New member, Koda

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: New member, Koda

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 18 Nov 2020, 06:49

Hi, Melissa, and welcome, from Pam & Tucker in North Central Florida. I am one of the few who has relied on internet search, veterinarian advice, and Diane's ScheBo test (positive result) for Tucker's diagnosis, as of yet I have not sprung for the Texas A & M test. Tucker's symptoms have disappeared by following advice I have gotten from all the professionals on this awesome forum, and I hope the same will happen for you. If you get a positive today, you will probably want to do that other test, but I will let somebody else make that call. I just want to say that you should NEVER feel like you are asking too many questions! Everybody wants to help you and Koda. Let us know what the ScheBo says, and best of luck to you. I really admire a foster who only fails occasionally ----Me, I have failed five times, and I am currently of little use to all the needful dogs out there. Sigh. ---Pam & Tucker
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Nov 2020, 19:02

Hi Melissa,

As i mentioned Jill and i had a chat and today she sent me some EXCELLENT peer reviewed protocols for Pancreatitis dogs. EXCELLENT read.

If you have the time, please read and share with your daughter, because at lot of the questions you were asking about the supplements (fish/salmon oil)a and how much fat content should be allowed in the food is recorded in detail in this article. It is 7 pages long but well worth the read.

Just don't get turned off when you first start reading it because the cover Acute Pancreatitis first... but then the article/research taps into how to treat Chronic Pancreatitis and the also approach EPI as end stage Chronic Pancreatitis like i mentioned earlier in my posts.

This article/research is now on our Pancreatitis page.... https://epi4dogs.com/pancreatitis/

but i am also attaching the article here:
2016-1112_ACVN_Pancreatitis_NO-AD.pdf
Pancreatitis in Dogs
(827.41 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Melissa
State: New Hampshire
Pet name: Koda
My name: Melissa

Post by Melissa » 18 Nov 2020, 20:35

Good Evening- thank you all for your replies. Jill, the snap test was Pos on October 27th. ( Turns out, he had gotten into a bag of alfalfa pellets, was vomiting and pooping green piles for 2 days)
And tonight the Schebo test was NEG! SO I guess that is good....

He has had diarrhea since August. He has had terrible awful gas for about a year now AWFUL
Vet wanted to do an ultrasound, he was vomiting again 2 weeks later after the alfalfa feast,, but that night, threw up an intact beanie baby toy, the night before the ultrasound. No vomiting since then!
It's amazing just how well he has been since starting the enzymes, no gas, no smells, no diarrhea.
Here are the vets comments from the ultrasound again,( I still can't believe they didn't find any foreign objects, I actually made him a "hood" it attaches to his collar, made out of screen netting, to keep him from eating rocks, He can still pick up his ball with it on.)

"""Pancreas: the region was imaged and the tissue on the right was mottled and irregular with “islands” of tissue seen within other connective tissue; there is no evidence of active inflammation" Moderate pancreatic mottling and irregularity of the tissue. Rule out chronic pancreatitis with fibrosis. Ultimately fibrosis could lead to reduction in function and could lead to EPI or diabetes mellitus."''

What do you think "Rule out chronic pancreatitis with fibrosis' means..? That he does not have it? Or further testing is needed?

You guys are the best Yes I think life with dogs is the only way to go I can't imagine living without them

Melissa

Melissa

Post by Melissa » 18 Nov 2020, 20:47

Hi Pam and Tucker- Fostering 5 dogs is terrific! Don't underestimate that at all! Imagine if everyone that owned a dog would try fostering, even if just once, what a difference!
Thanks for sharing your story., I'm not sure what my plan will be now that we have the NEG test, I guess I am relieved, and happy he is doing well at the moment. I wonder if I should purchase more enzymes from diane's.....and keep Koda on them. It is just so good to see him doing better, just want him to gain a little weight!
Ok I am going to read a little about pancreatitis in the article Olesia sent me.
Have a great night

Melissa

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 18 Nov 2020, 23:47

Hi Melissa...... just read that the schebo test read negative. normally i would said that this probably indicates that Koda does not have EPI..... HOWEVER....i am wondering if this is a case of chronic pancreatitis that is segueing into EPI.... due to the symptoms, the positive response to the enzymes, the test results.... it all kind of points to this.... unfortunately, there is a window of time when this process is happening that any test, even the EPI gold standard test will give false results..... SOoooooo.... my thought is, since it won't hurt anything temporarily, is to continue with the enzymes, be aware that there very well could be something going on with the pancreas..... keep us posted - -and based on what you report, we will help as best we can........ and although it depends on what happens over the next few months.... i think that if things stand as they are now, i'd have a blood TLI test done to test for EPI.

IN the meantime.... have you seen one of our EPI logs? i'd start keeping one. It is like a journal. ANd share it with your vet.... as this will help you and your vet see what is going on and even if this is not EPI related.... when you keep notes structured like the EPI log... patterns will start to emerge and that can help your vet get a better idea of what might be troubling Koda.
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Melissa

Post by Melissa » 19 Nov 2020, 08:52

Thank you Olesia, I will continue with the enzymes , I am ordering now from enzyme diane. You have been SO helpful! I really appreciate your time and expertise!

Melissa and Koda

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2020, 12:26

Melissa, you are more than welcome.

I also meant to tell you to please share with your vet what i think "might" be happening.... as this may or may not be a possibility... and that we suggested keeping Koda on the enzymes for now as they appear to be helping and won't do any harm short term or at a low dose forever simply because he is an elder dog that may need a little digestive boost.

However, what you don't want to do is automatically "assume" that Koda may be segueing into EPI from Chronic Pancreatitis.... and inadvertently miss what is going on if this is something else.

Again... keeping a journal (use the EPI Log as a guide as to what to look at and record) may really help you and your vet what is really going on.

Please Keep us posted!

Melissa

Post by Melissa » 19 Nov 2020, 20:47

Thanks, and yes , I agree, with all that you have mentioned. Koda looks so well today, I'm so happy for your help and I did order a small amount of enzymes from diane.
I will keep you posted

Have a safe and peaceful Thanksgiving everyone!

Melissa and Koda

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2020, 20:57

Paws and fingers crossed that all works out well and wishing you a lovely Thanksgiving too!
Please do keep us psoted!

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Nov 2020, 16:51

Glad to hear Koda is doing well. Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving as well!
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.