Hello from Michigan

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
OldeEnglishD
State: Michigan
Pet name: Fozzy
My name: Matt

Hello from Michigan

Post by OldeEnglishD » 23 Oct 2020, 14:17

Hi my name is Matt and my family and I just adopted a 1 year, 8 month old Australian Shepherd named Fozzy. Fozzy came into the rescue where my older son and I volunteer at 27 pounds and out of it mentally. It was love at first sight. The vet at the rescue found Fozzy to have EPI and he was nursed back to (mostly) health. When he was able to be fostered, my wife gave her blessing and we brought him into our home. He fit in instantly with the family (me, the wife, 2 sons age 15 and 10, and our 8 year old boxer). We adopted him after a week. We know that EPI is a lifelong commitment and not a cheap one at that, but he is sooooo worth it. We currently feed Fozzy Merrick Grain Free Lamb and sweet potato with ThomasPet Bio Case Plus pancreatic enzymes, Proviable DC probiotics, and have just ordered (on the recommendation of a FB member of this group) Wonderlabs B12 with Intrinsic Factor (we were using a different capsule but heard these are better for absorbtion). I am sure I will have many questions for you all and look forward to getting to know everyone in this group!
Fozzy is an Australian Shepherd we rescued with EPI. He eats Merrick Grain Free Lamb and Sweet potato 3 times a day along with 1 can Merrick Grain Free canned food (split for his breakfast and dinner). He also gets Proviable DC probiotics with Breakfast and Wonderlabs B12 with dinner. We currently use ThomasPet Bio Case Plus on every feeding but likely will switch to EnzymeDiane when our tub is gone. He has an 8 year old Boxer sister named Molly who doesn't understand why she doesn't get 3 meals a day like her spoiled brother.

morgansh
State: Michigan
Pet name: Eleanor

Re: Hello from Michigan

Post by morgansh » 23 Oct 2020, 15:33

Michigan here too!

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 23 Oct 2020, 18:39

Hi Matt! So glad you're here. About three new Aussies have joined recently. Sooo, the next thing you're gonna want to do is look into EnzymeDiane, which you have likely seen suggested to somebody else on the forum. Her product is wonderful, her customer service is personable, and they are much cheaper than the vet's. No prescription needed. Ask as many questions as you like. We've all been there, we're kind of like a self-help group, with some of us having learned little tricks that just happen to work for our dogs, while others are really smart & can answer all your technical questions with authority. If you want to see exactly what someone's situation is, just read their signature at the bottom of their post. Keep us in the loop, please...Rescues are the best!---Pam & Tucker in FL
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 23 Oct 2020, 22:52

Hi Matt and welcome to you and Fozzy! And thank you to both you and your son for doing such wonderful volunteer work at the shelter AND for opening your hearts and your home to Fozzy (with your wife's blessing :) giving him a second chance!

Sounds like you are well on your way giving Fozzy the best life possible!. The trick to effectively managing EPI is juggling the right combination of the 4 cornerstones of dealing with EPI:
1. Enzymes (giving the right kind, and the right amount prepared properly for your dog)
2. Diet (feeding a diet that best agrees with YOUR dog's digestive system)
3. B12 (giving the right kind & amount of B12 and maintaining an on-going good B12 level with your dog)
4. SID (keeping SID"small intestinal dysbiosis under good control)

Of course the above sounds easy and it is.... once you find the right balance of the recommended protocol for your dog. And that is what we are here for ...to help you and your dog on your EPI journey.

PAm gave you a GREAT suggestion. after you are done with your current enzymes do check out EnzymeDiane. https://enzymediane.com/... Quality enzymes, Excellent customer service and her enzymes are approx 1/3 the cost of brand name enzymes. You get about 3 times as much for the same price as a prescription brand name enzyme. I used her 6x for 13+ years for my dog.... after i just about passed out from the initial one and only purchase of brand name enzymes from my vet...

In any case, welcome and please feel free to ask any questions that you may have!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 24 Oct 2020, 18:33

Hi, Matt,

A very warm welcome to you and Fozzy and your whole family. What an uplifting story. Fozzy is so fortunate to have landed in your shelter and now in your home.

I also agree that Diane's enzymes are excellent and will save you lots of dollars. We used them for almost 11 years. It sounds like you are managing EPI very well. The only thing I would add is to keep a log/journal of everything you give Fozzy and the amount (food, enzymes, meds etc. )and the resulting poos. This helps you to know what is working and what might need to be adjusted.

Let us know how Fozzy does. She is one lucky pup. Congratulations on the adoption!

Barb

shtern
State: Louisiana
Pet name: den
My name: Monica

Post by shtern » 25 Oct 2020, 09:43

Hi there! Nice to meet you!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 25 Oct 2020, 10:39

Hi Matt - welcome to you and Fozzy (adorable name). Thank you for rescuing this sweet pup but especially knowing that he has EPI and that it's a lifelong condition. I will tell you that these EPI dogs are very special and it seems their bond with their humans is stronger than most.

You've been given great advice and I too highly recommend using EnzymeDiane enzymes - I wouldn't have been able to afford to keep my German Shepherd if it wasn't for her affordable enzymes.

Keep a detailed log of everything you give and the resulting poop so you know what works and what doesn't. I also use it to keep notes of anything else going on with my dog - such as itching, behavior changes - it will help you figure things out both EPI and non-EPI as you go.

Please let us know how things are going and ask any questions you have along the way - it takes a village to raise these dogs :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.