New Member First Post

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
zuzupetals
Pet name: Bailey
My name: Tig

New Member First Post

Post by zuzupetals » 02 Sep 2020, 12:26

Hello I am new to this group. I found it by chance looking for info on EPI. I have a 12 year old shepherd, her name is Bailey. We have an appointment tomorrow to test for EPI. Fingers crossed it is not but all the signs are there. She has always had a sensitive stomach but most recently, starting in July is has been consistently bad. The vet initially gave her some antibiotics which seemed to help a little but once off them the sloppy stools returned. He did blood work and all came back good for the tests that were conducted. The vet said to put her on a boiled rice & chicken diet, with some special gastro tinned food he supplied. Its not working. So more tests tomorrow. She has lost some weight, not a sever amount but putting that down to the new diet.

In reading this forum, there was a lady, she is located in Canada, as I am, and she commented on her dogs dry skin, and weepy eyes. Bailey has the same. Is this one of the symptom's??

I saw a lot of very good information being shared, so I am glad to have found you all. I will let you know how our girl makes out.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New Member First Post

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 02 Sep 2020, 18:15

Hi Tig, so your fasting test is scheduled for tomorrow, and you'll find out whether Bailey (that's my daughter's name!) has EPI. If she does, I have to say, at least it's something that is very manageable, after some time is spent on tweaking a plan for your individual dog. Also, if she tests positive you will probably be prescribed some very expensive enzymes, but there are other, more reasonable options so don't freak out about that. I'm not sure about weepy eyes & dry skin being common in EPI pups, but a lot of times people may be dealing with other issues at the same time. So, let us know how things pan out, and the people at EPI4DOGS will hold your hand every step of the way. ---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 03 Sep 2020, 06:47

hello thank you so much for your support. Bailey had a very bad day yesterday with severe bouts of diahreaa. She managed to sleep through the night and had an early morning meal of boiled rice, chicken and gastro. Hopefully she has a better day today with no more food until her test this evening. Yes the enzymes info did freak me out a bit, but in reading this forum it seems there are options, another reason I am so glad I found you all. In addition to Bailey's current condition it looks like she has the onset of Degenerative Myelopathy. When we took her to the vet he feels that possibly some steriod anti-inflammatories may help her but did not want to give her anything until we had the stomach issues under control, which we initially thought was something simple to cure with a round of antibiotics. So we will see in the next day or so what the next steps are.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Sep 2020, 11:09

Hi Tig and welcome to you and Bailey.... although sorry that you even might have to be here.

SO glad that Pam and Tucker were able to share some advice, good advice with you (Thanks Pam!)

SO....Since Bailey is really struggling, until the test is done and you get the results.....contact your local pharmacist in Canada (or just go there) and see if you can get a product with porcine pancreatin 4x ... or if that's not available, look for plant enzymes. NEITHER of these two are enough to treat EPI,,, but .... even a sub standard enzyme might be enough to help a little bit until you know if this is EPI and then you can get the proper enzymes.

Giving plant enzymes, 4x enzymes, the proper porcine enzymes, etc... WILL NOT interfere with the cTLI blood test results.

Also... if you can see if your vet can also draw enough blood to test the B12 level. WIth B12 though, do not give any B12 pills (for a week) prior to running the B12 (Cobalamin) blood test.

Another thing with the loose stools... what you can try is SLippery ELm powder.... it's a mucilage and a prebiotic.... if you have health food stores near you, they should carry the loose SLippery ELm powder. It's cheap and usually very effective in helping with loose stools . To read more about what it is, what it does and how much to give, go here: https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 03 Sep 2020, 13:42

Thank you very much for the advice, my understanding is the vet is going to test for B12, folate (not sure on the spelling) and TLI. I will definitely see if I can get the items you recommend below. Tonight is not going to be fun. She hates the vet and with the current COVI19 situation the vet wanted me to send her in with one of his assistants, well that is not going to happen. So the last few visits we have met him outside his office, keep our distance and wear our masks. I'm afraid Bailey will see where we are and refuse to get out of the car... she's done that before....lol

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Sep 2020, 13:58

Hi Tig,

Yep, you got it correct......that B12 test is a "Cobalamin and Folate" test all rolled into one. And then there is the TLI test to test for EPI

Good Luck and PLEASE keep us posted. However....i know you are in Canada, so they may do thiings a little differently there, but here in the USA, they advise to take blood for the TLI and B12 tests only on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday..... because the blood samples are time/temperature sensitive (must be sent in a cold pack) and they cannot sit over the weekend in a lab waiting to be tested.

CAn you call your vet to make sure these samples will not sit over the weekend in the lab .... and if they cannot guarantee that the blood will be tested before the weekend (when labs are usually closed).... then talk to your vet about rescheduling to next week???
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 03 Sep 2020, 14:23

Good to know I will call before we head over this evening.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 03 Sep 2020, 15:56

Perfect... and please keep us posted. GOOD LUCK!

zuzupetals

Post by zuzupetals » 08 Sep 2020, 18:40

Hello well we received good news. Baileys' tests came back negative. All her levels are good and she has no deficiencies. What a sigh of relief. However her bowel movements are still not great. She is still on a diet of chicken, rice and gastro tinned food but seems hungry all the time. I am going to buy some slippery Elm as suggested to see if it helps. Even though she has not been diagnosed can I still give her the Porcine Pancreatin to help with the diahreaa/soft stools? The vet has suggested an x-ray which surprised me and I questioned why. He said to check for tumors! I have to have additional discussions to better understand this train of thought.

Once again thanks so much for the support.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 08 Sep 2020, 19:00

Hi! Glad you got the test results - can you post the B12 (cobalamin) and Folate and TLI scores? There is a gray area where your dog is not diagnosed EPI but may be sub-clinical EPI and also depending on the B12 and Folate it may indicate a possible food sensitivity. As for continuing with enzymes - did you notice an improvement with the poop when you used the enzymes? Have you tried using Slippery Elm Bark powder? You can order it online from WonderLabs and I believe they do ship to Canada. Here's the link to the dosing https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/. It's so hard watching them get older and the issues that come with that. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.