thirsty and pee not wanting to eat

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ruby
State: Florida

thirsty and pee not wanting to eat

Post by Ruby » 11 Oct 2020, 00:29

Ruby is very thirsty and peeing a lot and now doesn't want to eat ...likes ice cubes. My vet is out of town. Emergency wants $121 just to look at her and if there are other mor important pets in need have to wait 2 to 3 hours??? Is there an over the counter test for diabetes and /or urinary infection? Or could this be kidney failure I pray not?
Any help would be appreciated.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: thirsty and pee not wanting to eat

Post by jilbert57 » 11 Oct 2020, 08:35

Go to google search "dog UTI tests kit". Amazon has a lot of self kits that test a lot of parameters. I used the Uritest . Catch some pee in a dish, dip the strip in it and wait .

[https://photos.app.goo.gl/x6TrtPfJBBQfDbWU6]

Has Ruby had her B12 levels checked recently? Any signs of SID?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 11 Oct 2020, 09:43

I'm so sorry to hear Ruby's not doing well. Unfortunately it could be anything - typically when I hear excessive thirst (which will lead to excess peeing) I automatically think of Cushings or Addisons disease and loss of appetite I automatically think of kidneys. Have you tried a stinky topper to see if you can entice her at all?

Thanks Jill for the info on home UTI tests - I had no idea they made those.

Please keep us posted on Ruby - sending hugs.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 12 Oct 2020, 21:09

Hi, Ruby did eat almost all her food today and some last night. I did see the Test for Urinary, etc. I guess I have to order it on line. I tried to call Petco and Petsmart they both said they didn't have this kit. I guess I will try and order it but her vet won't be back till Monday and who knows how long it would take for me to get it shipped to my home.

She has another problem with her eyes.....
I put some Vetricyn in her eyes made it worse....the third eye lids in both are now red and it is hard for her to see because there is a lot of mucus I am trying to get out of her eyes. O brother. I think I will just use some warm water and see how that goes. Her vet won't be back till next Monday scream.

I could just cry. WHich i did already....lol My husband is in the hospital in ICU so things are really tough.

thanks for your help....I will monitor Ruby and hope I can get her feeling better soon. Everybody take care and stay in Prayer.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 12 Oct 2020, 22:20

If you order either of 2 of those kits off of Amazon it would be delivered Thursday. Do you order off of Amazon? I could order one for you Marilyn. Just send me a message with your information :D

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Ruby

Post by Ruby » 13 Oct 2020, 23:40

Hi , all ..... I am really afraid .... I think Ruby is going down. She ate this morning pretty much. Tonight nothing just a tad. She seems to get of balance here and there. I am really afraid. I know you all can't help me but I needed to share this. I just try my best to take care of her and I don't know ...... Please if you pray pray for Ruby doobee Thank you all soooooo much.

jilbert57
Staff

Post by jilbert57 » 14 Oct 2020, 08:52

I am sorry Marilyn. Will you email me?
jill.epi4dogs@gmail.com.
Shevis off balance like dizzy? Are her eyes moving left to right?

Jill

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 14 Oct 2020, 21:32

How is Ruby? I have a candle burning on my counter for you and Ruby. I know how stressful this is. Hugs.

Barb

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 15 Oct 2020, 11:04

How is Ruby this morning? Thinking of you.

Barb

Tuckaboo Pam
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 15 Oct 2020, 13:26

Ruby is in my thoughts.
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.