Red eyes from enzymes?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
FinnicR
State: Colorado
Pet name: Finnic
My name: Michael

Red eyes from enzymes?

Post by FinnicR » 19 Nov 2020, 20:01

Our 5 year old German Shepherd started taking enzymes 6 months ago with outstanding results, to the point where he has maintained his weight and health with a significantly reduced dosage. However, over the past few months his eyes (both whites and inner lids) have become red. He has no discomfort, no pain, no itching, no discharge, and no swelling or blinking that would indicate glaucoma, allergies, and certainly no trauma.

Could this be a side effect of the enzymes? Thanks for your feedback...

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Re: Red eyes from enzymes?

Post by Olesia711 » 19 Nov 2020, 20:50

Hi ! glad to hear that you dog has bounced back once on the enzymes.... but sorry to hear about the red eyes. As far as i know, i have not heard that the enzymes can cause this, UNLESS the actual powder got into the eyes, but even then, my thought would be that it would only be temporary until tears flushed it out.

However, i would bring the dog to the vet to have it checked out.... My understanding is that red eyes like that can be an indication of something serious that might be going on that needs attention. Lots of times when something is wrong in the body, the first sign is that there is something wrong, like redness, with the eyes,

Good Luck... and Please keep us posted!
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Loganmax5
State: New York
Pet name: Lola
My name: Logan

Post by Loganmax5 » 20 Nov 2020, 10:22

Your vet will lead a test to evaluate the degree of dampness your canine's tear organs are delivering. They may likewise check for corneal ulcers. Dogs with dry eye are regularly recommended eye drops to keep their eyes sodden. You'll have to clean their eyes consistently.

Barb
Staff
State: New Jersey

Post by Barb » 20 Nov 2020, 20:21

Hello and welcome! It is so good to hear that your pup's EPI is under control and he is doing so well.

I agree that you should have his eyes examined.

We adopted our German Shepherd, Madison, about 6 months ago. She is 7 and she came with the condition, "Dry Eye." Our pup's condition was quite advanced, but we are maintaining her medication and she has been doing well. If the vet suspects Dry Eye, as someone mentioned, they will do a tear test to see the amount of tears being produced. If Dry Eye is diagnosed they will prescribe medication to prevent the condition from worsening. Madison is terrific at allowing me to put the drops in her eyes. Since she was older when we adopted her, I was really concerned that she would not want me to do it. But she comes and sits when she sees the bottle of meds and then looks for her treat! I am amazed.

This may not be your dog's issue at all, but you want to get it checked out.

Congratulations on the successful EPI treatment!

Barb