low fiber content but is loaded with peas... in various forms... but listed 3 times in the ingredients... AVOID!.... we noticed this years ago when dog food companies lessened the sweet potatoes and went with doubling/tripling up on peas... and OMG... our pups started having issues............

SO... bottom line.... give 1st preference to the EPI condition...and if need be just supplement with a quality puppy vitamin.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

furmama

Post by furmama » 07 Aug 2018, 12:24

Thank you so much for the invaluable insight regarding fiber, peas, puppy vitamins, etc. After much searching, I found a food that may work: Victor Active Dog & Puppy Formula. Hopefully it will arrive soon and work for my EPI pup.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2018, 13:13

Glad you found a food that might work.....what we tout is to start with a low fiber food and then, if you want, once your pup is stable (delivering darn good poos for about a month)... then if you want to "try" other foods... go for it.... but do keep an EPI Log (check out the EPI samples here
https://epi4dogs.com/epi-log/
... we have a manual one OR one that you can just do online, Google sheets, created by our mbr Bill (owned by EPI pup Ace)

Also..... it might be a good idea to give extra vitamins any way with an EPI pup.... but do check with your vet on this for what they think would be a good recommendation :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

furmama

Post by furmama » 07 Aug 2018, 13:19

Also, yesterday, my pup had the best poop I had ever seen from him, and this morning (around 5:30am :cry: ), the worst (watery mess). What do I do when there's a flare up? Do I fast him or feed him bland food initially? I will order slippery elm today, and unfortunately I don't have any Tylan as his first vet appointment since adopting him will be on Monday. He is currently on 1 tsp enzymes per cup of dry food (Orijen red regional) and canned plus pre/probiotics and coconut oil. In terms of his dinner, we happened to add in a fish pill, which was different, and perhaps that meal was too close in timing to the last one. And I'm sure it didn't help that two small dogs were loose last night and scared him :roll:
Last edited by furmama on 07 Aug 2018, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 07 Aug 2018, 13:22

then definitely check out what Bill put together on google for us.... once you set it up, it is super easy!
If you need help.... just PM Bill (Ace's dad)

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 07 Aug 2018, 14:35

When Kolby was first diagnosed, it took us 5 to 6 foods before we found one that worked for him, so try not to get discouraged. It really is true that what works for one dog (or many dogs) may not work for yours. We found this out firsthand. So hang in there as you search and keep that valuable log.

Barb

Stacie & Dizzy
Staff
State: Arkansas

Post by Stacie & Dizzy » 07 Aug 2018, 14:45

My girl, Dizzy, can't handle 4% fiber. I have to go with food that is 3% fiber. I use Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream. It sounds like you've found a good dog food already. Keeping a log helped me so much in the beginning.
My name is Stacie and my girl's name is Dizzy. German Shepherd, Age 10-diagnosed 12/24/2011 at 55 pounds, current weight is 93 pounds.
Feeding Taste of the Wild 4 cups a day with Enzyme Diane 1tsp per cup. Wonderlabs b12 once daily.
Dizzy has Pannus, given Cyclosporine drops in each eye twice daily. Pepcid once daily. Apoquel for allergies once daily.

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 08 Aug 2018, 05:46

Hello looking at your last post you did say that "we happened to add in a fish pill" ...what we suggest at the start is that you keep things simple.

So Enzymes,Food !!! B12 and tylan ...it was several months before i added anthing else to Maddie food .
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 08 Aug 2018, 09:23

I am agreeing with Ann. Start with basics, keep a diary. Then when you start to add in coconut oil, fish oil, pre/probiotic, etc.. you do it one by one with a week between additions so you can tell yay or nay!
Keep up the good work.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.