Ace Update

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Bpcooper14
State: Virginia

Re: Ace Update

Post by Bpcooper14 » 27 Aug 2018, 20:34

So just a quick Ace update. We've been on his insulin twice a day for the past couple/few weeks and things have been going fairly well from what I can see on the surface. Our routine had been difficult through preseason (I'm a cross country coach) and family visiting but we've kept his pretty strict feeding schedule. A cup and a half of kibble and about a half cup of chicken breast. After dinner tonight he weighed in on our scale at 35.0 pounds. That's higher than his weight in January before all of this started with EPI and diabetes at the end of May. I couldn't have gotten here without all of the help and support I've received from everyone here. I just hope to be able to return the favor to someone else.
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Aug 2018, 21:45

That is an outstanding update Bill! Congratulations on the weight gain. Keep up the great work.
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2018, 10:34

WOW!!! that is a great report on Ace.... it can often be very difficult to find the happy medium to managing EPI + Diabetes together and if Ace is up to 35lb, above and beyond what he was before diagnosis.... you are obviously doing a superb job managing this minefield... WOW, WOW, WOW!!!
Attachments
Snoopy happy dance.jpeg
Snoopy happy dance.jpeg (10.75 KiB) Viewed 6001 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bpcooper14

Post by Bpcooper14 » 28 Aug 2018, 14:06

THANKS! You've been extremely helpful in helping me navigate through this all. We are about ready for vial #2 of insulin and probably need to run another BG curve. I haven't done much monitoring with blood draws but have been pretty cognizant of how he "acts". I'm going to start adding a little more home prepared to the chicken/kibble mixture and see how he responds.
Hi all, I'm Bill. Ace was diagnosed with EPI on 5/31/18. In January, 2018 he was at the vet for routine check-up and weighed in at 34 lbs. In May after fighting with weeks of poor poo, he weighed 24.6 lbs. On Saturday July 28th, Ace was diagnosed as diabetic.
2 meals per day. He receives 6 units Vetsulin injections twice daily with each meal.
1 cup Victor Multi pro with 1/2 cup ground chicken breast, 1/4 cup sweet potato, 1/4 fat free cottage cheese. 1/2 tsp Pantenex enzymes, incubated 20-30 minutes.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 28 Aug 2018, 21:05

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a GREAT update - you've done an amazing job with Ace - he is one lucky pup for sure :) . I'd also like to thank you for helping on the forum welcome new members and offer advice - it takes a village with these pups.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2018, 21:13

Hi Bill,

I am so glad that Ace appears to be doing so well!

Just a thought here....although I personally think that would be wonderful if you could add more home-made food to the meal simply because i just believe the better/more wholesome the food, the better the dog does.... BUT.... as much as i encourage more real food vs. kibble when/if possible...... it might be wise to wait first until after another blood curve to see exactly what Ace's blood sugar values are before changing the food.

THis way, if you have a BG reading on the current meal.... then when you do alter the meal somewhat you later will do another curve and that will tell you if the slight change in diet did or did not help improve the BS values.............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Bpcooper14

Post by Bpcooper14 » 28 Aug 2018, 21:45

That's kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. I have to touch base with the vet and see when she thinks we should get another curve to see how the big picture looks internally.
Madelon. Just trying to do my part and pay it forward from all of the great advice I've received so far. I know how overwhelmed I was at time. And it's a welcome distraction from doing any actual work while at work. 😁. I just need another project like the EPI log to keep me distracted. Haha

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Aug 2018, 22:12

Good plan Bill!!!! Please keep us posted, keeping paws and fingers crossed for a really good BG curve :)

Judy
Staff

Post by Judy » 29 Aug 2018, 06:48

Great news that Ace is doing so well!
Piper was 13 months old when she began having symptoms and diagnosed at 16 months of age. She had lost 21 lbs from Oct 2013 to Jan 2014 but gained it back very quickly once she began enzymes, B12 and Tylan. She would go on to develop Hypothyroidism, Cushings Disease, SLO, SARDS as well as chronic infections. Through it all, she was just the happiest dog and never met a stranger, everyone was her friend.

Piper crossed the Rainbow Bridge on April 20th, 2018 at just 5 years of age from other auto immune diseases. She will be forever missed, forever loved and her spirit will live on in our hearts and our home.

Bpcooper14

Post by Bpcooper14 » 24 Mar 2019, 18:11

I haven't been in here in forever. Well and had crossed the 40lb threshold and for the most part has been doing well. We've had a few hiccups along the way but nothing major. I work for a college and have been incredibly busy so we haven't done further into switching from vetsulin yet. I may do that once things calm down over the summer and I'm able to monitor more closely to get things regulated.
Most of what we have done to get to this point with both the epi and diabetes had been due in large part to these forums and epi4dogs. We'll be a year in to this June 1st, will probably have another tli test done and I've been trying to find the time to get all accurate BG curve.