Question about food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Dani
Pet name: Riley
My name: Danisse

Question about food

Post by Dani » 30 Jul 2020, 20:34

Hi! Hope you all are doing ok! Riley here is doing good with her creon 10.000 twice a day along with her food! The only problem is she is quite a picky eater, some days she just refuses to eat until I mix some "human food" on her bowl. I was wondering if there is anything I could mix her food with DAILY that would not harm her.

I read in another post that you can give a bit of canned pumpkin and lactose free yogurt, but I don't know if that works for a treat or something I could give daily/once a week...

So far I've given Riley (one time) one tablespoon of pureed butternut squash mixed with her food and she loved it and ate everything on her bowl. Another time I was desperate because she didnt want to eat and I mixed a teeny tiny bit of peanut butter and again, she ate it all.

(Ofc before her epi diagnosis she tried everything that was safe for dogs to eat that i was currently eating. Now with EPI i dont let her eat enything but her food, her poop is doing ok and i would hate myself if i give her something that would make her feel bad 🙁)

Any advice?

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Question about food

Post by jilbert57 » 31 Jul 2020, 09:51

Hi Dani. Those treats are good. Just remember any treats need to be treated with enzymes. Tuna with a little liquid, cheese of any kind, a little bit of canned food or baby food.
Keep up the good work!

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 01 Aug 2020, 14:19

The one thing Montgomery can have as a "topper" is nutritional yeast, and he likes it very much. I reserve it for when he absolutely refuses to eat his food, and it doesn't take much to entice him. Low fat, high fibre, and high in B vitamins, it also smells and tastes like cheese, without the potential bladder infections, diarrhea, cancer, etc...that come from consuming dairy. Anyhow...If he can stomach it, anyone can.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Shirl D.
Staff
State: New York

Post by Shirl D. » 02 Aug 2020, 12:14

Hi Dani,
Have you been having better luck getting Riley to eat? You can add just about any people food into her food as long as it is safe for dogs and you don't put too much in. Keep a close eye on the poop, and if you see any bad poops, you will know that you found something that she can't tolerate well. I would stick to things that aren't too fatty or salty, just because that's not really healthy for her.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 03 Aug 2020, 18:22

Hi Dani, it's Pam. Everything I would have said is already stated, but I wanted to caution you about peanut butter.Some brands contain xylitol, which can be fatal for dogs. In fact, it shows up in other foods for humans, too, so just make sure you don't give Riley anything that has xylitol as an ingredient. Take care.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Dani
Pet name: Riley
My name: Danisse

Post by Dani » 07 Aug 2020, 11:11

Hello! Thank you all for your kind responses! I forgot the password for the forum and I've been trying to log in for the past three days with no result OTL idk why the recovery email took so long to appear in my inbox, but anyway, here I am again!

I used organic peanut butter made from just peanuts so it should be safe for her :)

So far I've added a bit of cheese, butternut squash and peanut butter (each in different days) She is eating well. As long as I add bit extra something on her plate along with her food she'll eat it.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 15 Aug 2020, 16:31

Hi Dani! I'm so glad to hear that she's eating some. Are things still going well?
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.