Low phosphorus dog food

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Eva
Pet name: Kiro
My name: Evangeline

Low phosphorus dog food

Post by Eva » 27 Oct 2020, 07:34

Hello I have a 6year old male Bouvier mix with king Shepard. He had full bloodwork in early July. Everything came back normal except his SDMA was 18. Vet said could be early warning sign of stage one renal and to put him on Hills KD. I refused as I did research and not only all the problems with the company and ingredients but for early renal to low protein can make a dog worse. I tried him on performatrin senior 0.54 phosphorus for one month and he did terrible no energy very lethargic tires quickly so vet had me put him on royal canin mature consult large breed. He has been on it 3weeks and had a severe allergic reaction. Bumps hives chewed himself raw. Called vet he said take him off and put on benedril. He doesn't know were to go from here with dog food. I picked him up a bag of wellness senior hese been on two days he doesn't like the food and isn't a picky eater normally. I called wellness the phosphorus is max 0.68 percent as fed. If anyone has any food recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Sorry for long msg but just want to give all info.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Re: Low phosphorus dog food

Post by jilbert57 » 27 Oct 2020, 22:46

hi Eva, does your dog have Epi? If so will you give a little background and also post the test results for the Tli, folate and B12 so we can help?

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Buttermom1
Staff
State: Texas

Post by Buttermom1 » 28 Oct 2020, 08:14

Hey Eva. What were the phosphorous numbers?Were the other numbers normal? Were they high normal? Did they do a urinalysis as well? Taking just the SDMA number doesn’t show much. While it’s a great early indicator of kidney disease, it shouldn’t be taken in its own. As far as low phosphorous foods, there are several out there. With a bigger dog I don’t know if you’re looking for kibble or canned or raw, but for kibble sometimes the limited ingredient foods are lower. The research is showing that restricting protein is not such a good thing, and since you’ve got a puppy, that’s really not a good idea. My current pup was diagnosed with congenital renal dysplasia at about 6 months old and we’re feeding Weruva canned food and have had wonderful results. However, she’s only 9 pounds and it’s much easier in the pocket book. We also are feeding her Orijen kibble. Both of these are compatible with EPI as well.
I would suggest joking a Facebook group, Canine Kidney Disease. They are super helpful and have loads of information.

Eva

Post by Eva » 28 Oct 2020, 10:55

All of his levels are normal but SDMA. 18. I am just trying to find kibble or raw made but so far raw is out of the question for made that has appropriate levels which can change batch to batch. He is wimpering pacing very depressed. Walking away from his food. I put down my 14yr hound last week which he has been with since 8weeks. He knows he is gone as he saw him after I brought him home briefly so he wouldn't search.

Buttermom1
Staff

Post by Buttermom1 » 28 Oct 2020, 11:30

If you are interested in pre-made raw, you might want to look at Darwin’s. I don’t recall what the phosphorous levels of their regular diets are, but they make a specific kidney diet. All of their diets are also EPI friendly. There are numerous articles and sites online that discuss lower phosphorous foods and rate them according to that level. Read and learn before looking for kidney specific foods, and make sure they follow the EPI guidelines so you don’t throw that out of whack. Most of all, don’t panic. If all the other numbers were normal and the urinalysis was good, you can breathe easier.
Is the EPI stable in your pup?

Eva

Post by Eva » 28 Oct 2020, 14:35

The vet never did urinalysis just full bloodwork I questioned him on if I should do a urine test but he said no. I was shocked he said wate 6 months and retest. I have looked into the raw that was mentioned I can't get it were I live. Epi? Don't know if that was tested all I know is all bloodwork came back normal including creatin except SDMA 18. I'm really hoping he is off only because of the stress of my other dog. I have him a bath with eucalyptus and tea trea oil yesterday and it helped him a bit with itching and the swelling lumps have gone down 60 percent in two days

Buttermom1
Staff

Post by Buttermom1 » 28 Oct 2020, 15:25

Well, that makes things interesting. This is a forum for folks who have pets with EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency).

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 28 Oct 2020, 19:50

Hi Eva,

As Susan mentioned this forum main focus is for people with dogs that have EPI... but we have run into some who do have kidney issues too. SUsan gave you some good suggestions regarding how to looks for foods for kidney issues..... maybe if you research kidney disease and diets you can find even more information about what to do.

Here is also a FaceBook with over 9,000 members with dogs with kidney disease... maybe this also would be a good site for you to check out:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/211455130573/
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Eva

Post by Eva » 29 Oct 2020, 10:16

Okay thankyou

Buttermom1
Staff

Post by Buttermom1 » 29 Oct 2020, 10:21

Eva, I urge you to join the Facebook group. They are incredibly helpful. Get a copy of the bloodwork so you can post them on their page.