Leakage at nights

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Floramac

Leakage at nights

Post by Floramac » 02 Sep 2020, 03:50

Kenzie has started leaking when she is asleep/ complete rest, only at night. It started after the first ultra sound she had for her heart, two weeks ago. I am grasping at straws here but does Tylan have any effect? She is on the minimum of 1/8th tsp twice a day.
Thanks
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Leakage at nights

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Sep 2020, 09:23

Do you mean anal leakage or urine leakage?
Could be impacted anal glands:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... se-in-dogs

If it is urine leakage it could be spay incontinence or other:

https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/ ... ce-in-dogs

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Floramac

Post by Floramac » 02 Sep 2020, 11:21

It is urine leakage but doesn't smell. Also noticed her drinking more.
Kenzie diagnosed Sept 2015. Fed 3 times a day on Millies Wolfheart, Panzym enzymes 1+ tsp per 120grams food, 1/8 tsp tylan twice a day, altenate 1/2 b12 per day. Also on 1 previcox a day for arthritis in paws and 1 Apoquel for allergies. Diagnosed with poor heart contractibility Sept 2020, on 1 Vetmedin twice a day. 2nd heart scan March 21 shows little deterioration so appear to be working.

Latest TLI was 5.5 Previous readings have been TLI - 3.4 and 4.2.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 02 Sep 2020, 11:56

Have them check for a UTI and Diabetes... and if negative.... talk to your vet about checking for Cushings or A-Typical Cushings.

My dog started "leaking" with excessive thirst and it took 2 years to correctly diagnose with A-Typical Cushings since he did not have any of the other more prevalent symptoms/signs like looking kind of bloated nor did he have darkening of the skin... that all came much later in life...... SO.... i'm jsut saying might want to keep this on your radar just in case. .

I have never heard of Tylan triggering something like this. But what i can tell you is prior to my dog Rico being properly diagnosed with A-Typical Cushings... he has yucky stools... light colored too... and yet Tylan did not help nor did Metronidazole... but as soon as the diagnosed him with A-Typical Cushings and put him on Lysodren... within 1 week all his symptoms disappeared. He lived for 11 years with A-Typical Cushings . My vet initially thought Rico had or was segueing into EPI since he had a lot of the typical symptoms of EPI. But when then ran the TLI test, he came back with a score of 7.6 so, although not the best score, we started looking at other possibilities in case it never segued into EPI....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

DLadon
Pet name: Tristain
My name: DETTA

Post by DLadon » 02 Sep 2020, 14:42

My pom Tristain was diagnosed with EPI several months ago. He has been on the enzymes, slippery elm, since and his stool has never completely cleared up. He too has had some leakage issues that come and go. I am going to have the TLI test run on him because I have always thought he may have Cushings, but vets always say no. He drinks so much water and urinates a lot and pants a lot too. He's hair is thin and skin darker on his rear. The vet said leakage was from his age, 11 years. I'm glad you posted this. Thank you so much!

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 02 Sep 2020, 21:26

Was your pup diagnosed with Epi using the Tli test? If so you do not need to retest. The Tli will not increase.

Kiya got spay incontinence 4 years after being spayed.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Sep 2020, 11:22

Hi Detta,

Regarding your pup Tristan..... Cushings is not always easy to diagnose... and sometimes, with some vets, you just have to listen to your gut ..... and if you feel strongly about something, in the end it is your dog, your dollar.

I had a situation with my EPI gal Izzy, when she developed IMHA (immune mediated hemolytic anemia). She was not responding to treatment as expected....Because of my research i read where sometimes with IMHA, they develop low thyroid as a result of the IMHA, not because they developed low thyroid as a stand alone condition .... my vet disagreed with me and said there is no connection. I insisted he test her for low thyroid. So he did, and apologized to me when the results came back. She had low thyroid. So they started treating her for it... and then her very low HGT numbers started getting better. SO you never know.........Sometimes diagnosing a dog can be part science and part guess work............
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........