New to site

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Humphries1
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Mitch
My name: Tina

New to site

Post by Humphries1 » 13 Jul 2020, 10:03

Hello there,
Hopefully we can find some help here.
I have a 3yo German Shepard he is a big boy and loves to be loved on.
Mitch weighed 96lbs and has lost down to 85
The vet knows nothing about EPI and I have been trying to teach myself all I can.
His ribs are showing. We ordered the medicine on July 3 and have not received it yet from the vet. So I ordered a plant based Prozyme from chewy on Friday it arrived Sunday
We have had one full day on it. Hopefully get meds from vet today or tomorrow.
A 4oz jar of powder is $96 from the vet. We are not going to be able to afford this. I need help with med options. I am going to make some calls and try and find a vet more familiar with this condition.
He is our baby and any advice will be appreciated.
Thank you
Attachments
473364CD-E52D-46EA-BDCD-2BEA8A4A51EA.jpeg
473364CD-E52D-46EA-BDCD-2BEA8A4A51EA.jpeg (739.39 KiB) Viewed 2734 times

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: New to site

Post by Jean » 13 Jul 2020, 12:19

Good afternoon from UK and welcome

You might well need another vet, but will yours learn with you, you are welcome to print anything off this site, and share it

so he has lost a fair bit of weight, how long over ?

we recommend grain and rice free food, with no chicken or poultry fat, they dont seem able to tolerate it at all, and feed 50 % over and above what the instructions on the bag for the weight he SHOULD be, so , say 96 pounds ish, unless at one point he was over this and a healthy weight, and then trim it back

As for enzymes, have a look at Enzymne Diane

https://enzymediane.com/

She is well used by folk your side of the pond, and does discounted enzymes and very helpful by phone

Has the vet mentioned b12 supplementation, its essential to digestion in an EPI dog

https://www.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_ ... py_for_epi

Again, the recommendation is 6 weekly shots of generic b12 which is dark pink in colour, you can supplement this with

https://www.wonderlabs.com/itemleft.php?itemnum=K9688

If there is any tummy rumbling it will be SID Small Intestinal Dysbiosis, and we all use Tylan , which is weight dosed, SID is almost always present at diagnosis, and needs to be dealt with

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

Have you had cow pat stools ?

Its hard, My Kara at her worst was projectile pooing , no control at all, she stabalised for 9 years until we lost her last May

lastly keep a journal, record everything

By the way I love that cabinet behind Mitch

Please ask anything
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 13 Jul 2020, 22:57

Welcome. Mitch is gorgeous.
Just FYI the Prozyme is plant based and not strong enough for your pup with EPI.
I second enzymediane.com. very good price and you can get a sample bag for a nominal charge to try them.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 14 Jul 2020, 08:08

Hi Tina

I have sent you a message to say you have replies to your post

Jean

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 14 Jul 2020, 09:53

Hello! I hope this forum helps you as much as it has helped me. Definitely check out Enzyme Diane. Definitely keep a diary. Your pup is beautiful!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Jean
Forum Director

Post by Jean » 14 Jul 2020, 10:09

Thanks V

You and Montgomery are stalwarts to us

Lowest weight 39 pounds

Jeanx

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Jul 2020, 14:01

A very warm welcome to you and Mitch. What a handsome boy!

We understand how you are feeling. We have all been there. Once you get the food, enzymes, B12, and antibiotics ((if needed) in balance, everything will begin to improve. As others said, the plant based enzymes are not strong enough. Our Kolby thrived on Enzyme Diane's enzymes for 10 of his 11 years. He was diagnosed at 1 year. Diane is great to work with and has an excellent product. ....and will save you lots of money. She publishes her phone number and is easy to email or call.

I second and third the use of a log/journal. Record everything you give Mitch and the amounts, then the resulting poos. The information will help you to see what is working and what needs to be adjusted. It saved our sanity.

Try not to feel overwhelmed, but you probably will at the beginning. This is the hardest part, until you get things balanced.

Ask any questions you have.

Barb