CREON 10000BPU

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
AnnieWood
Pet name: Holly
My name: Annie

CREON 10000BPU

Post by AnnieWood » 02 Jul 2020, 08:08

Hi everyone

Hope you had a good day/night with your beautiful furkids.

I just want to know if anyone has had experience with CREON 10000BPU. How did you give it to your dog? did you give it before or with the meal and how much? I know it depends on the dog but it would be nice to hear some success stories.

Also food ideas would be great as well. Not having much luck with anything right now. Use the Creon 10 minutes before her meal and feed her 3 times. Holistic select salmon biscuits and goat mince. It was a disaster. Also tried the boar and pumpkin prime100 loaf also a disaster. Do I stick to the same thing or is it ok if I change? Just when she gets the water poop and vomits I panic and change to a new thing. Maybe I am changing to quickly.

Would love some feedback. So glad I found this group. You are all amazing :D
Dog mum to English Staffy Winston 3 (born with hereditary cataracts) and Maltese Shih Tzu Daisy 2 (so far healthy but a slight underbite) looks super cute :D

Our beautiful boy staffy x jack russell Arnie 2006-2017. Believe he had EPI and we watched him waste away. Tried everything to save him. English x American Staffy Holly 2008 -2020.

Will spread the word about EPI and SIBO and help another dogs live a long healthy life.

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: CREON 10000BPU

Post by Jean » 02 Jul 2020, 08:39

well I have never used Creon , but I have reached out to those who may have, I put a link on your previous post

as to food

we recommend grain and rice free

we used grain free lamb and veg kibble for about 6 years for Kara

ok she is vomitting, is it food or froth, and when ?

can I ask you to keep to one thread its easier for us to follow

my thoughts here are to keep to a simple diet Kara loved scrambled egg and mashed potato, she couldnt tollerate fish

its adviseable to only change one thing at a time

I really feel for you Kara was a nightmare
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

AnnieWood

Post by AnnieWood » 02 Jul 2020, 09:06

Hi Jean

Sorry about creating new thread. I guess I thought if it was a new topic I need to create it. Will stick to the same one now.

It is not froth... it’s like a couple biscuits with brown liquid. But an hour before that she threw up all her dinner.. biscuits (I crush them up so not whole) goats meat, duck foot all with brown liquid and froth. Now she has bad gas as well.

Thank you for the link. I read it and it was pretty much trial and error. How nice would it be if it was as simple as giving her a tablet and she is got better right away. One can only dream.

Thanks for your advice about food. I did stick to chicken and pumpkin for about 4 days and that didn’t go very well. She loss a kg in that time. Poor thing is skin and bones.
Dog mum to English Staffy Winston 3 (born with hereditary cataracts) and Maltese Shih Tzu Daisy 2 (so far healthy but a slight underbite) looks super cute :D

Our beautiful boy staffy x jack russell Arnie 2006-2017. Believe he had EPI and we watched him waste away. Tried everything to save him. English x American Staffy Holly 2008 -2020.

Will spread the word about EPI and SIBO and help another dogs live a long healthy life.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Jul 2020, 09:28

Hi Annie,

AHHhhhh......You mentioned in your post above that she is vomiting brown liquid with white foam... sounds like the problem is that she has SID, not that the CREON is not working and this is why any food you are trying doesn't agree with her.

Normally i would suggest you contacting your vet and ask for a course of Tylosin Tartrate (Tylan) antibiotic..... however they discontinued Tylan in AUS. So the other drugs that are available are Metronidazole (which may or may not work) Amoxicillan (which may or may not work well) but Oxytetracycline (or a version of Oxy) does appear to work very well. BUT.... what you can try first is a prebiotic.... or a prebiotic with a probiotic....sometimes this is enough to correct SID to a manageable state.... which is our goal with EPI dogs, as ALL dogs with EPI have SID to one degree or another and our objective is to keep it in good control.

THe other thing that "may" be going on, however, from what you are describing, i suspect the above is the problem... anyway.... when you had the B12 test done, was the Folate score below 7??? If so, then what may be an issue is a food sensitivity.... which we can help you with, if this turn out not to be SID... but... it sure sounds like it.

Please share this recommendation with your vet and keep us posted.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

AnnieWood

Post by AnnieWood » 02 Jul 2020, 19:44

Thank you Olesia for you advice.

She is already taking Metronidazole..started this a few days ago. I did google the Tylosin and it does look like I can get it in Australia by vet prescription.

I am going to get a good probiotic for her today. I bought one from the vet store and I think it isn’t the best quality.

Also might try the slipping elm.

I have a awesome health food store that helped us with our last dog. We gave him Organic Coconut Doggie Crunch and if firmed up his poop amazingly. Unfortunately they don’t sell it anymore and I can’t found anything close to it. Coconut oil doesn’t seem to work maybe too much fat.

I have exhausted all meats options as well Vension, horse, goat, boar, crocodile, duck, rabbit, turkey, lamb, chicken. Some of these have worked for a while but then she is sick again. One of the vets we did see didn’t think it was a food allergy as all foods for food allergies still made her sick.

That is why I am hoping maybe the creon might help be the difference in saving her life and keeping food down.

At the moment she is doing the lip smacking thing. So I think she might vomit soon.

Thanks again for you advice.

AnnieWood

Post by AnnieWood » 02 Jul 2020, 21:16

Sorry just another question.

Why is the poop yellow? She had some substance to her poop this morning. Was light brown but then a squirt of yellow liquid poop.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Jul 2020, 22:02

I think once you get the correct pattern for Creon and the SID/SIBO under control the poop should get better. What food are you feeding,?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 02 Jul 2020, 22:02

The yellow is often a sign of small intestinal dysbiosis.

AnnieWood

Post by AnnieWood » 03 Jul 2020, 00:21

Hi Jill

I am feeding Holly Holistic Select Grain Free Salmon Anchovy Sardine biscuits and add cooked goat mince or boar and pumpkin grain free roll. She decided she didn’t want to eat the biscuits anymore so been adding other food to encourage her to eat.

She has been throwing up the biscuits so today at lunch I gave her a creon pill then ivory coat lamb and sardines grain free wet food with a tablespoon of pumpkin/sweet potato and tablespoon of shedded raw carrot and teaspoon of apple cider.

So far so good. She only poops about twice a day. But it’s mostly either liquid or cow looking poop yellow in colour.

Funny how someone on here mentioned about victory dancing when seeing a good poop. I also do the same :lol:

AnnieWood

Post by AnnieWood » 03 Jul 2020, 00:23

Thanks Shirl for this information :D