Oat or Oatmeal is good for EPI Dogs?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Paige's Guardian
State: Arizona

Re: Oat or Oatmeal is good for EPI Dogs?

Post by Paige's Guardian » 12 Aug 2018, 20:35

In the past, when my Dane was having digestive trouble, I used to give her boiled chicken breast and white rice. Well, she would pick out the chicken and leave the rice. Also, one of my labs with chronic colitis would also get boiled chicken but I gave him very well/over cooked minute oatmeal to increase fiber for him. Vet said oatmeal was fine but to get the kind that cooks quickly so easier for dog to digest.

So, then I started to give the oatmeal/chicken breast mixture to my Dane when she had stomach issues because the oatmeal is sticky she couldn't pick out the chicken. This worked well for her. She has malabsorption (not EPI) but may have crossed over to EPI in the past month. We won't know for a few months before we can check her TLI.

So, my Dane with malasorption does tolerate a good amount of fiber with her food and enzymes. Not all EPI dogs tolerate much fiber so, I think it would depend on your dog.
Paige's Guardian (Conny)

Paige, 8-year old Great Dane.

Dx: Malabsorption at age 9 months of age. Low Folate. On plant enzymes for 1.5 years. Experienced bloat 2x and Pancreatitis. Switched to Enzyme Diane. TLI tested but never low. Diarrhea when off enzymes.
06/2019--cPL <50 (normal) SID-Tylan 3/8 tsp 2x/day. 1 tsp Pancreatin 6x per meal. Royal Canon Hydrolyzed Protein Dry Food

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 14 Aug 2018, 06:49

Olesia711 wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 14:04
pinglukol wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 08:29
jilbert57 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 11:07 I agree, try it and if the poop goes south, maybe not so good. Are you using any slippery elm?
thanks. i will try slowly.
slippery elm i could not find in india. again i will try. :)
Because you cannot find Slippery Elm in India..... please ask your vet if he or she thinks it would be okay to try Guduchi stem & root... these have a lot of the same mucilage properties as Slippery Elm For example: Stem and aerial root exhibit abundant mucilage canals, dense ceratenchyma and characteristics wedge shaped medullary rays. Phytochemically, the various extracts showed the presence of diverse phytochemicals such as alkaloids, glycosides, polyphenols, steroids, tannins, etc..... BUT..... i am just tossing this out there.... supposedly it is a very safe herb for dogs and cats, and is available in India... but.... i have no experience with it and very little knowledge of it, so please do not go by what i am suggesting.. but rather ask a professional if this "might" be an option- - ask a vet or pharmacist first, if this would be okay to try in lieu of Slippery Elm......
thank you olesia, i will try and update
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.

pinglukol

Post by pinglukol » 14 Aug 2018, 06:51

Paige's Guardian wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 20:35 In the past, when my Dane was having digestive trouble, I used to give her boiled chicken breast and white rice. Well, she would pick out the chicken and leave the rice. Also, one of my labs with chronic colitis would also get boiled chicken but I gave him very well/over cooked minute oatmeal to increase fiber for him. Vet said oatmeal was fine but to get the kind that cooks quickly so easier for dog to digest.

So, then I started to give the oatmeal/chicken breast mixture to my Dane when she had stomach issues because the oatmeal is sticky she couldn't pick out the chicken. This worked well for her. She has malabsorption (not EPI) but may have crossed over to EPI in the past month. We won't know for a few months before we can check her TLI.

So, my Dane with malasorption does tolerate a good amount of fiber with her food and enzymes. Not all EPI dogs tolerate much fiber so, I think it would depend on your dog.
thank you for your sharing :)
Hi, we are Samir & Papia. Our Pinglu is a pure Indian , born on 12 January, 2010. She had gained 23 kg. and was diagnosed with EPI in August, 2016. Then the lowest weight came to 13 kg. She is under food and medicine management of boiled chicken, potato, pumpkin with curd as probiotic and Pancreatin capsules, Tylene, vit. B12 shot as medicine.