copraphagia

Epi4Dogs Foundation Inc.’s mission is the advancement of science and education relating to EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency), yielding useful insights and positive outcomes in better managing EPI in dogs and cats. Our goals are to support and/or collaborate with veterinary EPI research and researchers, and to promote EPI awareness by educating the general public, pet owners, pet organizations, rescue and shelter organizations, veterinary schools and veterinarians.
morgansh
State: Michigan
Pet name: Eleanor

Re: copraphagia

Post by morgansh » 05 Dec 2020, 17:12

Madelon wrote: 01 Dec 2020, 21:18 Hi there. You said she's gained all the weight back, but what to do the poops look like? If they are a 2 or 3 on the poop scale then this could be behavioral, however, I wonder if you could answer a few questions to help us get some better insight: what food are you feeding? what enzymes are you using and how do you prepare/dose? are you supplementing B12 and what was the B12 level at diagnosis? does your dog seem ravenous still?

Typically the coprophagia will go away once they are actually digesting and getting the nutrients they need from food. It can be a behavioral issue for some and hard to break. If you could answer some of the questions it will help us be able to give better suggestions to help you and your pup.
Her poos are dark and solid. she eats wellness digestible. i am using enzyme diane. i sprinkle it on wet food and let i sit for 30 mins. I am also giving her slippery elm and B12 with intrinsic. her B12 numbers are good and she has regained all the lost weight.

Madelon
Staff
State: Tennessee
Pet name: Doc

Re: copraphagia

Post by Madelon » 06 Dec 2020, 09:48

Then it definitely sounds like it's become habit. You could try reaching out to a local trainer but picking the poop up immediately and/or using a soft muzzle are a more affordable option. Hope you can get it stopped so you can get back to puppy kisses :)
Madelon, owned by DOC. DOC dx EPI 5/2015 = TLI < .4, B12 406; Folate >24. DOC taught me so much and together we battled and overcame EPI, food sensitivies, environmental allergies but we lost the cancer battle. DOC was dx with hemangiosarcoma 5/2022 and crossed the rainbow bridge July 24, 2022. He is and always will be the love of my life, my soulmate, my heart dog.