Confirmed EPI

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Angboys3
State: Texas

Re: Confirmed EPI

Post by Angboys3 » 07 Aug 2018, 19:38

We got Bella’s test results on her vitamins. I think I saw that their B12 should be at least 600 with EPI. Not sure about the Folate.

B12 result 427 (284-836)
Folate 16.2. (4.8-19.0)

Miss Maddie Moo
Staff

Post by Miss Maddie Moo » 08 Aug 2018, 05:50

Hello yes you are correct the b12 needs to be above 600 for life this is often overlooked by the vets here is the link to wonderlabs if you havent got it already,https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688.
The folate can indicate SID if elevated but the best way is to let the enzymes do there work for 5-7 days and keep an eye on the poop.
Maddie DX April 2011 along with low B12 she was feed with a low fibre food below 3% , fat was not restricted ( she wasnt good on pea based foods ) She initially had a course of B12 shots weekly over a period of 6 months and then we used the B12 pills from Chemeyes in the UK . We used Panzym and slowly had to increase the dose as she aged when she was first DX she was 23kg but she gained weight quickly and got back to 33 kg .
Maddie gained her angel wings in Jan 2018 at the age of 10 to a condition unrelated to EPI.
[/color]

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 09 Aug 2018, 13:58

Yes you will need to supplement the B12 for life as Ann stated. When Doc was dx his B12 was 406 and the vet at the time said it didn't need to be supplemented because it was within normal limits. After reading the research and member posts here on the site I decided to order the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 because I knew B12 would be critical to managing EPI. I did let my vet know what I was doing and because there were no issues with his kidneys or anything he said it was fine. Please share with your vet the information regarding B12 from this site so that he/she will understand how important B12 is to managing EPI.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.