Yeasty Ears

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Yeasty Ears

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 16 Sep 2020, 21:17

Friends, does anybody have a home remedy they have used successfully on yeast infection in their dog's ears? My vet supplied a small tube of ointment that cost $40.00 and lasted four days on Tucker's gigantic ears. The infection is not cleared up yet. Thank you!---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Yeasty Ears

Post by jilbert57 » 16 Sep 2020, 22:58

Some of us have great success with Zymox ear products.

https://www.zymox.com/products/ear/

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 17 Sep 2020, 11:29

i too like Zymox.... a LOT!!!!! as a maintenance ear regimen

HOWEVER.... my non-EPI dog (who has severe storage mite allergies) developed a nasty ear infections a few days after going to the groomers :o .... so i did Zymox and it didn't really clear up the ear infection... so off to the vet we went. THe vet said that topical antibiotic was needed.... so... she gave me a prescription that also did not fully clear up :( (had to do a repeat regimen).... BUT upon paying $$$ for this prescription and after reading the ingredients, i realized main ingredient in it was gentian violet... and then the light bulb went off in my head... you can make your own antibacterial ear solution with gentian violet. i used to have an actual recipe for this given to me by an old country vet..... but that was so many years ago, that i no longer have it.... but it might be something you want to research. You should b able to get gentian at a pharmacy.... HOWEVER.... big warning....if i remember correctly it is a strong blue color.... but i also do remember correctly that it stains.. big time. so you have to pick your location where to apply it..... maybe ask your vet to help you with this if/when you find the recipe/formula.

In any case... once you do have the ear infection cleared up, i highly recommend using Zymox on a regular basis to then keep the ears clear and from developing another infection.... it really works!

Oh.... same country vet also told me that another great thing to use on doggie ears to keep clean is 1:1 apple cider vinegar and warm water... he said that it does not change the pH like some commercial ear cleaners do....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Sep 2020, 12:48

Thank you, Jill & Olesia!!! Yes, gentian violet, in the old days was traditionally painted onto the gums and tongue for thrush....people thrush! YIKES! I would have never thought of that! I ordered the zymox w/hydrocortisone because i have put the cream on him before, and if that doesn't work I'll look into the gentian violet.---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 17 Sep 2020, 13:19

Hi Pam,
When Kiya had a yeast infection back when the Zymox ear solution with hydrocortisone cleared it up in about 12 days.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 17 Sep 2020, 15:30

Thank you, that's good to know. Poor baby rubs his head on the floor & moans. I will continue palliative care until the meds get here. I really appreciate the non-EPI help.---P

Tuckaboo Pam

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 26 Sep 2020, 14:27

ZYMOX----I just received an email from Amazon----"...we recently learned the product you received from Amazon is likely not an authentic ZYMOX product. We're sorry for any disappointment or inconvenience this might have caused." ---Just thought I'd share. What is wrong with people?

Kohlesmomma
State: South Carolina
Pet name: Kohle
My name: Kellie

Post by Kohlesmomma » 06 Oct 2020, 18:27

Hey Pam, poor Tuck. My Kohle has been battling this same thing. I use the zymox as many do, and it works! But if you are looking for a home remedy, I have read where people have had success with apple cider vinegar and distilled water. I don't know the ratio for it, but makes sense that it works, also in the the past I have used over the counter walmart brand miconazole cream it's like 4 or 5 bucks a tube as well, a little messy, but it works also it doesn't work on bacterial infections.
Hope he feels better soon!
Kellie and kohle

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 07 Oct 2020, 20:21

My boy has chronic ear infections - I started using Zymox years ago and we've never had an issue since. I use the Zymox w/hydrocortisone drops - they are AMAZING. He did start an ear infection this year and I used the drops for 14 days as directed and it resolved the problem. I give him a few drops in his ears once a week.

PAM - sorry to hear that about your order from Amazon - I've been ordering them for years from Amazon and never had an issue but then again it's 2020 so who knows!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.