thirsty and pee not wanting to eat

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ruby
State: Florida

Re: thirsty and pee not wanting to eat

Post by Ruby » 15 Oct 2020, 21:58

Ruby is alert. Moving around but stumbling from time to time. She had so much mucus in her eyes no matter how I tried to clear them it just wouildn't stop. So I put Vetricy eye wash in her eyes and it seemed to help I have done this 3 times already. She does go out to do her business but I have to guess what she wants. She loves ice cubs and doesn't want anything else. Even a little pumpkin that she has all the time on her food. Jill suggested putting some dog food canned into the ice cubs when I make them. That is a thought. Thank you for asking and caring. I sit with her and keep her company and pet her from time to time so she doesn't feel all alone.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 16 Oct 2020, 12:28

Marilyn, I am glad she has stabilized somewhat. Sometimes, conditions can come on quite suddenly and progress rapidly, which is what happened to Kolby. Other times things can improve and our pups can make a complete turn around.

Has Ruby ever been diagnosed with Dry Eye? Madison has dry eye and I have to put a compounded prescription medicine (Tacrolimus in MCT oil) in her eye every day. She still has discharge from her eye even with the meds, so I am wondering if Ruby may be dealing with this. Just something to ask about. Also could her stumbling be from her eyesight being affected? I mention this just as another thing to consider and ask about......

There is a simple test for Dry Eye that your vet can do in the office.....when he gets back.

Thinking of you and Ruby. Hugs.

Barb

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Post by Montgomery » 16 Oct 2020, 19:19

You can use Polysporin eye drops on pets. Ask your pharmacist. They aren't expensive, but you do have to be diligent with them for them to work. I've used them on my cats and they work well. I hope Ruby is on the mend!
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

eddyb1988
State: Alaska
Pet name: Katie
My name: Eddy

Post by eddyb1988 » 19 Oct 2020, 06:29

Barb wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 12:28 Marilyn, I am glad she has stabilized somewhat. Sometimes, conditions can come on quite suddenly and progress rapidly, which is what happened to Kolby. Other times things can improve and our pups can make a complete turn around.

Has Ruby ever been diagnosed with Dry Eye? Madison has dry eye and I have to put a compounded prescription medicine (Tacrolimus in MCT oil) in her eye every day. She still has discharge from her eye even with the meds, so I am wondering if Ruby may be dealing with this. Just something to ask about. Also could her stumbling be from her eyesight being affected? I mention this just as another thing to consider and ask about......

There is a simple test for Dry Eye that your vet can do in the office.....when he gets back.

Thinking of you and Ruby. Hugs.

Barb
Its weird, people often think Dogs are immune to getting dry eye, but if you look at the research, its actually more common than you'd imagine.

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 20 Oct 2020, 09:03

How is Ruby doing? Let us know when you can.

Barb

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 20 Oct 2020, 21:02

I too was wondering how Ruby is doing. Hope she's better.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 20 Oct 2020, 22:08

Hi update on Ruby...... SHe is up and moving around not stumbling like before. Gets a lot of white matter in her eyes where she can't see. So ,of course I clean them out then she can pretty much see again. My husband is in the hospital so it is hard to get Ruby to the vet. THe vets office called today and said I should take a picture of Ruby's eyes and e-mail the picture to the office. Then the vet can look at them and do something about it???? It will cost me $65 dollars for her to look at the pictures and tell me what she thinks. Yep.

Ruby doesn't want to eat her kibble and pumpkin. So since she will eat this is what I am giving her and hide her B12 pill and 2 enymes pills at each meal in some food from a canned food. So this is the routine ....some pumpkin, some dog food from the can , some chicken white, and some chop meat. And I try and place come kibble there that she doesn't want in hopes that she will eat some. Water.... no she goes to the bowl sniffs it takes a few tastes and then really truly she wants ice cubes...so that is what I give her 10 ice cubes or more oh i know brain freeze. But, that is the only thing I can do for her.

At least she is alert and not sleeping as much. As far as her eyes go a nurse at the hospital that is taking care of my husband said to tell me to use Refresh for dry eyes for tears. So I bought some and put some in one eye just to see what might happen. That was tonight about 5:00 p.m.

Yep, this is a trip ...especially that my husband may be coming home from the hospital. He had that crazy virus....so everyone take care don't panic just play it safe as you can.

markalex
State: Texas
Pet name: Mary
My name: Mark Alex

Post by markalex » 21 Oct 2020, 05:35

So sad

Barb
Staff

Post by Barb » 21 Oct 2020, 14:42

Marilyn, I am so sorry you are going through all this. You are dealing with a lot....be gentle with yourself. I hope your husband recovers quickly and that you stay healthy.

You sound like you are coping with Ruby's eating (or not)quite creatively. At least if the vet saw her remotely, you might be able to get a diagnosis and the correct treatment for her. We have to give Madison a special prescription for the dry eye and then we can also give her Genteal, which makes her eyes more comfortable, but does not slow the progression of dry eye. Only the Tacrolimus in MCT oil does that.Let us know when you can how she is doing and how you and your husband are doing. I know you may not have time to write.

Hugs.

Barb

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 21 Oct 2020, 23:35

My husband is home on oxygen and needs therapy.

Ruby is doing better ever since I started putting Refresh Tears in her eyes. Some mucus not much and she is able to see and is up and around so much more. Maybe this is an answer to prayer. She even wants to eat more. We'll see.

My thanks goes out to Jill she is a terrific help to me. THANKS JILL FOR ALL YOUR CARE AND PROVISION .. I will give Ruby the test soon.