Hills Rx i/d Stress Stew -- need to switch?

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
Ruby'sOwner
State: Iowa
Pet name: Ruby
My name: Rebecca

Hills Rx i/d Stress Stew -- need to switch?

Post by Ruby'sOwner » 21 Nov 2020, 14:00

Hi, everyone,

I'm glad to have found this forum. My 14-year-old dachshund Ruby (10 lbs.) was diagnosed with EPI almost a year ago. Since then, she's been on Hills Rx i/d Stress Stew (with powder enzymes and B12), which is expensive, but I've kept her on it, because she seemed to be doing pretty well. But in the past few months this food has become harder to get. I have repeat delivery from Petco, and they've had to cancel my past 2 orders due to no stock. I'm now down to just 12 days left of food. I can sometimes get it from my vet, but they're not guaranteed to have it (and it's even more expensive from them). Does anyone have recommendations for similar foods? Or foods you've had success switching your dog to from a Rx food? Many thanks for your input.

Tuckaboo Pam
State: Florida
Pet name: Tucker
My name: Pam H.

Re: Hills Rx i/d Stress Stew -- need to switch?

Post by Tuckaboo Pam » 21 Nov 2020, 15:56

Hi, Rebecca. That is tough, when you can't find their food anywhere. I've had luck with Sport Dog Food Elite, but my Tucker is 67 pounds. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. He eats the herding dog recipe, and he does really well on it. I'm sure you'll get some more answers soon. ----Pam
Tucker was a shepherd/lab mix--- TLI 1.3, Folate 9.7, Cobalamin 666, Lipase 38. Took Diane's Enzymes 4 teaspoons/day, Wonderlabs B12 one capsule per day, and Tylan 1/16 teaspoon/ morning (to hold SID at bay). Taste of the Wild High Prairie, 1 1/2 cups/day, with a total of 4 cups of Fresh Pet. Stopped eating everything in sight, and went from 60 to 85 pounds! Tucker was my boyfriend, and my husband was OK with that. Tucker succumbed to hemangiosarcoma, but we cherished every day we had with that wonderful, beautiful boy. I will always, always miss my sweet big boy.

jilbert57
Staff
State: Washington

Post by jilbert57 » 21 Nov 2020, 19:32

Hi Rebecca, you might want to do some googling on the Hills prescription i/d. They were having recall issues on the stew a year ago and I am not sure if they ever got it completely resolved and that might be why it is not always readily available. This is from 2019 . If they got it resolved no problem.

https://todaysveterinarybusiness.com/hi ... -dog-food/

https://www.avma.org/javma-news/2020-02 ... procedures

Not sure if Hills is still trying to figure it out.

Most Epi dogs do better on grain free and fiber 4% or lower, but if your pup does ok with grain then you would have more latitude if switching

Jill
My name is Jill and we live on the Hood Canal in Washington State. We currently have 2 Jack russells, TJ is 8 and Sadie is 2.

Mickey and his pancreatitis brought me to Epi4dogs.com site in 2012 to help manage it.
He lived from 6/99 - 8/2014

Mickey, Jack Russell. Chronic Pancreatitis. Dianes enzymes, 1/8t 3x/day with meals.

Olesia711
Founder & Research Director
State: North Carolina
Pet name: Izzy
My name: olesia

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2020, 20:49

Hi Rebecca,

Hmmm..... this is Interesting...... i just looked up the ingredients of Hills Rx i/d Stress Stew food and it has a LOT of fiber in it.... which is usually geared towards fixing gut flora imbalance in a dog.... unfortunately with many EPI dogs, if you give too much fiber in a food, it messes with the efficacy of the enzymes and instead of helping them it tends to give them loose stools all the time.... SOOOOOOOooooo.... Ruby appears to be one of the lucky one where she can actually tolerate a lot of fiber and it sounds like she actually benefits from it. SInce you are having such difficulty accessing this food... maybe try another gastrointestinal food (prescription) that also addresses gut flora???? Talk to your vet, see if they have any recommendations? in the meantime... i'll see if i can come up with any suggestions..... OR..... instead of going prescription... you can try the smallest bag possible of non-prescription dog food with similar ingredients & ratio of composition.....
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 21 Nov 2020, 20:54

here's some to look at that appears similar to what you are feeding, but whether these would work, i honestly have no idea...like i said, many EPI dogs tend to do better with less fiber content.....but since your experience is different maybe wone of these might work..... buti would start with a very small bag first:
1. Purina ONE Probiotics, Natural Dry Dog Food; Smartblend Digestive Health Formula - 31.1 lb. Bag (i think some others have had luck with Purina One)
2. Forza10 Nutraceutic Active Line Intestinal Support Diet Dry Dog Food
Olesia, was owned by Izzy, a 35lb Spanish Water Dog (SWD), Diagnosed at 1.5 years old - TLI results 1.. Izzy passed away on February 13, 2020 at 15 years old. She lived with EPI for 13+1/2 years. It was because of Izzy that Epi4Dogs was started... she was the inspiration. May her legacy of helping others with EPI continue for as long as needed.........

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Post by Madelon » 22 Nov 2020, 17:24

Just wanted to check in. - have you found something similar yet? It's so frustrating when you can't get the food you need or they change the formulation of the food. I've gone through it twice and I have a really sensitive boy. Hope you've had luck finding something. Please keep us posted.
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.

Ruby'sOwner

Post by Ruby'sOwner » 25 Nov 2020, 22:32

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply to me. My vet is recommending we switch to another Hill's Rx diet (Microbiome), but there seem to be some supply issues with a lot of Hill's products, so I'm checking out the other forum recommendations for backup plans. Thanks again for all of your help.

Olesia711

Post by Olesia711 » 25 Nov 2020, 23:39

Good luck... it is so hard when you have to change foods to find one that agrees. Whichever food you do decide to go with, what we do suggest is to first try the smallest bag or smallest amount possible to see if it does agree with your dog's digestive system.

The first consideration is finding a product with agreeable ingredients... but then sometimes the issue is how much or how little (%'s) of certain ingredients are in the food that can make a difference.

Paws and fingers crossed that you find an agreeable food sooner rather than later .....Please keep us posted!

Ruby'sOwner

Post by Ruby'sOwner » 26 Nov 2020, 10:50

Thanks so much!

Ruby'sOwner

Post by Ruby'sOwner » 26 Nov 2020, 10:50

Thanks so much!