Reverse Sneezing, Coughing, And Spit-Flinging?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Reverse Sneezing, Coughing, And Spit-Flinging?

Post by Montgomery » 19 Oct 2020, 12:28

Hey all, another head-scratcher. Anyone's furball ever do this?
Montgomery has reverse-sneezed on and off. His veterinarian isn't concerned. To-day began normally enough. He crabbed at Ramona and smacked her in the head, ate his breakfast, had a forehead rub, and then wandered off to look out the window. He then began a fit of reverse sneezing, with coughing, and normal sneezing that went on for ages, to the point he was panting. He was acting like something was stuck in his mouth, pawing at his face and flinging saliva, but there was nothing in his mouth. His teeth are fine. It seems to have stopped, and he's slept peacefully all morning with only a couple of sneezes. I don't know what this is.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: Reverse Sneezing, Coughing, And Spit-Flinging?

Post by Madelon » 20 Oct 2020, 21:11

I HATE the reverse sneezing - freaks me out every time. I'm not sure what to make of it except if he was pawing at his face maybe some sort of irritant got into his nose? Doc has reversed sneezed a few times and it freaks me out every time. I hope Montgomery has calmed and there are no more episodes.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Montgomery
Pet name: Montgomery (I'm a CAT!)
My name: V

Re: Reverse Sneezing, Coughing, And Spit-Flinging?

Post by Montgomery » 20 Oct 2020, 23:05

He seems alright. He's had bouts of reverse sneezing before, but never, never like that. A few and he was done. This was out of control reverse sneezing, coughing, gagging, and finally sticking his hand in his mouth and flinging his saliva. I talked to one of the girls at the clinic to-day but no one has got back to me. A friend had uncontrollable reverse sneezing happen to her Irish Terrier, and the veterinarian had to give her a shot of something to make her stop, but it was a long time ago and she's forgotten the details.
It was really scary. I have an epileptic cat, too, and it was almost as bad as when Falpie has one of his fits. I hope this doesn't happen again. I hope this doesn't get worse.
Montgomery was born 20 March 2012. He eats extra lean ground chicken, lean ground pork and lean ground beef completed with Alnutrin and freeze-dried chicken liver, with hard-cooked egg. He gets two size zero capsules of Enzyme Diane's enzymes at each of his six meals, and a size four capsule of Tylan three times a day. He's a fierce little Spitfire with a roaring Merlin engine.