Won't Eat

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Jbergman10
State: North Dakota
Pet name: Zeppelin
My name: Jess

Re: Won't Eat

Post by Jbergman10 » 04 Aug 2020, 09:42

Hi all!
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice. Last week, I made the switch to grain free food and tried giving his enzyme capsules in the pill pockets, liverwurst, and cream cheese. Shockingly, he did not like the cream cheese! We finally seem to be getting somewhere and for two days last week, he had formed stools and seemed to be eating more!! I honestly cried tears of joy when I saw those solid looking poops. So happy.

However, by the end of the weekend, he was back to liquid poops, multiple episodes of vomiting, and barely touching is food............ The only change I can think of is that he finished his course of antibiotics last Thursday. Otherwise, no changes were made :( Your words give me hope, but it has been so up and down that it is so hard to figure out what we should be doing. Our vet doesn't seem to have much experience with EPI and hasn't been the most helpful.... Though I've shared recommendations from here and she is always agreeable to them. Would you guys recommend finding a different vet?

The vomiting seems more severe over the last few days. Any advice on how to best control that? Is that a symptom of EPI or of something else going on....?

I am going to ask our vet for a tylan prescription. I did buy Slippery Elm Powder awhile ago, but with Zeppelin being so picky with eating, I wonder how much he is actually getting of it. I am nervous since tylan powder is so bitter tasting, that he will refuse to eat that as well....

I've looked around on the site, but to be honest, all the information gets overwhelming! The direct links given in previous replies have been so helpful... Thank you all so much!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 04 Aug 2020, 10:26

when is your dog vomiting?
What is he bringing up?
Maybe run it by your vet to try regular Pepcid for the acid reflux if the slippery elm doesn't work.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 04 Aug 2020, 15:25

Jill gave you a good suggestion about Pepcid to help with acid reflux, as that could be causing some of the vomiting. It could also be from SID (small intestinal dysbiosis) because that can cause an upset stomach. It does sound like SID is back, though, since it was a big change soon after stopping the antibiotics. It's pretty common for these symptoms to come back when a dog stops the antibiotics, especially when they only have a short course of metronidazole. Tylan tends to work better for our dogs, and it's safe long term. I'm glad you are going to ask your vet for a prescription for tylan. The recommendation is to give it twice daily for 30-45 days, then wean off it slowly to prevent regression. Here is a link to our page with dosing information. Feel free to share it with your vet. It also has veterinary articles your vet might be interested in. https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

If Zepp won't eat the tylan (some do, some don't; my Pixie sometimes will and sometimes won't-go figure), you can put the tylan in capsules and give it that way. If you scroll down on that page on antibiotics, you will see some information on that.

Please don't get too discouraged! It's hard to see them go backwards when you've had some success, but hold on to the fact that you did have some success. That means it's possible, and you will get there again.

Also, if your vet is agreeable to suggestions and seems to be willing to learn more about EPI, I would not change vets. There are not a lot of vets out there who know a great deal about EPI just because it's not one of the more common things they see frequently. Some vets are better at recognizing it than others, but even those vets have not lived with an EPI dog so they don't know all the ins and outs of management. Pixie's vet actually has people call me now and then when they are having difficulty with their EPI dogs because he recognizes that fact. In my opinion, the best vet is the one who is willing to listen and learn, so it sounds to me like you have a great vet already.

sarahchabot
State: Tennessee
Pet name: JT
My name: Sarah

Post by sarahchabot » 08 Aug 2020, 19:54

Hi all!

I am following this post and reading everyone's suggestions. THANK YOU! I have a 3 year old redbone hound dog that was diagnosed on Thursday, August 6th. We are having a hard time getting him to eat as well and we are so worried about him surviving. We were already at the a very desperate point and the vet did surgery thinking there must be an obstruction or twist or something in the digestive system. Once she got in there, she saw the small pancreas and then ordered the test. So he is battling a tough road with the advanced symptoms of EPI and recovering from surgery. We have tried parmesan cheese, BBQ, Sauce and no putting it down his throat with a syringe (water and food). We gave him a B12 shot yesterday.

He is currently at 53 pounds and just looking for hope that we can turn this around.

Thanks everyone! I maybe back with questions!

Sarah

Jbergman10
State: North Dakota
Pet name: Zeppelin
My name: Jess

Post by Jbergman10 » 10 Aug 2020, 22:27

Welcome Sarah!

Zeppelin was diagnosed in June- so this is all very new to me too. This community has been AMAZING in helping navigate our way through and the website is full of great information! It has been a journey of ups and downs- but like multiple people have mentioned- keep the faith and hang in there!

An update on Zeppelin: His vomiting only lasted a few days, so I did not start pepcid. I will keep it in mind if the problem returns! The tylosin has been a GAME CHANGER. Since starting a few days ago, Zeppelin's appetite is BACK- he eats everything we give him and even licks the bowl clean! His energy is up and his poops are near normal. I cannot express how happy and thankful I am to see these changes!! I feel like we are finally on the up swing!!!

A few new questions:

Is refeeding syndrome ever a concern with EPI dogs? Zeppelin was 82 lbs in February and last week he was down to 53 lbs. His muscles have definitely atrophied and his bones are visible under his skin. We have been trying to do smaller, more frequent meals but since he is going from eating near nothing to eating everything we put in front of him, I don't want to cause refeeding syndrome..... Any thoughts?

Also just a curiosity question: Why is chicken not recommended for EPI dogs?

THANKS EVERYONE from the bottom of my heart!!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Aug 2020, 00:05

Hi. Each dog is different as to what makes it itch, vomit, have runny poops, etc. If your dog has been eating chicken with no problems it should be fine. Chicken is a great source of protein for dogs, Epi or not.

If your pup is still not on track after adding enzymes, antibiotic and B12 you might look at switching your protein source away from chicken.

Glad you did not need Pepcid.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 11 Aug 2020, 19:07

Hi there---seems maybe the tylosin soothed his tummy & made his nausea go away. Is that possible? As I have said before, Tucker can't make it without a little tylan, so I think he's probably on it for life. Glad you've seen improvement!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 11 Aug 2020, 20:01

Glad to hear that Zeppelin is responding to the tylan. Maybe he was so uncomfortable with the SID that he just couldn't eat. That is really good to hear that his appetite is coming back. Maybe everything is finally starting to balance. I remember it taking a while for the B12 to start having an effect and that really helped Kolby's appetite.

The beginning stage is so hard. I looked at my original notebook ...when Kolby was first diagnosed and I could feel the stress coming from those early entries when we could not find a food that agreed with him and that didn't cause diarrhea. And then the relief when he finally had a good poop!

So great work! You are doing an excellent job. He is lucky to have you.

Barb