Slimy regurgitation with white foam and some food after drinking water

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Pnagasaki
State: Hawaii
Pet name: Bella
My name: Patricia Nagasaki

Slimy regurgitation with white foam and some food after drinking water

Post by Pnagasaki » 18 Sep 2020, 00:12

My Bella has been on enzymes for couple of months and recently been having slimy mucus with white foam and clear liquid and some food after she drinks water. Her farts are starting up again and her stool are getting loose. I just started her on tylan and will try slippery elm soon. Anybody else has any thoughts on this?

Jean
Forum Director
Pet name: Kara, lost 10th May 2019
My name: Jean

Re: Slimy regurgitation with white foam and some food after drinking water

Post by Jean » 18 Sep 2020, 05:10

this sounds like acid reflux, My Kara had it for years , but it was well controlled

however, the drug we used Ranitidine has now been recalled by US and UK

SO........vets asked me to get a lower protein food, and folk on this forum have had success with Slippery Elm powder

https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/ which you have mentioned

which enzymes are you using ? and what ratio to food

what food ?

are you supplementing b12

and as for Tylan are you giving it twice daily in line with the dosing table

https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/

sorry about the questions

My Kara struggled for years, we found a later meal of scrambled egg and mashed potato before bed , enzymed helped her with empty stomach bile, and reflux over night

let us know, you are never on your own here

Jeanxxx
My name is Jean we live in Liverpool in Uk

I am the Forum Director which I am very proud of

My Kara born 21 July 2009 diagnosed with EPI by cTLI test August 2010 TLI = <1...folate 14 Cobalamin 408, shot down to 94, b12 injections every other day

Lowest weight 39 pounds

We used Panzym enzymes, Tylan and Chemeyes b12 capsules

Sadly, on 10th May 2019, we lost her to DM

Jeanx

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 18 Sep 2020, 08:54

If you are looking for an over the counter acid reducer we recommend Omeprazole or Plain Pepcid(not complete).

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Pnagasaki

Post by Pnagasaki » 19 Sep 2020, 02:33

Bella is on purina pro plan salmon dry food. I feed her 1/2 cup 3 times a day and 1/2 tsp enzyme Diane powder. I also made her sweet potato dehydrated as her snack at night. I don’t give her b12. Should I? The tylan is 1/16 tsp mixed with some wet dog food. Bella is 20 lbs. I also give her some pumpkin purée like about 1/2 tsp with meals

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 19 Sep 2020, 20:51

It does seem that many EPI dogs take B12. Have you had her levels tested? Wonderlabs B12 with intrinsic factor is easy to find. Tucker, 65 pounds, takes one capsule per day. I'm not sure how much you would give to Bella. I give my 10 pound maltipoo about 1/4 cpasule/day. She has tummy issues, not EPI.---Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 20 Sep 2020, 08:53

Hi Shasta. All food and snacks big or small need to be treated with enzymes. If you feed dehydrated sweet potato make sure it is right after an enzymed meal or you treat them with enzymes.
Is it the Purina Pro Plan salmon and rice? If so the rice could be the culprit.

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Sep 2020, 13:10

Hi there! It definitely sounds like SID (small intestinal dysbiosis). If you've already started the Tylan go ahead with it - be sure you're using the correct dose from our SID page https://epi4dogs.com/antibiotics/. Be sure to give it 2x a day 12hrs apart and give for 45days and then slowly wean off - don't stop cold turkey. If you haven't started the Tylan then you could try the Slippery Elm bark powder (be sure to mix with a little water) and give 2x a day. Ask your vet what the B12 level was at diagnosis - most EPI dogs have low B12 or will develop it - they need their B12 to be on the high side of normal 600+ and supplementing is for life. Most of us use the WonderLabs Pet Factor B12 pills as they are inexpensive and easy to administer.

Please keep us posted on how things are going.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Pnagasaki

Post by Pnagasaki » 20 Sep 2020, 18:14

I just got my slippery elm in the mail today. Do I give the slippery elm along with the tylan and b12 everyday? Or is it either or...since I already started the tylan do I need to give it for the 45 days without stopping? So when do I start giving the SE.? Thanks for all the responses.. yes it is the salmon with rice purina pro plan for sensitive stomachs. Should I switch to another kind of food?

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 20 Sep 2020, 21:13

Hi. glad you got the SLippery ELm.... since you are seeing issues now... give the slippery elm with every meal... mix right in the meal add a tablespoon or two of water (this is because Slippery Elm is a mucilage so you need to add a little liquid when giving). IF you want... please check out the page we have on SLippery Elm... give some good info: https://epi4dogs.com/slippery-elm/

Yes, this can be given with Tylan and B12..

Regarding the food... if the food is agreeing with your dog, then i would continue using it.... however... based on the fact that you are seeing issues right now.... it might be that the food is not agreeable... so you might need to change it... BUT do only one thing at a time..... add the slippery elm and watch the regurg and poos for about 3 to 5 days.... and let us know if you are seeing improvement. after you assess adding the slippery elm..... then you can try changing the food if you think a change might be needed.

Tylan (Tylosin Tartrate)... YES... give for 45 days. twice a day with breakfast and dinner. THEN... although not necessary... sometimes we noticed that if you wean the dog off the Tylan (at the 45th day) instead of stopping completely..... sometimes this extra step is also helpful...all you do is on day 45 , instead of stopping completely, give 1/2 dose twice a day for another week. Then the following week give 1/2 dose once a day. Then the next week, just give 1/2 dose every other day and then stop..........

Hope this answers your questions :)
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Pnagasaki

Post by Pnagasaki » 20 Sep 2020, 22:39

Thank you. I will try that. Will keep you posted