My dog's isssues are running my life and my vet doesn't think there is a problem

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: My dog's isssues are running my life and my vet doesn't think there is a problem

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 14 Jan 2021, 13:58

Hi there, and welcome from Pam & Tucker in FL! Hey, why don't you go to the page where topic titles are listed, click on NEW TOPIC & tell us more about your doggy? I'll look for you!---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

sienna11711

Re: My dog's isssues are running my life and my vet doesn't think there is a problem

Post by sienna11711 » 15 Jun 2021, 17:40

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I can't seem to figure out the email notification thing and have been working a lot these past few months.

I'm happy to see that Rico lived a long life and that you were actually able to find out what was going on.

It's interesting that you mentioned organ meats- I saw that mentioned a lot on Cushing's disease articles- whenever I fed Orijen, my girl would have accidents almost every other day (I assumed it was age!) and when I would give her a canine glandular supplement (made from a variety of organs) she would pee herself nonstop, leaking everywhere, and pant slightly, so I immediately stopped the glandulars but it took me forever to realize it was the organ meats in Orijen making her pee so much! Additionally, when I add cooked ground turkey to her hydrolyzed kibble, she seems somewhat more relaxed and drinks less water.. but she has such a hard time digesting the turkey properly that it's a tricky balance.

As of right now, we were able to get her off the stomach steroid and the antidepressant which didn't do much besides make her extremely outgoing with people (not a terrible side effect but did not help with hunger)

Behaviorist keeps pointing at anxiety, but we have tried three different anxiety medicines in the past 2 months and she becomes a complete zombie on them. So we are basically at square one... she's eating hydrolyzed food, hungry all the time, drinking water excessively, has begun panting even after a quick potty trip outside, and her chronic UTIs have returned. Something new is that she is also having a much longer recovery time from being at the vet. In the past she would come out panting/anxious but settle quickly (she used to growl and shake like a leaf at the vet and shed an entire sweater) but now even though she is great there (no growling, no shaking, just a little nervous), she'll pant in the car for like 30 full minutes. At the behaviorist, where there is no physical exam, just hanging out chatting in a room with treats, she will drain the water bowl and whine for treats nonstop, from start to finish of the appointment.

The internist wanted to wait to test for Atypical Cushing's until she was off of everything, so going to make our appointment probably for next week, but feeling a little down because she already highly doubts it and didn't feel the test was necessary, sigh lol.

I have been reading through a few blog posts of people who have gone through this with their dogs and the experience sounds so, so similar. I found a canine Cushing's FB group, awaiting acceptance, so definitely planning to post in there. I did also want to thank you all, and thank you so much to Olesia, for walking me through this and bringing up Cushing's in the first place! Really hoping we can figure this out, but you guys have been so kind!